1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Let's talk VOIP options please

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by angiembfl, May 3, 2012.

1. angiembfl

angiembfl Well-Known Member
    None

May 3, 2011
    NE FL
    Here's my problem. I live right on the edge of the VZW coverage area and really want to dump my home phone that is very rarely used and cost too much. So I think I've heard there are come apps out there that use wifi and voip. Which are these and how do they work? Do they work well? If I have service (briefly) then lose it is it smooth transition to wifi or will the call be dropped? Also, does it interact with Google Voice? I have that already but only use it for voice mail so haven't really used it for it's full potential. I either need to use mine, my hubby, and teens cell numbers or one GV number as our house number. Is that possible? Teen is home quite often alone and needs a way to contact the outside world.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Advertisement

2. lexluthor

lexluthor Android Expert
    None

May 15, 2010
    Long Island, NY
  3. TheyCallMeBT

TheyCallMeBT Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 29, 2012
    Male
    PBXes + GV + an app called sipdroid also works and is free.

Are you interested in mobile to mobile options with people that you know, or just telephone (number) based calls?

4. angiembfl

angiembfl Well-Known Member
    None

May 3, 2011
    NE FL
    Thanks for your responses. I need it for both mobile to mobile and regular phone numbers. I want to replace my landline in a no service area with something using wifi.

5. TheyCallMeBT

TheyCallMeBT Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 29, 2012
    Male
    Ok. I don't have time to read through it, but this is the thread. I haven't tried it yet myself. Read the later posts.. sounds like there may be issues with pbxes (the service provider, more or less). But I'm not sure.

http://androidforums.com/android-ap...ip-calling-using-google-voice-sipdroid-7.html

I'm also not sure how if you use GV as your voicemail (which I just started doing again last night) and also to ring other numbers.. if either of those are affected.

Any way, if it is still working, you should be able to set up any of your Android phones/ devices with it. So you could use that as your home phone number and you could have one Android device left at home with no cellular service connected.

There seems to be many options for this, but this option is what it looks like most Android users are using.

6. FrankXS

FrankXS Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 19, 2011
    Denver, CO
    I can't help you on getting free Verizon Cell phone service (great idea though, maybe I'll suggest that to VZW!). :D But what you really need, technically, is a Verizon Network Extender for voice calls and you can continue to use Wifi for data since the Network Extender is only 3G. You do need a Verizon cell phone plan to be able to use the Network Extender, though.

Verizon Network Extender: Verizon Wireless Network Extender | Verizon Wireless

-Frank