• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Let's try this again...Broken Screen!!

MaxPower

Jan 19, 2010
NYC
Since my original thread was deemed inappropriate due to someone (NOT ME!!) mentioning "fraud".

I don't see why that warrants the mods closing my thread were I never once suggested "fraud".

Now back to my problem that I need help with (I'm pretty sure that's the principle purpose of this forum).

I'm leaning towards replacing the broken screen myself. Kinda sounds fun. A real bonding experience with my EVO. :D

But I'm confused about what parts I would need.:thinking:

As far as I can tell the glass is all that needs replacing. The digital screen is still working in perfect condition. The glass screen however is SHATTERED!! (I can't believe how badly broken it really is...be CAREFUL!).

Does anyone know of any links or tutorials that could help me work through this process?

All help is appreciated, but please don't even suggest anything that might be construed as "fraud", or else I will lose my thread again.:rolleyes:

As far as I can tell the glass is all that needs replacing. The digital screen is still working in perfect condition. The glass screen however is SHATTERED!! (I can't believe how badly broken it really is...be CAREFUL!).

Take it in to a Sprint repair center and see how much they want to fix it. Let us know what they say.

On a side note, for future reference, don't carry your phone in your back pocket.

Upvote 0
New screen due in tomorrow. $65 off eBay.

Good as new...

Attachments

• broke.JPG
    broke.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 57
  • fixed phone 010.JPG
    fixed phone 010.JPG
    486.4 KB · Views: 51
Upvote 0
@MaxPower: Sorry to hear about your phone and getting your old thread locked down.

You actually have four options:

1) Pay the $100 and use your insurance. That's probably the best option for you in this case. It'll keep your warranty in tact (which options 3 & 4 won't), it's safe, and it's one of the cheapest ways to go.

For those that don't have insurance, here's some additional options:

2) You can call HTC directly and have them fix it for you. They charge $140 and it takes 2 1/2 weeks. Yeah, that's kind of pricey and a long time to wait but it is another option. Like option 1, this is a safe option and you'll get to keep your phone's warranty if you go this route.

3) As mentioned earlier in this thread, you can buy the screen on Ebay for about $65 and fix it yourself. Just go to Ebay and do a search for "HTC Evo Digitizer" and you'll find lots of options. My recommendation is GadgetFix. They're usually inexpensive and located in the US. My business uses them frequently for 1 off things that we purchase on Ebay and they've been great.

This is the least expensive option but also the riskiest. In particular, it's not terribly difficult to break the LCD while trying to get out the glass (that'll cost you another $80 on Ebay). You'll notice in that video referenced above he says when prying off the glass, "You might want to use a heat gun...we've already disassembled this to make it easier." I've done this repair for people and I can tell you that it is NOT easy to get that glass off. It's adhesived on very well. You will definitely want to use a hair dryer or heat gun to loosen it up. Be careful not to get it too hot or you'll wreck the LCD.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones