• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help LG G2 switched screen display, now I cannot log in

Indywar2

Lurker
Jan 17, 2016
I have a LG G2 that was working OK this morning. I had a pattern lock to unlock the phone.
This afternoon, I pressed the power button to bring it out of screensaver mode and have a different screen. The new screen is ~ 1" x 1", and the rest of my display is black, and is at the top of the screen showing either the time or the weather (I can scroll through them).

There is no place for the pattern unlock to occur. I have restarted the phone twice, and this still appears. When I press and hold the power button I get a message that says "power off." At the very bottom of the screen I can see what looks like the color of my old screen where the pattern lock was located (almost like this new screen is lying on top of the old screen), but I cannot access it.

Any ideas how I get rid of this change and log into my phone again?

Thanks,
Rob

Hi and Welcome to Android Forums,@Indywar2

I would start with a factory reset and that should fix it,If that doesn't.
Press and hold the Volume Down button and the Power button. When the LG logo is displayed release the Power button only then immediately press and hold the Power button again. Release both buttons when the Factory data reset screen displays. From the Factory data reset screen, select Yes.

If that doesn't solve the issue,

Then you will have to reinstall the stock firmware:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2432476
Remove sim card before flashing back to stock,As it will wipe it clean.After your done flashing stock firmware,You can put sim card back in.
If this doesn't fix it ,It is most likely a hardware issue.

Reactions: iowabowtech
Upvote 0
Thanks AMOCO,

I did the reset, and it appears to have worked. There are a couple things I cannont fix. First, the screen keeps going black (as in sleeping/screensaver) within 3 seconds. I checked the "display>screen timeout" and it is set for 15 miunutes. I not sure what else could case this. Also, the volume does not change using the volume buttons on the back.

Any thoughts on causes/solutions.

Thanks,
Rob

Upvote 0
Hi AMOCO,

Thanks again for the advice. I have read the info on xda to reinstall the stock firmware, however, it appears that one needs to be able to download this information to the cell phone. This is not possible as I cannot even access my main/home screen, say nothing about a web browser to download those files.

If there is an alternative, please let me know.
I took the phone to my local repair store, and they were unable to figure it out. Sounds like I am going to need to find someone who is looking for a good challenge to figure out the cause and a solution.
I also posted a question on the XDA forum, but it doesn't look like anyone there has any ideas for a fix either.

Thanks,
Rob

Upvote 0
These here:
1.Download Everything!
1.1)Download Both Stock Image & DLL File – Download Here
1.2)Download LGFlashTools V1.8 - Setup_LGFlashTool_1.8.1.1023.exe - 9.3 Mb
1.3)Download Drivers (Any LGPhone) - Here
1.4)Megalock DLL File - Megalock.dll Download
Install:
2.Install LG Drviers
3.Install Flashtool (Don’t run it yet)
4.Extract the TOT file from the Zip
5.Copy MegaLock.dll file to C:\LG\LGFlashtool (This might be a hidden folder so enable "hidden folders". Replace the old MegaLock.dll file)

6.Power off your Device & or pull battery (G3),(G Pro),(G Flex)
7.Press and hold the Vol UP Key and plug in the USB cable to your phone you should now see “Firmware Update/Download Mode” and be in Download mode.

8.Open up Device Manger on your PC
8.1)Click on ports and double click LGEModem
8.2)Go to Port Settings Tab and click Advanced
8.3)Change COM Port to COM41 and click Okay.
8.4)After this you may need to rereboot your phone back into download mode.
1.JPG

2.JPG

9.Run LG Flashtool as Administrator
10.Select Manual Mode at the top
11.Click The DLL Box and choose the DLL file from Above meant for your device
12.Click the S/W box and select the firmware file with the .tot extension, Then Click OK when done.
3.JPG

13.Now Click the Yellow Arrow Button at the top left, The Firmware install will be triggered
4.JPG

14.You may need to unplug/replug phone before Firmware install will start (If it does nothing after clicking the yellow button

15. Should take anywhere between 4-8 Minutes, When its done your phone should reboot

Do NOT Close the FlashTool Window during firmware update.

99% of the time FlashTool will FAIL after 85% anything after 85% is just your phone rebooting so your safe
smile.gif

Upvote 0
Thanks AMOCO for the detailed help! I have downloaded everything except stock image file (it is in process, but due to size will take an hour).

A question: Under "install" step 5, I do not have a location C:\LG\LGFlashtool on my PC. I have un-hidden all folders/documents in the C drive but it does not exist. Should I create this folder on my PC? I have also searched for the file name MegaLock.dll on my PC, but the only one found is the one I just downloaded.

Thanks,
Rob

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones