• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LG EVE touch screen not working

Powers88

Lurker
Jul 16, 2011
I have an LG EVE. I am not tech savy by any means.

The screen stopped responding to touch yesterday (phone will be 2yrs old in Nov. 2011). Found a lot of interesting suggestions on how to fix the phone so I thought I would post my results. My phone is out of warranty and I'm not eligable for a free upgrade yet so i thought I would see if I could fix it. It was in my car and it was a very hot day yesterday and I've read more than one post stating that the LCD touch screens can stop working in extreme heat and this seems to be the case with mine.

Note: I could still use the keyboard and was able to still use the phone using the keyboard, but it was limited.

I took the battery out for an hour, then turned it back on. Nothing.

I took apart what I could, undid about 6 or 7 little screws, and found that the phone doesn't come apart, at least not with gentle force and I didn't want to crack it. I blew in some forced air where I could, put it back together, nothing.

I took the battery out again and put it in the freezer for an hour, then thawed it out, nothing.

I found a post that stated there is a hidden menu with a calibration tool and manual factory reset options as well as other options. If your keyboard still works then go to the "Dialer" and enter: 3845#*620# (This accesses the hidden menu) Choose "Device test", Choose "Touch test", Choose "Calibration". Neat to find but that didn't work as my screen did not respond to touch.

So I did the factory reset. That didn't work. Screen still not accepting a touch.

Then I found some posts about other phones where people peeled back the protective thin plastic cover of the touch screen. Yikes. But, my phone is out of warranty, so why not, I'll give it a try.

I took a utility knife blade and peeled back about a 1/4 inch of the bottom part of the screen cover. On the left side at the bottom of the screen there is an exposed part of the touch screen. I pressed that very firmly, squeezed as hard as I could, and the screen started working!!!

I looks pretty beat up but it will do for now. I hope it lasts until my contract is up for renewal in November.

I wish I had done this first before doing the factory reset, I've lost all my texts, calander etc.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones