1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Lg Ally will not reboot in recovery.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Manatarms15, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Manatarms15

Manatarms15 Lurker
    None

Jan 1, 2014
    Hello everyone. I just recently rooted my LG Ally and downloaded Rom Manager to do a Nandroid back up and install CM 7.2.

After Gingerbreaking it I started it in recovery mode through Rom Manager just to get familiar with the menu since this is the first time I was rooting this phone and I selected to flash a boot image and boot back to the originally rom.

Now I was trying to install the Rom but my Ally will not go reboot into recovery mode. Instead I get a white triangle, yellow exclamation point, and little android guy and then it boots up back to the stock Froyo rom.

I have tryed installing other apps like Rom Manager but it must be something on the Ally itself because even when I manually try to start up in recovery it will do the same thing.

I would appreciate if anyone could help me get ride of that white triangle and get back to recovery mode so I can install the Rom.... Or if anyone knows another way to get the Rom installed that would bypass this.

Please step by step, dealing with a noob here. Thank you!

Advertisement

2. Einsteindks

Einsteindks Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 24, 2010
    I didn't think cm 7.2 was stable enough for a daily driver rom. Velocity has been just about as good as the lg ally can get, I thought. It has been far too long since I messed with my Ally, I'm afraid I wouldn't be much help to you right now. It may be that you're halfway to a brick, I'm not sure.

3. Manatarms15

Manatarms15 Lurker
    None

Jan 1, 2014
    I hope I am not half way to bricking. If so I will just leave it as is since it is still working except the recovery reboot.

This link is the one that was suppose to be stable for the LG Ally and just had an update earlier this month.

4. Septfox

Septfox Lurker
    None

Sep 21, 2013
    CM 7.2 is quite nice-feeling compared to Velocity, but it has a rather fatal flaw: no wifi. The latest version (of which the link isn't posted in the thread for some reason) DOES (sort of) have a working cell radio, as I accidentally found out today when I decided to mess with it; the signal indicator is busted and it doesn't handle making calls well at all (particularly when it comes time to hang up; I hope you like resetting your phone), but it does work. Unfortunately, wifi is completely non-functional, to the point where it actually crashes some of the diagnostic menu stuff.

The best you can get at the moment is Velocity 1.2 b18, and it is certainly adequate provided a couple of tweaks are made; primarily disabling battery-eating checkins and changing the i/o scheduler to noop (from its default of bfq) to eliminate stutters in SD access.
    I've been thinking of making a thread to explore these and other minor tweaks, but it doesn't seem that there're enough people left using the Ally to bounce ideas off of. A shame, it really is a nice, solid little phone.

A dev by the name of Biotic told me a while back that he was thinking of trying to port Android 4.4 to the Ally at some point in the future as a rainy-day project, but I haven't seen anything further on it and he's likely busy with newer/more popular devices, so...*shrugs* something to hope for eventually, I guess.

As for your recovery issue: what recovery is it that you're trying to use? If I recall right ROM Manager installs Clockwork, which worked...alright, as far as I remember. But it sounds like you're running not into recovery, but the factory reset function. So ROM Manager may not be installing your recovery correctly, rebooting into it correctly, or both. Try installing the recovery again, shutting down the phone, then hold Vol Up+Menu+Power from a fully shut-down state; I think that's the combination to trigger a boot into recovery.

Amon Ra seems to be the generally accepted best recovery for this particular phone, and I can say that it certainly has served me well. It's here
    if you want to give it a try instead. I don't remember if ROM Manager will let you install other recoveries or not, but the manual instructions should work if it doesn't.

patricdroid likes this.
  5. Einsteindks

Einsteindks Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 24, 2010
    I have a TWRP-based touch recovery on mine. I forget where I got it, been too long. Flashes over Among RA, and CWM can over write it...after a few tries.

Tags: