• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root LG Eve GW620 Rogers rooting guide + Remove Rogers apps

This thread is the solution to ADB USB driver nightmare....
I hope
thanks to all
going from stock rogers to latest release....wish me luck
mostly i have been following open etna forum for help!
but this thread probably helped me get my PC and phone to talk in ADB
will confirm tomorrow

TANKS TO ALL!!!

EDIT

WIth USB debug off MY phone connects great ...with debug on...asks for modem driver...point it to sdk inf with patch...does not work?
ideas?

Upvote 0
Hey Everyone,

After much frustration trying to root my Eve on Windows 7 Pro 64bit, I gave up and used a linux distro (Linux Mint 9), suggested by another poster here...sorry can't remember who it was ;) It was incredibly easy and took at most 30 minutes.

I used the LiveCD version but will probably put it on a USB key next time.

I've had some experience with linux but I consider myself a major n00b so I'll do my best to detail the issues I had experienced. It's a bit fuzzy now since it was pretty late when I finished. If something is incorrect, someone please correct me =)

I installed sdk on my Desktop.

1) When I installed sdk and jre, I was receiving errors, such as "adb not found" and java errors. I wasn't sure how to add the path to my profile.

export PATH=${PATH}:/home/mint/Desktop/android/tools:/home/mint/Desktop/android/tools/jdk1.6.0_22/bin

2) I also received "error: insufficient permissions for device.

Type to restart the service: adb kill-server
Type to check whether the device is available: adb devices

3) I believe I had to login as root (Administrator for Windows) or "sudo su" on Mint to make these changes. I can't remember whether I received an error but I figured that I needed more access to make these changes.

I hope someone finds this helpful and thanks to everyone who worked on making rooting the LG Eve possible =)

Upvote 0
Hey all,
I'm pretty new to Android. I got the LG GW620r (Rogers) and the first thing I did was to use the LG update tool to upgrade to 1.6. Big mistake. Now I can't load fastboot.

I tried the various tutorials found on OpenEtna and Guimmerl with no luck. The KDZ updater would either crash or give me the "lparam" and "wparam" error. I'm using Windows 7 64-bit and I tried to run as admin, run in Windows XP (both SP2 and SP3) compatibility mode, with and without Windows Enabler (whatever that does). Here's one of my error log files from KDZ_FW_UPD:

[17:35:35:883] : =============================================
[17:35:35:883] : Log is started on 28.01.2011, at 17:35:35:883,
executable: C:\Users\Alfred\Desktop\New folder\KDZ_FW_UPD.exe (ProcID: 0x00000ab4),
compile time : Oct 6 2009 09:34:45
[17:35:35:883] : Version :
[17:35:35:885] : Get Usb Port
[17:35:35:890] : TYPE_WPARAM_UPGRADE_ERROR
[17:35:35:890] :

Upvote 0
I had 1.6 also i just used KDZ_FW_UPD with the windows enabler and vista 32bit and it went all the way through but now its sitting at the ANDROID screen on my phone?!!?!?!?!? How long do i have to wait?!?!?!?

You're on the right track! This is where you shut down your phone (remove battery) then turn it back on in FASTBOOT (i.e. hold space as soon as the screen lights up, before the LG logo).

Then you're set for OpenEtna via WinFlash

Upvote 0
Hi all;
Im new to this,so apologies in advance for any obvious bonehead moves.
Im following the instructions so kindly laid out by britbloke, but....... my xp sp2,with lg drivers installed and showing up in Device Manager will not show android phone in list , nor will it show me sdk usb driver to update driver with. I have usb debugging enabled, and root permissions enabled. I am following britblokes instructions to the letter as far as I can tell. Any thoughts?
rootless in Vancouver

This is my exact problem!

I really dont see the android phone that's supposed to be listed. Im running windows 7, USB debugging is checked and im sure i installed everything, help?

Same problem here.

I had same problem, it was because none of the the vendor IDs defined in the android_winusb.inf file didnt match my device.
Back in device manager, right click the second LG USB Modem, properties, Details tab.
Mine shows USB\VID_1004&PID_6171&MI_01\6&AF0B60F&0&0001
which doesnt match any entries in the INF file.
eg this was the first set of entries in winusb.inf (scroll down a bit to see them)
; HTC Dream
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C01
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C02&MI_01
%SingleBootLoaderInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0FFF

so I copied them & pasted in my vendor ID to make another set for my phone and inserted at the top:
; LG GW620
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_1004&PID_6171
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_1004&PID_6171&MI_01
%SingleBootLoaderInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_1004&PID_0FFF
;
saved the file, and tried update driver again, again pointing it to usb_driver directory
=> bingo, it found it, installed an Android Phone device with a child of Android Composite ADB interface.

Tried exactly what you did. Even added the "&REV_0100" that was in my device dscription (it was otherwise the same as yours) - didn't work. :(

If you have windows 7 you need the file LG_Android_USB_Driver_Rebuilt.rar. which can be found at:

Deposit Files

I'm trying this next. Tomorrow.

Upvote 0
Not sure what's going on.

I still can't get "Android Device" to show up in the list of device types. That's not a big deal because I can still tell it where to find the android_winusb.inf file. Last night I wasn't able to even get it to find the file, even after pasting in my phone's details like Jim_NZ did.

I used the rebuilt drivers this time. I get a little bit further, but not much. Now I get this:

Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device

Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.

Android ADB Interface

The system cannot find the file specified.

If you know the manufacturer of your device, you can visit its website and check the support section for driver software.

So where do I go from here? I guess the most important thing is, what specified file can windows not find? It clearly can find the file and knows it's a driver information file. But is it not finding something within the file that it's being pointed to? Here is some stuff from within the driver information file:

[USB_Install]
Include = winusb.inf
Needs = WINUSB.NT
[USB_Install.Services]
Include = winusb.inf
AddService = WinUSB,0x00000002,WinUSB_ServiceInstall
[WinUSB_ServiceInstall]
DisplayName = %WinUSB_SvcDesc%
ServiceType = 1
StartType = 3
ErrorControl = 1
ServiceBinary = %12%\WinUSB.sys
[USB_Install.Wdf]
KmdfService = WINUSB, WinUSB_Install
[WinUSB_Install]
KmdfLibraryVersion = 1.7
[USB_Install.HW]
AddReg = Dev_AddReg
[Dev_AddReg]
HKR,,DeviceInterfaceGUIDs,0x10000,"{F72FE0D4-CBCB-407d-8814-9ED673D0DD6B}"
[USB_Install.CoInstallers]
AddReg = CoInstallers_AddReg
CopyFiles = CoInstallers_CopyFiles
[CoInstallers_AddReg]
HKR,,CoInstallers32,0x00010000,"WdfCoInstaller01007.dll,WdfCoInstaller","WinUSBCoInstaller.dll"
[CoInstallers_CopyFiles]
WinUSBCoInstaller.dll
WdfCoInstaller01007.dll
[DestinationDirs]
CoInstallers_CopyFiles=11
[SourceDisksNames]
1 = %DISK_NAME%,,,\i386
2 = %DISK_NAME%,,,\amd64
[SourceDisksFiles.x86]
WinUSBCoInstaller.dll = 1
WdfCoInstaller01007.dll = 1
[SourceDisksFiles.amd64]
WinUSBCoInstaller.dll = 2
WdfCoInstaller01007.dll = 2

these are not file names that I can see anywhere. But I'm not an expert on the stuff found inside driver files. Is it supposed to be looking for these file names or creating them? I don't really know.

This is so confusing.

Upvote 0
Hi all, thanks for the tips, I got mine rooted...

but my problem now is with Fastboot. I got the phone into Fastboot mode but WindowsXP prompt for driver. The same drivers that were working in non-fastboot mode won't work. So, I cannot connect to the phone in Fastboot mode.

Anyone know what I should do next??

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Hi all, thanks for the tips, I got mine rooted...

but my problem now is with Fastboot. I got the phone into Fastboot mode but WindowsXP prompt for driver. The same drivers that were working in non-fastboot mode won't work. So, I cannot connect to the phone in Fastboot mode.

Anyone know what I should do next??

Thanks!
Nevermind my previous question! Finally figured it out.... all good now.
Got Froyo on it... new life to keep it going a little longer...

Upvote 0
Quote:

How to install the LG USB and ADB USB drivers on Windows.

This is the part that I had the most problems with, but that's mainly because I read the instructions wrong!
First, install the LG USB drivers from the link above.

Then, on the phone you need to enable USB debugging mode

Settings ---> Applications ---> Development ---> USB debugging (put a check mark here)
Connect the phone to your PC with the USB cable.

In Windows, you should hear the beep on a connected device and the LG drivers should find it OK. In Windows, open up Device Manager and you should see 2 devices with yellow exclamation marks beside it and the description "LG USB Modem" (I'm going from memory here, so that may not be 100% accurate).

Right click on the 2nd one, click "Update driver software", click "Browse my computer for driver software" then click "Let me pick from a list..." You should see "Android Phone" listed. Double click this and you should see a list of 3 options. Click on "Android ADB Interface" and click "Next". You'll probably see an "Update driver warning" box, so just click "Yes" to install it anyway.

If you don't see 3 options, click "Have Disk..." and select the Android USB driver (android_winusb.inf) you downloaded earlier.

After all this, you should now be able to get ADB shell access to your Eve. To check you have access follow these steps:

End Quote :

----------------

OK.. cannot even get this far ?? After researching for best part of 4 hours this seems to be the only place that gave me any hope of rooting the GW620. Tried all the other methods, no fastboot (updated firmware). Z4root (wont even install) Super one click (nope) and so on.

Here I have no idea how you are getting the drivers to register as they are. Installed the latest LG usb drivers and then in device manager I get

LGE Mobile USB Modem, under the Modems heading.

Now I have tried new versions, old versions of the LG drivers. Rebooted both the pc and the phone, took out the battery and discharged the phone (supposedly...). All to no avail.

So, When I put the phone into debug mode the drivers change to:

Modems - LGE Andriod Platform USB Modem

Other Devices - LG Mobile USB Modem

I cannot install the "Android ADB Interface" because it doesnt list as an "Android Phone"...

Even when I use the Have Disk option (going through the steps carefully) I choose the location of the driver and it says "The folder you specfied doesnt contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for 32-bit systems" (I am assuming the driver package I got through SDK is the 32-bit version?)

Tried this on both the Modem and Other Devices listings..
Any help please.. Just want to get access to a few more apps, the market for 1.5 is pretty... rubbish.

Running Windows Vist 32-bit SP2. LG GW620 with android 1.5 and software version GW620-V10c

:thinking::thinking::thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones