• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Let's talk cases for the HTC EVO 3D.

I've been looking for a case since I picked up the 3vo last Friday. I checked out a few at bestbuy but I didn't fall in love with any of them. I was going to get the Defender but I felt it was too bulky at that time. So I've been reading reviews on cases all week. I ended up going to radioshack today and got the Defender since that was the best case they had. I've had it for less than an hour and I already know I won't be keeping it. It is just too bulky. Also the part around the earpiece is not very comfortable and the screen protector takes away from the 3vo's beautiful screen.

Needless to say I am going to return the defender. I would like to wait for the HC Ballistic to be released but I am nervous about not having a case until then.

Has anyone here been able to compare the Defender and the Commuter side by side? Radioshack had the Impact but not the Commuter. The Impact is basically just a silicon case that comes off way to easily. I am thinking the Commuter might be a good compromise between the Defender and the Impact.

Upvote 0
I just contacted Ballistic to get an updated eta for the cases and here is the reply that I received a few minutes ago. :( I will still wait but I was being a cheapo and not using any case but I am a nervous wreck thinking I will drop it at any moment. I may breakdown and get something until the Ballistic comes out. See the reply from Ballistic below.

Jeff,

We apologize but we still do not have a specific date for the release of our HC product for the 3D case. Originally they were expecting it within three weeks but that date has changed. Currently we still do not even have a time frame for production. Our web design team is working on our site for better times as just coming soon. The SG for the 3D Evo is on order and should be available soon. Again there is not specific date.

We do have your email just in case we here something on available times. Sorry that I could not give you better answers. Both the SG and HC should be available late this month early Aug.

If you would like to you could shoot me an email once a week for a status for any new information I might have for you.

Thank you again,
Terry

Upvote 0
Just do like me and get a cheap case off ebay to hold you over until the one you want is finally released. The one I got was like $3.50 or something like that with free shipping. It works for now, and even covers the cameras on the back.

When that HTC kickstand case/battery cover is finally released then this generic one will hit the boneyard.

Upvote 0
@Hurtem
I realize you're probably not too happy with OtterBox, but I bet if you called them or the store you bought it from you could get your money back. I'd recommend the OtterBox Commuter. It's a little more protection without the bulk of some of the crazier Defender series cases. Also, the Commuter wont stretch out because of the way it's built and held to the phone. Hope this helps. =)

Reactions: Hurtem
Upvote 0
I was gonna hold out for the Trident as well, but their Facebook page stated that they havent even started developing a case for the 3dvo about 2 weeks ago, so I went ahead and got the Otterbox Defender. I gotta say I love the look and protection of this case. Sorry Trident "the early bird gets the worm" and all that jazz, since I cant see myself spending another 40 or so bucks for a case.

Upvote 0
I found the Commuter at a local Sprint store. I bought it and returned the Defender. The Commuter is a nice compromise. I wish the hard part wrapped around the top and bottom though. I don't like how the silicon is loose around the top and bottom. It would be nicer if the plastic wrapped around the middle of the bottom and top just to help keep the silicon in place. Don't get me wrong, it isn't that loose but it could be better. It is good enough for now. I will check out the cases that come out over the next few months. For now the Commuter is good enough for me.

I do need to find a good screen protector now. I installed the one that came with the Commuter but the bottom edge didn't adhere well. I am going to read some screen protector threads to see which one is the best rated.

Upvote 0
I was excited in anticipation of the Otterbox Commuter Case. I have had much success and satisfaction with Commuter cases on my Curve 2, Hero, and EVO 4G. To my dismay, I felt it did not meet its predecessors standards by covering the exposed charging ports and headset jack with detachable gel flaps. Also, both cameras are completely exposed on the back. I realize the EVO 4G Commuter has the camera, flash, and speakerphone portion exposed, but it seemed to add better protection because the camera sits deeper in the case.

So I surfed online and bought the Case-Mate ToughCase. Similar to the Otterbox Commuter, it has a gel case which wraps around the phone followed by a hard plastic case. No screen protector was included. I bought the ToughCase on eBay from a company called MobileCityOnline in New York City. The total price was a shade under $24 which included shipping.

What sold me on the Tough Case is that the gel and plastic casings cover the areas between the two cameras and flash. Moreover, there is a vertical sliver for the speakerphone parallel to the camera and flash holes. I was surprised at the feel of the case. The two layered protection adds little bulk, yet the 3VO feels secure and protected. I'll try to add pics later today.

Upvote 0
I was excited in anticipation of the Otterbox Commuter Case. I have had much success and satisfaction with Commuter cases on my Curve 2, Hero, and EVO 4G. To my dismay, I felt it did not meet its predecessors standards by covering the exposed charging ports and headset jack with detachable gel flaps. Also, both cameras are completely exposed on the back. I realize the EVO 4G Commuter has the camera, flash, and speakerphone portion exposed, but it seemed to add better protection because the camera sits deeper in the case.

So I surfed online and bought the Case-Mate ToughCase. Similar to the Otterbox Commuter, it has a gel case which wraps around the phone followed by a hard plastic case. No screen protector was included. I bought the ToughCase on eBay from a company called MobileCityOnline in New York City. The total price was a shade under $24 which included shipping.

What sold me on the Tough Case is that the gel and plastic casings cover the areas between the two cameras and flash. Moreover, there is a vertical sliver for the speakerphone parallel to the camera and flash holes. I was surprised at the feel of the case. The two layered protection adds little bulk, yet the 3VO feels secure and protected. I'll try to add pics later today.

I would like to check this out. Do you have a link?

Upvote 0
I would like to check this out. Do you have a link?

Here's the Tough Case link from their website: Case-mate Tough Case for HTC Evo 3D (Black) at MobileCityOnline.com

I was unsuccessful attaching the link from their eBay auction. It's the same price on both websites.

Another pleasant surprise was the timeliness receiving this case. I ordered through eBay on July 1st with standard USPS shipping. With the 4th of July holiday weekend, the company sent me an email showing the case shipped on July 5th from New York City, and I received it at my California address on July 7th.

Reactions: mak916
Upvote 0
My friend got the Casemate Pop and didn't like it and is sending it back. She said it was hard to get off and the back was coming off of the phone and the kickstand wasn't the best. Others may like it but I was going to get it too now I decided to wait. I guess I'll do Seidio or wait for the HTC one.

This looks nice

Can you give the results once you get it.

Reactions: Complex757
Upvote 0
Thanks airdog, I was just looking at those on Amazon. Question: how well do the buttons work through the TPU? Are they fairly easy to press? The camera button in particular.

The camera button is a little stiff but works fine. I do wish it was a little thinner and gave a better feel. I've been thinking about taking an exacto knife and cutting away the part that covers the camera button. Just haven't done it yet...

Upvote 0
I just bought one of these:
Dynex™ Hard Drive Case : Dynex
1615216_sa.jpg

It fits my Evo3D perfectly with the OtterBox Commuter case attached to it. Also, it's still comfortable in the pocket with my Evo3D inside. :)

Upvote 0
It's tough to go through all 5 million posts so I may have missed a good case, but I can't seem to find one that fits my needs.

Does anyone know of a case that is pretty discrete, protects well, and has a kickstand? I don't want to carry around a brick. I want a case that doesn't add too much to the phone.

I'm also wondering about who makes good screen protectors. From what I've read here, it seems clarivue is a good brand. Any other solid brands for a good price?

Thanks

Upvote 0
It's tough to go through all 5 million posts so I may have missed a good case, but I can't seem to find one that fits my needs.

Does anyone know of a case that is pretty discrete, protects well, and has a kickstand? I don't want to carry around a brick. I want a case that doesn't add too much to the phone.

I'm also wondering about who makes good screen protectors. From what I've read here, it seems clarivue is a good brand. Any other solid brands for a good price?

Thanks
On the case, no, I don't think such a case is available yet. I am hoping the HTC kickstand case (possibly just a new battery cover and not a whole case) will be what you (and I) are looking for. It's supposedly going to be available sometime in July.

On the screen protector, the zagg is my personal favorite. Pretty expensive but it has a lifetime guarantee, and they will install it for you too (and installation also has a lifetime guarantee).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones