1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Let's Discuss Google's Inbox

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by BigRedGonzo, Nov 13, 2014.

1. BigRedGonzo

BigRedGonzo Android Expert

Well I've had the new Inbox app for about a week now and I hate to say, because it was so anticipated, I'm just not impressed. I had hopes of something really impressive and innovative, but, in my mind, it just really isn't there. It seems to be a good app and seems to work well, but there just really doesn't seem to be anything that special. I guess it would help if you could add other mail accounts (besides gmail) to it, but that is probably down the road. I have been using Blue Mail for a while now and it really fits the bill for me.

Let us have your thoughts.

2. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker

I've only just gone over to Inbox. It seems OK, but I've not really used it enough to get a good feel for it - I think more time using it is needed!

3. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker

I wanted to try and ditch Gmail all together... really get on board with Inbox, even on line but, as the Gmail link is right there in the top right on Google's homepage, I find myself still using Gmail.

4. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

My take on inbox is GMail next version beta. It seems to be a way to let power users try out some features that they will eventually fold over into GMail and ultimately merge into one.

I tried it, but there aren't any features that Gmail doesn't have that makes me want to ditch gmail. Now that the gmail app integrates imap (and pop3) accounts, it's even a better unified inbox for me than inbox.

5. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member

Inbox is kinda neat as an organisational tool, and I definitely see merit in how it's developing.

My biggest gripe is that, despite notifications being enabled, it's not notifying me of new mail either on my phone or via Wear on my watch. For that reason alone I'll be sticking to Gmail until the next Inbox update.

6. thisISjoel

thisISjoel Android Enthusiast

I like it but I'll probably go back to gmail now that I can route all my addresses through it.

7. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

How do you attach multiple labels to an email in Inbox?

8. BigRedGonzo

BigRedGonzo Android Expert

I've been trying to "learn" to like Inbox. It isn't bad, but the gmail only thing is really a show stopper. I am involved in several organizations that all have email systems and all have issued me an email address. Unfortunately, none of them are gmail accounts. I particularly don't want to have two mail clients on my phone. The new Gmail app appears to be good and does accounts other than Gmail, but I think I will stick to Blue Mail at least for the present. Inbox will be there if I need it.

9. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

I tested Inbox for a few days... and now I've gone all-in. The ability to quickly "snooze" an email until I can deal with it is brilliant, and that's the thing that's really gotten me hooked. I like that those snoozed messages don't clutter up my inbox (making "Inbox Zero" an attainable goal), and they come back (and re-notify me) at just the right time (or even place!).

My dedication to Inbox wavered slightly with the new Gmail redesign... but ultimately the snoozeability won out.

10. amarie82

amarie82 Android Expert

I like it for organization! I also like that I can set up appts with just a swipe! So far I'll keep using it but I do prefer the gmail app!

11. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

I think I would embrace inbox if i could not only snooze the messages, but the sender as well. ;)

12. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member

It needn't be...

If you configure Gmail to access these other accounts, Inbox should also present the emails as it's essentially just another Gmail interface. At least that's how it seems to work... I'm seeing non-Gmail emails in my Inbox, same as Gmail.

D-U-R-X likes this.
  13. tommo47

tommo47 On Yer Bike, In Yer Chair
    VIP Member

Mmmm .. I'm not seeing that. I've set up a non gmail account in the gmail app and it creates a completely separate account with its own inbox, outbox, sent etc. and any emails sent to that account appear in its inbox. The non gmail account does not appear in the new Inbox app, and you can add only gmail accounts.

It has been, and still is, possible to set up a gmail account to 'fetch' pop mail from non gmail accounts. This mail does appear in the gmail inbox and will therefore appear in the Inbox inbox for that particular gmail account.

I do think the ability to add accounts to the gmail app is useful and at the moment I'm content to run with both gmail and Inbox, certainly for the time being, but I'm tending to prefer gmail.

:)

codesplice likes this.
  14. OstrichSaK

OstrichSaK Android Expert

Is anyone else noticing that emails seem to arrive sooner on Inbox than in Gmail? I noticed several emails I was waiting for would show up sooner in Inbox than Gmail on the same mobile device. Sometimes it was seconds and sometimes it was a minute or two so it was a noticeable lag.

15. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member

My apologies, Tommo. The way I've had it set up for some time is to have Gmail poll my various other accounts, not this new method. :eek:

tommo47 likes this.
  16. tommo47

tommo47 On Yer Bike, In Yer Chair
    VIP Member

Hi Slug,

Yeah, over the years I've ended up with quite a lot of email accounts for one reason or another - probably too many really - so have made good use of Gmails 'fetch' function, although I don't use it now having put all my 'other' accounts into my stock mail app which works very well.

I still use Gmail smtp servers for my Orange mail accounts which means I can send via wifi - another excellent facility provided by Google.

The only reason I added an account to version 5.0 was to have a play. :rolleyes:

:)

17. rayfin

rayfin Writer at Phandroid.com

I've been using Inbox since the announcement and I love it. It helps me stay organized with email and not get lost in the flood of daily messages. The only feature I'd like is sharing files from Drive. Just remember that Inbox is very new still. It's o my going to get better and is most likely the future of Gmail. It's Email reimagined. Email + Google Now.

codesplice likes this.