1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Let me pick your brain about android in my house

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by xyourxhighnessx, Mar 9, 2016.

1. xyourxhighnessx

xyourxhighnessx Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 28, 2015
    Id like to smarten up my home.its long been on the to do list. I recently picked up a cheap nexus7 2nd gen for under 80 bucks that is still in great condition.

I want to use it as one of my control panels. My goal is a tablet in every room but for sake of my buget ill probably start with 3 tablets. All nexus devices.

The living room. The bedroom and the Kitchen.

I want to start with simplicity. A cew smart plugs i can control from my panels and phone. Eventually id like to incorporate appliances cameras etc but i want to start simple and build on to it. So im looking for one smart ecosystem that plays nice with Android

I understand the whole point of these smart devices being able to work right is functioning on one home wifi network.

I unfortunately can not get home internet where im intending to set this up. Soo. With that said i have two logical options. Use my current home internet "solution" (use this phone we have set as a dedicated hotspot for our internet needs currently)

Or get a tablet of mine with tmobile as i understand they have 200mb free data for life.

I have questions about it but if tmo just throttles you after 200mb i can live with that. If they cut you off i can't. But if a nexus2012 lte version will work with tmo 200mb fd4l plan then i can get one cheap.set it up. And let all the devices connect to it.

Or like i said i can use the other phone we use for home internet (it has unlimited data plan) but throttles tethering over a certain amount but it something we can live with/get by with.

Advertisement

2. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!
    VIP Member
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    Male
    I'm retired: every day's a Monday :P
    Manchester, TN
    I haven't read anything to tell me that Android supports controlling any smart home network. It would be great, and no doubt it'll show up in around Android P (I'm guessing here)... but unless there's a closely-guarded secret out there involving Android and a smart home, it ain't happening right now.

3. xyourxhighnessx

xyourxhighnessx Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 28, 2015
    I didnt mean to suggest that android natively runs home automation. However there are brands like insteon (i dont know if im spelling that right) etc and i know some play better with i stuff. And other play better with android.

Theres definitely a place for android in home automation. Search youtube. Plenty of examples. But with so many options i was hoping someone would help me narrow down my choices.

The_Chief likes this.
  4. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!
    VIP Member
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    Male
    I'm retired: every day's a Monday :P
    Manchester, TN
    I see. Well, hopefully someone will chime in... my house is a LONG way from automation :p

5. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    Google now owns Nest, so I guess that's a step towards home automation, at least as far as heating, security, etc, goes. And I presume they do have plans for their acquisition, like integration into Android. I'm pretty sure can already control Nest thermostats and things from their Android app.

#5 mikedt, Mar 11, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  6. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Graphics Manager / Sales
    USA
    Home automation is nice but you'll also spend a lot buying the devices that have Android on them, the thermostat, the light switches, etc...