• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Less storage than the D3?

rushmore

Extreme Android User
Nov 13, 2008
Kentucky
Based on a video, looks like the Bionic has about 3.7gb less internal storage, but 1.3gb more app storage than the D3. Still a net of about 2.4gb missing.

The video posted in the "Hands on" thread has a close up of the storage page, in settings.

If this is correct, seems some flash is MIA, compared to the D3.

Of course, there is 512mb more ram, but I see no performance issues with the D3 and the extra few GB of storage fits a lot of game roms :) Still, where is the couple GB of storage? Maybe that is not a retail unit, so not the same?

Do you think we can delete that to have more internal storage? I highly doubt that I'll use WebTop.

Same here. I prefer the storage the D3 has rather than the Bionic allocation, but a lot of people will not mind or even notice. My gaming and music addiction does notice that much space missing. Added: I use tablets for other use, so WebTop seems to be taking space.

Upvote 0
I'd prefer to have all of the storage allocated to app storage and use my 32GB MicroSD card for everything else. I find certain apps(such as emulators) tend to be unable to select between a phone's built in user accessible storage and an SD card so you're forced to have some of your data on the SD card and some of your data on the internal storage.

Reactions: Frisco
Upvote 0
I have every Oid emu, Real64, Amiga, C64, Jarcade, PSX4droid and Tiger Arcade. None have problems seeing the internal storage allocation.

Currently use a 32gb microsd for tunes and video, but appreciate some are not game and media freaks and like Webtop.

Added: Be cool if we see phones soon, that dock into a tablet :) I could see the form factor of an SGS2 working for that.

Upvote 0
Hope that's the case, rushmore. My DX2 is honestly been quite bug free for the most part, although IMO that means tweaking the stock phone with V6, sd speed increase, script to swap allocation of sd and internal memory and of course debloating. But it still has some inherent issues that likely will make it my backup phone as I use my upgrade on the Bionic. The Bionic is "looking" to be a nicer, more bug free version of the DX2 with ffc at this point. At least that's my hope.

Upvote 0
They all can find ROMs you have on an SD card? The problem is they do not see the SD card at all if the phone has internal storage.

All of them but Tiger Arcade has no problem, so I was wrong. Tiger Arcade does not have a file manager function, so only sees the internal storage. All the others have file manager function, so you can pick which card and directory.

As far as allocating all of the storage to apps, that seems like overkill, considering most large app data goes to the sdcard and not the app allocation. You will likely never get past a few GB, so wasting a LOT of space.

I am an app hound and have only filled 1.4gb. This includes apps since the G1 days. Most people would be well into using their next phone, before getting near using the space. Heck, probably their fourth.

Upvote 0
. You will likely never get past a few GB, so wasting a LOT of space.

I am an app hound and have only filled 1.4gb. This includes apps since the G1 days. Most people would be well into using their next phone, before getting near using the space. Heck, probably their fourth.

I hope there's too much space. One of the issues I have on my OG Droid is that it keeps telling me my memory is low so I keep deleting stuff to make it as streamlined as possible. I have one game on it now, and even that won't play correctly. I'm sure apps have gotten a bit larger over the last two years, as well.

Upvote 0
To each their own, but allocating all 14 or so GB to apps means:

1. About 11 gb of wasted space, since only installed apps can use it.

2. Less space on the external sd card for media, since app data will need to go there.

3. Hot swapping sd cards not practical, since app data is on the sd card.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones