• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Let's talk cases for the HTC EVO 3D.

Just type in coupon code Grab20 My friend just emailed and he loves the kickstand case. Said it works with his his combo convert stuff he got from seidio and he really likes it. But he only got 15% off and now it's 20. But only the black on is available right now and I may just get black if I decide to get one. I'm gonna wait and see my friends tomorrow.

How can I get one of those 20% off coupons?

Reactions: BlackDynamite
Upvote 0
Just type in coupon code Grab20 My friend just emailed and he loves the kickstand case. Said it works with his his combo convert stuff he got from seidio and he really likes it. But he only got 15% off and now it's 20. But only the black on is available right now and I may just get black if I decide to get one. I'm gonna wait and see my friends tomorrow.

Black is my first choice. Thanks!

Upvote 0
I just got a 20% off Sedio coupon in the mail. My friend just got his kickstand case from them today I need to see how he likes it. I may go into Sprint tomorrow and look at the purple one again. I almost got it on launch day but didn't like how it left open the top and bottom on the front. I do know I really love the dock Seidio sent me to review and I posted it earlier today.

The Body Glove isn't all that bad really... It can be mistaken for a skin, but otherwise, it served it's purpose as a pretty good kickstand case. Much better than the Platinum case, with it's flimsy kickstand. Having the top exposed also isn't as bad as some people make it out to be.. A simple solution would be to keep it upright in your pocket. I've done it all the time. Even upside down, I didn't have any problems with it turning on. I still plan on using the Body Glove case at some point, but I highly doubt that I'll downgrade back to the stock battery anytime soon. But for what it's worth, by far, it's "the" best kickstand case on the market for the 3DVO.

Upvote 0
The Seidio kickstand case is really nice. I have both the Casemate Pop and the Seidio Surface w/ Kickstand. While both have their advantages and disadvantages, the Seidio one has less disadvantages.

The Casemate Pop is a bit bulkier. It's also damn hard to remove. The power button is hard to push. The kickstand is a little flimsier, not much, though. But it is more likely to protect the phone from water damage, as it covers everything but the screen, the MHL port, the reset button and, oddly enough, the back panel removal slot on the bottom. I also like it's body styling. The single piece case is kinda nice. But, because of it's bulk, the camera is really recessed into the body. The speaker is covered, though. It doesn't have too much of an impact, but just seemed like sloppy design work.

I have a full review of the kickstand case from Seidio in the Seidio case review thread, if anyone is interested.

Reactions: ProfeZZor X
Upvote 0
I ended up buying an Otterbox Defender. I had the Commuter that I got when i bought the phone. I liked the Commuter, but was looking for one with a holster. I was a bit worried at first, because I had seen a lot of people complain about how bulky it was, and how high the edges are.

Overall, I am pretty happy with it. It is a bit bulkier than the Commuter, but not enough to be bothersome. If you think the Commuter is too big then definitely stay away from the Defender. The high sides do take some getting used to and if you have big fingers it probably will suck for you.

The holster is pretty good too. The phone clips in nice and securely. The ratcheting clip is also very firm, so it will definitely not accidentally turn. You can also use it as an impromptu kickstand, which is nice.

All in all I am very happy with my purchase.

Upvote 0
My friend loves his Seidio kickstand case. He showed it to me last night and said it's a keeper. It's cool how the kickstand comes out a ceratin way and you can turn the phone around and charge it with the kickstand up. I really liked it too.

The Seidio kickstand case is really nice. I have both the Casemate Pop and the Seidio Surface w/ Kickstand. While both have their advantages and disadvantages, the Seidio one has less disadvantages.

The Casemate Pop is a bit bulkier. It's also damn hard to remove. The power button is hard to push. The kickstand is a little flimsier, not much, though. But it is more likely to protect the phone from water damage, as it covers everything but the screen, the MHL port, the reset button and, oddly enough, the back panel removal slot on the bottom. I also like it's body styling. The single piece case is kinda nice. But, because of it's bulk, the camera is really recessed into the body. The speaker is covered, though. It doesn't have too much of an impact, but just seemed like sloppy design work.

I have a full review of the kickstand case from Seidio in the Seidio case review thread, if anyone is interested.

Upvote 0
So I ordered the Seidio kickstand case (haven't received it yet). Since it doesn't protect the camera, what is everyone using with that case to protect the camera?

Is there a screen protector that just covers the camera?

There is... I don't recall the name of who makes it, but there is a thread aptly titled in regards to a camera lens protector. The thread shouldn't be more than two pages back.

My Seidio extended battery case is so deep that I don't think I have anything to worry about with my lenses.

Upvote 0
Bought the black seidio surface with the kickstand on mobilecityonline.com for $25 plus like $4 shipping. Love the case so far! The kickstand is sturdy in both the long and short way, the case isn't bulky and protects the phone. I've seen some concern with protecting the camera lens above, but I don't think you have to worry about the camera lens so much because the case does protrude out further than the lens. I can't see how it will get hit unless you drop it on a rock that has an obscured shape or something wacky like that. My biggest long term concern is how the appearance of the case will hold up against drops. I'd recommend it.

Reactions: BlackDynamite
Upvote 0
Bought the black seidio surface with the kickstand on mobilecityonline.com for $25 plus like $4 shipping. Love the case so far! The kickstand is sturdy in both the long and short way, the case isn't bulky and protects the phone. I've seen some concern with protecting the camera lens above, but I don't think you have to worry about the camera lens so much because the case does protrude out further than the lens. I can't see how it will get hit unless you drop it on a rock that has an obscured shape or something wacky like that. My biggest long term concern is how the appearance of the case will hold up against drops. I'd recommend it.
So it protrudes out around the camera? Great news. I was concerned about the camera but now not so much. Thanks for the info!

Upvote 0
I took my phone out of it's case tonight just for kicks... I forgot how thin, cool, and sleek the phone looks without a case. I wish I was confident enough in my "phone holding abilities" to brave going "case naked" lol... Alas, I am not.

I would still very much like to find a Messenger Pouch like the one they made for the Evo4G that was made for the Evo3D. The one made for the 4G doesn't fit the Evo3D perfectly. The top sticks up a bit. Belt clip would be nice too, or at least a clip loop so I could attach it to my backpack.

Now, a leather belt holster that held my Evo3D+OtterBox Commuter would equal Nirvana! If anyone finds anything like that, please PM me.

Upvote 0
So only now do I get an email from being on Ballistic's waiting list, telling me that now I can order their case online... Hah, too little too late. Had they been available a month sooner, I probably would have still ended up with the stock battery, and would have been done with buying new accessories for the 3DVO. But now, I'm perfectly happy with my Seidio extended battery & case... with the exception of it not having a kickstand.

Upvote 0
I have always hated cases on my phones, but in the end I always get a screen protector and case. That said, I always look for the thinnest, lightest thing I can find that looks good and fits well. These have always been TPU (thermoplastic urethane) cases. As with all my past phones, I purchased 3 different TPU cases from Ebay and selected the one I liked best. This is it:

It is very thin, fits like a glove, protects the camera back very well, and looks really cool on the phone:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SPRINT-HTC-EVO-3D-BLACK-HYBRID-GEL-CASE-COVER-TPU-/260837558597?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item3cbb214945

I also tried an argyle smoke case it it was really stiff. This one fits quite a bit better and I like the little knurled sides. They have other colors, but well, black. 'nuff said.

Give it whirl. You'll spend more than that on fast food for lunch tomorrow.

Upvote 0
I have always hated cases on my phones, but in the end I always get a screen protector and case. That said, I always look for the thinnest, lightest thing I can find that looks good and fits well. These have always been TPU (thermoplastic urethane) cases. As with all my past phones, I purchased 3 different TPU cases from Ebay and selected the one I liked best. This is it:

It is very thin, fits like a glove, protects the camera back very well, and looks really cool on the phone:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SPRINT-HTC-EVO-3D-BLACK-HYBRID-GEL-CASE-COVER-TPU-/260837558597?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item3cbb214945

I also tried an argyle smoke case it it was really stiff. This one fits quite a bit better and I like the little knurled sides. They have other colors, but well, black. 'nuff said.

Give it whirl. You'll spend more than that on fast food for lunch tomorrow.

I got 3 of the same case (2 clear and one solid black) along with 3 screen protectors for $10. I was impressed with the fit and finish of the case, you cannot beat eBay deals.

Upvote 0
I picked up the Case Mate Pop case in white. I've had it just under a week and while I love the looks of it, I am disappointed with the quality of the rubber used. I've been setting it screen down when not in use for the sake of not scuffing that pretty white back (since it's new) and now the rubber around the screen is already showing wear. It looks like an eraser does after use. Little bits kind of rolled up all over it. They brush off fine, but the rubber now looks almost dried and flaky. I'm careful not to slide it around while it's setting there too. There's signs of wear too on the left side grip where the palm of my hand rests. Might shoot Case mate an email about it.

Edit: Just read through some comments on the Case Mate site for the iphone 4 version of this case. Many reports of the rubber wearing out quickly. Hmmm...sucks.

Upvote 0
Yeah I wanted the white casemate pop then my friend returned hers and others didn't like it. Said it was hard to get off too and that it pulled off the back of your phone. But now Seidios kickstand version is out and everyone loves it and I am buying one soon when the next coupon code hits.

I picked up the Case Mate Pop case in white. I've had it just under a week and while I love the looks of it, I am disappointed with the quality of the rubber used. I've been setting it screen down when not in use for the sake of not scuffing that pretty white back (since it's new) and now the rubber around the screen is already showing wear. It looks like an eraser does after use. Little bits kind of rolled up all over it. They brush off fine, but the rubber now looks almost dried and flaky. I'm careful not to slide it around while it's setting there too. There's signs of wear too on the left side grip where the palm of my hand rests. Might shoot Case mate an email about it.

Edit: Just read through some comments on the Case Mate site for the iphone 4 version of this case. Many reports of the rubber wearing out quickly. Hmmm...sucks.

Upvote 0
I just wanted to add my experience with the cases I have had for my 3d. I originally bought the platinum series case from Best buy. I did not like it at all. It is a two piece case and I could feel the phone moving around in the case. No good if you ask me.

I did more research and went with the TPU Matte Back Black Flexible Case. I love it. It is a one piece case that is not just flimsy rubber. It feels rigid, yet is a little flexible. Best of all, it is very slim. I wanted something that would not make the phone feel bulky and this is it. You almost cant tell there is a case on it. The front of the case, along the edges, has a glossy shine that matches the phone perfectly. It fits just right and you cannot feel the phone shift inside the case.

The only problem, as people have said before, is that the "on/off" switch on the top of the phone is a little tougher to manage. It is not bad at all, but a noticeable difference. I have already gotten used it though.

I did want to add that I also purchased the Steinheil ultra fine screen protector and it is way better than the Zagg protector I had. The Zagg left a rainbow effect on the screen that was awful. The Steinheil distorts only a little bit but absolutely no fingerprints or smudges. I love it too. Zagg advertised no fingerprint or smudges and I had them within a day of use. None with the Steinheil.

I hope this helps potential buyers

Upvote 0
I brought a Ballistic SG case for my evo 3D which I really love. Nice look and feels tough. Raised edges at the corner means the screen isn't flushed to the desk when you lay it face down. The one caveat for the tough protection is that it does add bulk to your phone. Still managed to slip it into my jean pocket but bigger & heavier. And no kickstand! Did found a vertical case from Reiko which fits the protected case. Now my sister brought a Seidio Surface case for her Photon. I imagine the look would be the same for Evo 3D. The surface case has one version with kickstand. It did look really good and fits more flush to the phone, making the case less obtrusive. The burgandy color was really beautiful. If you don't care about protection and want a slim case w/ kickstand, I would recommend the Seidio Surface + kickstand. I am actually planning to buy the Seidio case also. For everyday use, I am going with the Ballistic SG. For occasions where I don't want to use a holster/leather case, I would use the Seidio Surface to get a slimmer profile.

Upvote 0
I brought a Ballistic SG case for my evo 3D which I really love. Nice look and feels tough. Raised edges at the corner means the screen isn't flushed to the desk when you lay it face down. The one caveat for the tough protection is that it does add bulk to your phone. Still managed to slip it into my jean pocket but bigger & heavier. And no kickstand! Did found a vertical case from Reiko which fits the protected case. Now my sister brought a Seidio Surface case for her Photon. I imagine the look would be the same for Evo 3D. The surface case has one version with kickstand. It did look really good and fits more flush to the phone, making the case less obtrusive. The burgandy color was really beautiful. If you don't care about protection and want a slim case w/ kickstand, I would recommend the Seidio Surface + kickstand. I am actually planning to buy the Seidio case also. For everyday use, I am going with the Ballistic SG. For occasions where I don't want to use a holster/leather case, I would use the Seidio Surface to get a slimmer profile.

I am still waiting on the Ballistic HC case. Its crazy how log it is taking.

Upvote 0
I recently got the Seidio Active Extended case, which goes on top of their 4000mah extended battery and replacement door. I have a similar one on my Evo 4G and it was fantastic. The materials this generation are even better. It has a really nice soft feel to it even on the skeleton part, which is pretty much overkill as far as protection goes. I really feel like I could chuck it at a wall and would stand no chance of hurting my phone. It consists of two parts. The soft inner silicone case and the "exoskeleton" as they call it.

I really don't see myself buying anything else in the future, as I only keep my phones for a year usually. Highly recommended.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones