• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LG G Pad 8.3 Google Play edition

I'm guessing it will eventually. But, IMHO, I don't see much benefit of stock vs LG's touches. I like it as-is,& can wait for the upgrade to 4.4 with LG's U/I.

Losing the KNOCK-ON & soft-button layout choices is a deal breaker for me.
Now, if there were some ROMS that keep these features, I'd take a look.

EDIT:
How could I forget, you'll probably lose I/R BLASTER functionality w/the stock ROM. I'll definitely pass.

Upvote 0
I have the original Samsung Galaxy Note and as well as running all the stock Samsung ROMs on it over the past two years I have also tried a few custom ROMS including Paranoid Android, Slim Bean and, most recently, OmniROM 4.4 (KitKat) for the last few days.

I have to say that I'm underwhelmed by the KitKat experience so far, as features I am used to having have simply vanished altogether or been moved somewhere else for no good reason. e.g. there is no native support to select 2G networks only and the battery percentage display is not friendly for my 51 year old eyeballs. The launcher is truly dire and I've had to install Nova just so I can get enough shortcuts onto the screen. There is a bit less lag than with stock, and I get less stutter on Real Racing 3, but it's at least as many steps back as it is forwards due to missing features and inferior interface.

Back on topic for the LG G Pad, I'll be getting the regular model this afternoon - just got to pick it up from the store. Some of the LG features are part of the appeal and, even if the GPE version was available in the UK, I'm not at all convinced that I'd choose it over the original version. If I have a change of heart down the line I expect the development community will have a solution soon enough. :)

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
I got my GPE delivered yesterday. I can confirm that IR blaster doesn't work on it unfortunately.

Other than that, I really like it. I loved my 2012 and 2013 Nexus 7's, but wanted something a little bigger. The GPad is the perfect size. Stock KitKat running on it is great. I have no complaints at all yet.

Sounds like something is wrong because 4.4 supposedly adds support for IR blasters or is the device not on 4.4?

Upvote 0
Sounds like something is wrong because 4.4 supposedly adds support for IR blasters or is the device not on 4.4?

It's running 4.4. I haven't looked too much into it, but I did try downloading two different IR apps from the Play Store. Neither of those apps supported Insignia TV's, which was the one I was going to try. I have a Vizio TV. I'll try that now, and I'll post results.

Upvote 0
After using it for the entire day, here are three things I dislike:

1. When playing music, it hiccups at least once per minute. Hiccup is the only word I can use to describe it. It's like a stutter/skip. It barely affects the song, but I just find it annoying.

2. The screen dims randomly. I've had the Nexus 4 and the Optimus F3, and it did the same thing on those phones too, so it must be an LG thing.

3. Not as annoying as the other two, but there's not a lot of bezel, so while typing in portrait, my hand hits delete and enter by mistake a lot.

I'm going to give it a couple days. If I'm still annoyed by those things, I'll probably go back to my Nexus 7 and return this.

Upvote 0
How does the display compare to the nexus 7

Like most people say, the Nexus 7 (2013) screen is better. But I didn't notice the G Pad's inferior screen until I put them side by side. At that point, I realized what I was missing. But, I think the size of the G Pad is so much better, I like a white device, and I hate the HUGE bezel on the Nexus 7, so I'm sticking with my G Pad. Performance wise, they are both beasts, so go with what suits you. You really can't go wrong.

Upvote 0
Yeah, the Nexus 7 screen is much better.

I returned the G Pad today. After nearly a week with it, I decided $350 was just not worth it in my opinion. The Nexus 7 is only a tiny bit smaller, runs pretty much identically, and has a better screen, so I just stuck with the N7.

If anybody is considering buying this, in my opinion, just buy the Nexus 7. It's over $100 cheaper and more worth it.

Upvote 0

I returned the G Pad today. After nearly a week with it, I decided $350 was just not worth it in my opinion. The Nexus 7 is only a tiny bit smaller, runs pretty much identically, and has a better screen, so I just stuck with the N7.

If anybody is considering buying this, in my opinion, just buy the Nexus 7. It's over $100 cheaper and more worth it.

Enjoy the N7 frantik508! :)

FWIW,OFFICE DEPOT has a sale on both WI-FI versions until 12/21/13:

Nexus 7 (2013) only $180 + $20 gift card at Office Depot for a limited time [DEALS]

Unless you want to pick-up the $35 GOOGLE PLAY Credit w/a N7+CHROMECAST purchase from the GOOGLE PLAY STORE:

Holiday Special: Buy a Nexus 7 and Chromecast together — get a $35 Google Play credit.* Purchase by noon EST on December 18 to get your order by December 24 with two-day shipping

Upvote 0

I think its the same Screen issue as the LG G pad 8.3 very poor display brightness
I am thinking of sending my G pad back as unable to watch movies as so dark

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones