• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LG Ally Update Coming January 17th?

Aloha? I am confused. Isn't Aloha another name for the Amon-RA Recovery version we are using?
All Android devices have a board name. In the LG Ally's case, its board name is Aloha. In the Motorola Droid's case, its board name is Sholes. Board names play a big part in source building and the development of Android devices.

Reactions: Zoandroid
Upvote 0
Sounds like the after-effects of a typical MR update. Every one of them since the very first has somehow messed up something on my Ally that I had to fix. After the first one I had to do a hard reset and start completely over to get the Ally working again.

There is a GSM equivalient called the LG Aloha. Ally is the CDMA version.

LG Aloha to come to Verizon as LG Ally

But they got the processor completely wrong in that article :p

Upvote 0
Nothing but these things usually take a week or so to roll out to everyone. I'm not going to apply it until I'm sure it will work with z4root. I Hope everyone else keeps us posted.

I'm planning on taking the update. I've already got stock setup (and I'm actually pretty happy with it's performance) and I have z4, and clockwork waiting in the wings.

I'll definitely let everyone know if root works or not, and I'm content with the phone as is if it doesn't. I suppose i could always do it the hard way if I really needed to.

I've been periodically running *#*#checkin#*#* and so far it just keeps telling me "success". It hasn't picked up a DL yet. But, like i said before, I'll keep everyone posted.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I have a stock Ally still with VZB. No auto OTA but *#*#2432546#*#* does start a 13.3MB download. The download completes and seems to install. When the phone reboots, scroll bar below android gets about 25% then the triangle above android flashes an exclamation point a half second before the phone reboots to verizon startup. No change to any info under the phone info screen - no VZC.

Upvote 0
For some reason when I dial *#*#2432546#*#*
today, I get a recording saying the number cannot be connected as dialed. It worked fine when I was doing the back to stock thing the other day. Anyone know why this might be? Would having root access and a custom Velocity ROM somehow keep the number from even connecting?

I've doing it all day. Every time it says success.

Upvote 0
All Android devices have a board name. In the LG Ally's case, its board name is Aloha. In the Motorola Droid's case, its board name is Sholes. Board names play a big part in source building and the development of Android devices.

Thats what I was trying to say lol - well put lol

Seems our hope for an update yesterday was false :(

Upvote 0
As i said in the other thread in the All Things Root section, its just the ZVC update. Ran a packet capture and i got this: http://csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/swdata/WEBSW/LGVS740/AVRZBK/VS740ZVC_08/VS740ZVC_08.SC_08.P58006.cab

So now its possible to restore back to ZVC instead of all the way back to V6 (Finally!)

Death explore this link and see if you can figure out the naming of a new update as a suffix to the above url.

http://csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/csmg/b2c/client/ezlooks_model_list.jsp?model=VS740

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones