• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LG g stylo screen refresh problem?

Jeremy Hanson

Lurker
Aug 16, 2016
I've got a LG h631 model I purchased from Walmart and activated under tmobile prepaid. I've had the phone for roughly 6 months, and I've had no problems with accepting the latest Ota updates from LG. I'm currently on Android 6.0 with kernel version 3.10.49. Since I've had this phone, I've only experienced 2 major issues with it. The first one is the commonly reported GPS connectivity issue, I'm unable to maintain a GPS fix or get an accurate GPS lock most of the time, making the GPS almost impossible to use for apps. I used to use Ulysses pro as a speedometer for my car, since it didn't have the right units displayed for my region at the time. Now, with Pokémon Go being the new thing, my GPS is really a let down most of the time. Hatching eggs takes 2-3 times as long as it should, even when I'm walking a mile to and from work each way, it only registers about 60% of the actual distance covered.

After some research, I found that the GPS for marshmallow relies on WiFi to be accurate, which seems to make a huge difference when trying to play Pokémon, if I have wifi enabled or not. I'm not sure if it is hardware or software at this point, GPS is just terrible with this phone.

The second issue I have found is with the screen refresh rate. I've had to factory reset my phone once already to fix it, which makes it seem like a software problem. A few weeks ago I was using my device and I noticed a sudden change in screen refresh rate, which caused the screen back light to show through on Android screens (homepage, menus, ect) but not in app screens. It looked like a rectangle with rounded corners made of light, pulsing in sync with the lower screen refresh rate, like the phone wasn't giving enough power to the gpu in Android apps and giving too much power to the back light. Has anyone else experienced this on their stylo or any other android phone?

A factory reset fixed the issue, so I'm sure it's a problem with the kernel. I'm just not finding any similar reported issues online. I'm just looking for more info from experienced back end users.

Thanks!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones