1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Let's Get CM Onto Avant!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by crutchcorn, Jan 25, 2015.

1. rck01

rck01 Newbie

Yeah, I'm overseas using my metro avant unlocked on a foreign network (Orange), so I doubt I'd ever see the update via OTA.

RCK

Advertisement

redsfan27 likes this.
  2. ricki13th

ricki13th Well-Known Member

I wanted to know if the band 12 update works for the Metro PCS version. Also once I flash it will it automatically be enabled and I can get better LTE reception and faster speeds. I know this is off topic but I wanted to know.

3. redsfan27

redsfan27 Member

Unfortunately I don't know about the metro PCs version but I know if you have b12 coverage in your area, it will. Just google T-Mobile 700mhz map and you can check

4. codyedmonson

codyedmonson Android Enthusiast

Metro PCs didn't receive the update yet. If you flash it on a metro device, make sure you set your APN to metro PCs so you can get data connection back.

horsecharles likes this.
  5. rck01

rck01 Newbie

I think I just hosed my phone. I installed the new firmware via Odin and now my SIM is network locked. I had this phone unlocked before I went overseas and now I'm screwed. Does anyone have a link to the stock metro pcs rom for the avant? I've got to try going back to that to see if my unlock is restored.

RCK

6. ricki13th

I found a way to enable it manually. I will test and tell yall what I find!

7. Masterchief87

Masterchief87 Android Expert

Actually when you flash the T-Mobile firmware the T-Mobile APN works even if you're on metro.
    You need to re flash the MetroPCS firmware.

horsecharles likes this.
  8. rck01

rck01 Newbie

I reflashed the metro firmware (the ANK3 release) and now I've got the SIM working again. However, I get a new error that pops up repeatedly: "VolteConfigurationMenu has stopped." I have to click through this multiple times just to access my mobile data settings. Very annoying.

RCK

9. ThreeSevens

ThreeSevens Lurker

So I've been monitoring this since it started and now that videos work I went ahead and installed. While fiddling with things I tried to change my DPI and it seemed to freeze at the bootloader screen. Any ideas with that? I fixed it via reflashing to reset the dpi.

I also noticed everyone talking about this 12th band. Can we enable this on CM somehow?

So far things are running great. No additional bugs aside from the ones already mentioned in the thread.

10. ricki13th

Is there any speed difference between Metro and T-Mobile APNs.

11. Masterchief87

Masterchief87 Android Expert

I have no idea. I never tested it.

12. redsfan27

redsfan27 Member

I've created a new thread under the avant (not root) for people to talk about the update and get help if they need it. Hopefully it will help clean this one up.

Scorpion7867 and Masterchief87 like this.
  13. johnnyl1111

johnnyl1111 Android Expert

going to try porting dirty unicorns to cm11 avant

#1164 johnnyl1111, May 13, 2015
    Last edited: May 13, 2015
    Blu8, nmaxwell_, redsfan27 and 3 others like this.
  14. Nickforever216

Nickforever216 Well-Known Member

Was the FM radio app attended to work? I tried hooking headphones and just get static noise. An FM that works would be pretty sweet! Also anyone get the band 12 to work on this ROM? Through the manual way? I tried and it was failing

#1165 Nickforever216, May 13, 2015
    redsfan27 likes this.
  15. Blu8

Blu8 Android Expert

Okay I finally got Paranoid Android to boot, but systemui is on an endless chrash sequence lol pretty sure I've seen the fix to that somewhere, see what I can do....

codyedmonson likes this.
  16. teyhota

teyhota Newbie

Is it possible to fully unroot and set the Avant back to its official mode?

17. codyedmonson

I'd say once you get that fixed. Make a new thread and post the link :3

18. codyedmonson

Yes, you can flash the official firmware from sammmobile through Odin and it will set everything except Knox back to stock

19. malnash52

malnash52 Member

More ROMs yay

20. Blu8

Blu8 Android Expert

I would but like I said I'm really just doing this to learn/for fun. If I do post it I have no way of bug fixing or anything, due to my lack of knowledge, and I don't want to dump that on someone else when we already have other people hard at work getting all of the bugs in CM11 worked out.
    (literally all I did was copy paste and change some build.prop values, that's pretty much as far as what I know goes)

21. codyedmonson

It wouldn't necessarily be dumping it on someone else, you got the ROM booting, you could let another dev take over with the bug fixes, or ask another Dev to help you or give it to another dev and tell them that you will help as much as possible

22. johnnyl1111

you could make it baseless. just take the files you copied and put them in a flashable that flashes over cm. that way if cm gets updated you dont have to remake it. the end user can just flash it over the new build. make sure you edit the updater script so that it doesnt format /system and it will just overwrite the cm files with paranoid files. then theres not really any dev support needed for paranoid. plus you dont need to get the cm devs permission to port because it doesnt contain any of their files.

#1173 johnnyl1111, May 13, 2015
  23. Blu8

Blu8 Android Expert

Okay, I'll try that next. I was actually thinking it was going to be a pain when CM11 was updated, that solves that. About to try Carbon lol thanks for the help though, I really appreciate it.
    Edit: Would the build.prop changes also go in that zip?

24. johnnyl1111

yes build.prop needs to go too but you could make it a seperate flashable because some fixes for cm might be in the build.prop then you could just update the build.prop flashable to match the new cm build without updating the whole baseless flashable

Samsung Galaxy Avant Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Avant release date was July 2014. Features and Specs include a 4.5" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1.5GB RAM, Snapdragon 400 processor, and 2100mAh battery.

July 2014
Release Date
Reviews