1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Lg esteem

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by LG ESTEEM USER, Feb 8, 2014.

1. LG ESTEEM USER

None

Feb 8, 2014
    What happens when i root my lg esteem how is it different from regular ? Will it effect my battery ? Is it a good idea to root it ?

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    When you root it you basically install a file named su to a folder named /system/bin. That's about all that Android leaves out of Linux.

There are a few other little differences - since you're not running the phone from a keyboard (in Linux you type su and it asks you for the root password - in Android you run an app like SuperSU, so when app asks su for superuser access, su tells the app to ask you if it's okay to allow it. It also installs an app named busybox that replaces a lot of little commands that you don't need when running a phone, but you will if you start playing with the internals.

Effect on battery life? I've never done a lab measurement (it would take months), but by all reasoning it will have absolutely no effect on the battery itself. Running an app that uses a lot of battery, and only can run with root permissions, will use a lot more battery than if you're not rooted, so you can't run that app. But that's from running that app, not from rooting or from being rooted.

But running the phone, or GPS or Contacts, or Facebook - none of them call su, so they don't work any differently on a rooted or unrooted phone.

Should you root?

Being rooted is like being a god. Normally if you're going to do something really stupid on the phone, either it won't let you (try removing the /system folder - the phone won't even laugh at you) or it'll ask if you really want to do something that stupid.

Root and do something stupid and the phone will say "yes sir" and destroy itself. You're root - no one questions you. You say "die" and the phone obediently dies.

What do you gain if you root the phone? Well, for one thing you don't have to worry about that pesky warranty - you just voided it. The case cracks because of defective plastic? Sorry, the phone isn't under warranty because it's rooted. (The EU doesn't allow that - the Land of the Free allows the company to freely void your warranty even if the problem has nothing to do with rooting.)

There are apps you can run if the phone is rooted that you can't if it's not. Like Titanium Backup. (Helium does just about as good a job at backing up data and doesn't require root. There are a lot of apps to back up apps.) Like removing all that garbage the manufacturer and carrier stuff the phone with. (That's about the only thing I see of any use for the normal user.) Like ... well, lots of stuff you can read about in the Play store, or lists of "10 apps you absolutely must have now that you've rooted your Android". Most of which will put you to sleep. (And I've been a Unix administrator since the network everyone was on was called DARPANet and they were allowing a few universities in - my phones are still unrooted.) Oh, every once in a while I see an app that it might be nice to run - if my phone was rooted. But with 2 Note 3s, one of which has been replaced twice in 3 months, and may be replaced again tomorrow, that would have cost me about $2,000 to run a few nice apps. They're not THAT nice.

Don't like what your phone looks like? I didn't either. TouchWiz (Samsung's version of High Art) is ... well ... this is a family forum. So I use the Nova launcher. Have for years. I love it. My main home page is full of folders, and just a few "naked" apps. Until about 2 weeks ago (I'm old and slow) I had SantaDroid as my wallpaper.

I can fix network problems, wifi problems, even voice and data problems with free apps on my phone, see which satellites my GPS is seeing, where I am ... all sorts of things that would have been magic when I opened my first cellphone store. (You needed cargo pants to carry a phone in your pocket, and you got a whole 15 minutes of talk (no text, not data) time every month.)

Nothing that voids the warranty, all free - oh, I read my magazines on my phone. My library participates in a program that does that. I can print from my phone to the printer in the other room. I can set my TV recorder if I went out and forgot to.

Maybe you young people who learned to text before you learned to talk get bored with a normal phone and "need" those 3 rooted apps to make the phone seem more miraculous, but for someone who grew up designing these things (my first large computer project, in 1978, is still working as well as the day we blew all the ... uh, forget that part, but it still works.) I'm carrying, in a shirt pocket, a computer that's much more powerful than the first network server I administered, has loads more RAM and storage and could do things that, back then, were considered way too far out for science fiction.

The 1964 World's Fair showed "Picturephones". Some day we'll be able to see the people we're talking to. If we arrange the call a few weeks in advance. If we go to the Picturephone studio. Anyone ever hear of Skype? On a pocket-sized phone? We were only off by a few hundred years.

So I'll keep my warranty, find apps that do what I want done (people here ask if there's an app to ... I look for it just to help them out, see the app, think of how useful it might be and download it). No root.

As far as flashing a custom ROM, which a lot of people want to do, it's pretty much the same thing. No ROM is going to give me back my hearing, the color in my hair or my ability to do the 100 yard dash. (I can do a real good job at the two foot slow walk - if you give me a few minutes.)

Look at a top-of-the-line cellphone of even as recently as 2010 - that's only 4 short years ago - and compare it to a $100 phone you can get at Walmart today. The "I don't believe you can do that by rooting, even if the phone costs $750" of today will be the $59.95 reject of 4 years from now.

I always ask people WHY they want to root phones. I've been asking that question for a few years. I haven't gotten an answer that amounts to much more than "because I want to". Buy a $39 phone (they're available brand new), root it, flash ROMs to it and if you ruin it? Most smokers smoke that much in a day or two. But a G2? That's like running a gold Mercedes into a brick wall to see what scratched gold looks like. Not my cup of poison.

dportal2006 likes this.
  3. dportal2006

dportal2006 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 3, 2011
    I agree with just about everything you say. I rooted an old LG Esteem i had a few years ago and it have me a lot of headaches. The LG G2 runs really good just like it comes out of the box. There is no need to be tinkering with it and void the warranty. Most of the bloatware on the phone can be disabled anyways.

Tags: