1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root LG Ally Velocity 1.1

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by katrais, Jan 1, 2012.

1. katrais

katrais Lurker
    None

Jan 1, 2012
    HI, I'm new at rooting, and i attempted to root my Ally with gingerbreak 1.1. i have superuser and root access, and deleted some bloatware for more internal memory. but now i want to install Velocity 1.1 onto my phone. do i have to unroot my phone first, and how would I? can i install velocity without the GUIDE? or is gingerbreak the same as the 2.2.1 Froyo downgrade thing?

Advertisement

2. db2u

db2u Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 28, 2011
    Nope you dont need to unroot. I dont think you have to downgrade assuming your stock is 2.2.2. Thats what I started with and went to Velocity 1.1 just like you are doing. Honestly though velocity 1.1 is a bit old and you will have to run the scripts several times once up to date or you will get nags about updating your os. Might want to do v1.2 or go with stormdroid or bionic maybe. Its totally up to you though.

Just get a custom recovery on the phone and make a nandroid of everything you have before starting. I believe the instructions on the velocity 1.1 release page are pretty inclusive but I havent looked at them in a long while.

3. imnotmikal

imnotmikal Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    PC Technician
    Richmond, VA
    Since you rooted with Gingerbreak, you don't have a fastboot, and essential recovery tool in case anything goes wrong while flashing.

I highly recommend stopping by here for help on flashing fastboot.
    freenode Web IRC (qwebirc)

And yes, Velo 1.1 is old. I would recommend StormDroid 1.2.1 or Velo 1.2.1.

4. db2u

db2u Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 28, 2011
    I rooted with gingerbreak I have fastboot... what did I do to get this function?

5. imnotmikal

imnotmikal Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    PC Technician
    Richmond, VA
    Interesting...

6. j2cool2012

j2cool2012 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 15, 2010
    Android Dev and Tech Consult
    In the computer
    Is your ally old that came with 2.1, and you took all OTAs? Maybe you're one of the lucky ones that didn't have their fastboot destroyed by LGMU.

7. db2u

db2u Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 28, 2011
    History is unknown but I wouldnt be surprised if it was a early version. I bought it second hand in June. I know I rooted it using gingerbreak and if I boot into bootloader using quickboot it does still boot to the blue screen that shows something about a fastboot version. Oh well not complaining at all just curious why mine still has it if Gingerbreak kills it.

8. cr5315

cr5315 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    Narnia
    Gingerbreak doesn't kill fastboot. Some people have Allys that aren't as old as others and don't have fastboot because of that. That's why we like the LGNPST method of rooting because it gives you fasatboot. But I guess your Ally is an older one since it has fastboot.

9. katrais

katrais Lurker
    None

Jan 1, 2012
    what exactly does fastboot do, is it kind of like a recovery/backup tool?and would you recommend velocity 1.2 or stormdroid 1.2?

10. db2u

db2u Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 28, 2011
    Its the bootloader. You will want it if you screw up both your ROM and Recovery but if you dont plan on switching roms a lot I probably wouldnt worry about it. I haven't ever used it. Others will probably disagree with me.

I would say both roms are a draw. As of today neither has active development. Velocity has been around longer and might be a little more polished (maybe), but stormdroid was slightly more stable for me for some reason. Most of the devs for stormdroid are still here and will help out, whereas team velocity is pretty much gone. You really cant go wrong with either one honestly. Flip a coin and try one. If you dont like the style try the other.

11. katrais

katrais Lurker
    None

Jan 1, 2012
    does anyone know how to flash fastboot?

12. db2u

db2u Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 28, 2011
    Before you start i would see if it is there first.
    Install the app Quickboot off of the market, and use it to boot to bootloader.
    If you get a blue screen with fastboot referenced then you already have it. I think you have to pull battery to get out of it though so fair warning.

I dont know how to direct you on getting it if you dont have it but there are threads out there.

katrais likes this.
  13. katrais

katrais Lurker
    None

Jan 1, 2012
    i used quickboot and i booted into a blue creen that said fastboot started udc_strt() so im assuming this is fastboot...so if i am correct then i can just flash stormdroid or velocity. how do i do this, exactly?

14. katrais

katrais Lurker
    None

Jan 1, 2012
    i used quickboot and i booted into a blue creen that said fastboot started udc_strt() so im assuming this is fastboot...so if i am correct then i can just flash stormdroid or velocity. how do i do this, exactly?
    sorry for double post

15. db2u

db2u Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 28, 2011
    Will need to get a custom recovery flashed first I think.

16. verizonuser13

verizonuser13 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 2, 2011
    i rooted with gingerbreak and i had fastboot and my ally runs better than ever lol i still recommend that method to all ally users because of how simple it is. as far as a ROM my man, either velocity or stormdroid, both are amazing ROMs. all based off of preference.

Tags: