• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LG Ally vs LG Shine PLUS

Vmanisme

Android Enthusiast
Jun 19, 2010
Virginia
LG Shine PLUS is faster than the LG Ally. Which is unfair since I have the LG Ally, but gotta live with it. Shine has 512MB RAM vs 180MB in the Ally, Shine has better camera too, but the same amount of internal storage, it does support 32GB SD Cards vs the 16GB max on the Ally. So my fellow Ally users, this is crap!
LG Shine Plus Specifications | Features List

And it comes with less junk apps... what the heck?

I might pick up the Shine Plus next week, I've been watching as many videos as I can find on the Shine Plus but mostly found the Ally and the OS does look laggy in response (swipe the screen and 2 seconds later it responds), but there was one Shine Plus video where almost no lag occured but I think that was due to standard wallpaper and standard Android UI (not LG Home).

Upvote 0
Just got the Shine Plus today, it's not that laggy nor is it snappy but responsive, I hear you Verizon guys has only 40-70MB free space to work with? I got 150MB with 512MB ram and it's branded (Telus logo on boot and shutdown screens). Only complaint so far is the camera quality and that flash 10.1 for 2.1 hack apk doesn't work.

Oh and Universal Androot beta5 works like a charm!

Upvote 0
^If you want the LG Shine Plus to work faster, put a regular wallpaper, not a live one, and use the Android Home screen, not the LG one
Already way ahead of you, I went with ADW.Launcher, LauncherPro for some reason eats up resources and constantly redraws when I close an app on the LG while it runs just fine on my other devices. I don't care much for live wallpapers unless I feel like playing with them, the galactic core is the only one really worth it since it uses almost no resources.

Look at this pic of my game room in the dark (see the Xbox wheel), ugh what a bad place for the flash to be.

Attachments

• IMG004.jpg
    IMG004.jpg
    744.9 KB · Views: 76
Upvote 0
Lg i hate you!!

I think verzion should get this and give us all should get free upgrades!!!!!!!!
It looks like the Telus Shine Plus is an upgraded version of the Ally. It has a stainless steel body, and a 5MP camera. Plenty of RAM, which only makes sense considering the cheap cost.

Mine is hard on the battery when it's turned on, but on standby it's very good. It has a few quirks, which still need to be ironed out, such as the phone lockout is bypassed when you open the slide-out keyboard. I'm hoping to get a firmware upgrade for it soon.

Upvote 0
Hey all..bought this phone a few days ago, mint condition in the box for half the cost at Telus. Did a lot of research online, watched all the videos, the opportunity came to switch so I went for it.

The phone is heavy. The worst I can say about it, besides being slightly small for my big hands. It does get warm and stay warm with standard use as the body is metal. But to be quite honest, its not slow like many say. Don't trust the videos. The LG home screen and Android home screen combined with widgets slow it down considerably. Use Launcher Pro with standard wallpaper and its transitions are fast and crisp. Camera works fine even with flash, not getting glare as others have stated. Only complaint is with WiFi as it drops the connection unless I'm very close to the router without external interference. But the Telus HSPA network is FAST! Browsing is excellent as well. I've used iOS as well as Blackberry, and now I feel like I finally found the product for me.

Now all I need is 2.2 and all is well. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones