• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LG G3 battery life in real world

After much consternation with this phone hanging around in my Amazon cart for the good part of a month, I finally pulled the trigger this afternoon. I should have a shine gold G3 on Thursday. A decision mostly based on some of the posts in this thread I might add. Still, I didn't buy any case or screen protector which I usually buy alongside a new phone. This is the first phone in a long time that I'm going to pay attention to that 14 day trial time. If the battery life isn't there for me? It goes back and my beloved Note2 goes back into service OR I buy a case and put the Note2 up on Ebay!

I bought a Spigen Slim Armor case for my G3 from Amazon, it's just superb in fit, finish and quality. Unless you're a super heavy user of resource intense apps like I am for work, I believe you'll be very impressed with battery life. This is one extremely nice smartphone.

Upvote 0
After much consternation with this phone hanging around in my Amazon cart for the good part of a month, I finally pulled the trigger this afternoon. I should have a shine gold G3 on Thursday. A decision mostly based on some of the posts in this thread I might add. Still, I didn't buy any case or screen protector which I usually buy alongside a new phone. This is the first phone in a long time that I'm going to pay attention to that 14 day trial time. If the battery life isn't there for me? It goes back and my beloved Note2 goes back into service OR I buy a case and put the Note2 up on Ebay!

This was yesterday. A little of this...a little of that. Some light gaming, YouTube, text, etc. I'm still impressed.

Good luck with the new phone!

Attachments

• 1406690385388.jpg
    1406690385388.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 108
  • 1406690400849.jpg
    1406690400849.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 92
Upvote 0

So how do you like the phone?

Upvote 0
I'm almost always near an outlet and wifi so battery life is rarely an issue for me. When I'm in the car, I plug my device in to the AC adapter and as I'm driving, I am obviously not watching movies, playing games.

When I'm working or at home I am a heavy user and leave my devices plugged in.

So battery life for me is no different for me.

With all that said. What are the circumstances that people have issues keeping their device charged besides a defective battery? No wifi? Never sit near an outlet?

Not a dig on anybody who uses their phone in their own way. I respect that. I'm just genuinely curious.

Upvote 0
Here's me trying to kill the battery yesterday. I had it from 100% charged to 5% in 6 hours 11 minutes. I had 4 hours and 5 minutes of screen on time (80% brightness with auto brightness turned on which is about where I usually have it). I played MLB Perfect Inning for 2 hours straight. See attached photos.

Under my normal usage I am getting as much as 20 hours with 4.5 hours of screen on time. I haven't had another phone with an 801 processor but that is much better than I ever got with my Droid DNA (which has a 33% smaller battery).

The battery life has pleased me. I would love to know see screenshots of what people are getting on their Note 3's in comparison. The note has a slightly bigger battery but are you getting more than 5 hours of screen on time if you were on it constantly?

Attachments

• 1407082476694.jpg
    1407082476694.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 1407082485660.jpg
    1407082485660.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 75
  • 1407082494360.jpg
    1407082494360.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 82
Upvote 0
I am on my 4th day of owning the phone and battery life for the first three days has been pretty horrendous granted I have been torturing it with 100% brightness and plenty of screen on time. That said I am pleased with what I have been getting out of the phone as a whole.

Curious as to what you are seeing. All of the posts I have seen about bad battery life have had zero specifics or screenshots. What is draining your battery the most? Display obviously...but doing what...videos, games, etc?

4 hours screen on time with brightness turned up fairly high seems good to me but maybe it's not to some...

Edit: I'm not saying you are wrong or anything LOL...Just curious is all.

Upvote 0
Curious as to what you are seeing. All of the posts I have seen about bad battery life have had zero specifics or screenshots. What is draining your battery the most? Display obviously...but doing what...videos, games, etc?

4 hours screen on time with brightness turned up fairly high seems good to me but maybe it's not to some...

I don't have a screenshot to show right now since it is only showing the last three hours, I didn't think to check it either. My first three days the battery drained pretty fast as I was downloading/updating apps, browsing, and using Tapatalk and Baconreader running downloaded tracks from Google play Music and watching videos a good portion of the time with maybe 6 five minute calls. I was getting about 4 hour battery life with about 3 and 1/2 hours of screen on time. I don't know if it made a difference but I did have wired headphones connected the vast majority of the time(s). It is not terrible battery life per se considering that most touchscreen phones won't give you more than 3.5 to 4 hours of screen on time anyway.

Today battery life seems to faring a little better since I switched from Global to LTE/CDMA (Verizon) despite the fact that I have had the brightness up at 100% most of the day.

Upvote 0
Anandtech tested the S5 805 version and found battery life the same as the 801 version in spite of the Qhd display. This even surprised the folks at Anandtech.

I would not have expected it. Either the 805 really does have the battery life improvement that Qualcomm stated and not exaggerated, or Samsung has created a more power efficient Qhd display. Probably a little of both.

Will be interesting to see the G3 Plus tested when released.

Upvote 0
My wife and I spent the day at the beach (kids are away at camp), ~6hrs. We left home with 100% charge. I streamed music from Google Play to our bt speaker with my G3 the entire time. Both of us used our phones for texting and browsing. though I would say my wife had her screen on twice as much as me (SG5). Both of us were in direct sunlight all day, 100% backlight. She hit the low battery warning just before we left, I was at 67%! Not scientific in any possible way, but it did make me happy with my purchasing decision.

Upvote 0

It is not like they do not have professional reviews to also back their experience up. As per reviews and general consensus by owners and Verizon sales staff that were given the device for their six month rotation for use:

If coming from an older device (not Verizon folks):

Light users have better battery life due to the bigger battery and minimal SOT

Medium users have equal or better battery life to their previous device for same reasons. Especially if a two year old device like the S3.

Heavier users notice on average two hours less battery life, IF they came from an S5, Note 3 or G2. That correlates with reviews that actually tested the device, a lot of forum posters, friends and Verizon sales who came from S5, Note 3 and G2 devices.

All depends on what device you came from and your use :)

Added: Sales reps at At&t and Verizon are very enthusiastic about the G3. They like it personally. At least the ones where I live.

Upvote 0
In the UK and got my G3 last week. There as now been two software updates to improve battery life and I have to say it awesome (has you Americans like to say). on for 15 hours and still at 40 % with average use.

Great! As we have to wait on US carriers to push out the updates...T-mobile and AT&T will see those updates in 3 months while Verizon and Sprint customers will see it in early 2015 haha! :)

It is not like they do not have professional reviews to also back their experience up. As per reviews and general consensus by owners and Verizon sales staff that were given the device for their six month rotation for use:

If coming from an older device (not Verizon folks):

Light users have better battery life due to the bigger battery and minimal SOT

Medium users have equal or better battery life to their previous device for same reasons. Especially if a two year old device like the S3.

Heavier users notice on average two hours less battery life, IF they came from an S5, Note 3 or G2. That correlates with reviews that actually tested the device, a lot of forum posters, friends and Verizon sales who came from S5, Note 3 and G2 devices.

All depends on what device you came from and your use :)

Added: Sales reps at At&t and Verizon are very enthusiastic about the G3. They like it personally. At least the ones where I live.

Different use cases...different users...different experiences...I get that :)

I wasn't disagreeing with him. I was asking for details. He ended up posting in another thread that the phone kept turning on in his pocket due to the knock on feature. Sounds like a bad phone to me cause the knock on / knock code has not been overly sensitive in my experience...if anything it sometimes requires multiple tries cause you have to be pretty accurate with taping in the same spot for knock on and the knock code requires an accurate entry or the red notification light just flashes at you but the screen stays off. If that phone is just turning on randomly it seems like a defect and I recommended taking it back and getting a new one.

Upvote 0
I was astounded yesterday. Took the phone off at 6am and headed out to the golf course. Had both data and GPS turned on, as I was using a distance-finding app to play the round of golf. This involved turning the screen on every 5 minutes or so for about 30 second each, and for longer periods every 15 minutes or so, at the conclusion of each hole. With screen brightness turned all the way up to 100% to battle the sun, the round lasted just over 4.5 hours. Through all that use...GPS, data, texting occasionally and copious screen usage, I drained the battery only 20%. I then went on to use the phone as I normally did throughout the day and finally got it back onto a charger at about 2am. The charge at that time? 37%

So, I got 20 hours out of 63% battery. Extrapolating that out, I could get almost 32 hours before I hit 0%. Just incredible to me, coming from a phone that would drain completely in 8 or so hours with normal use.

Reactions: Steven58
Upvote 0
I bought the G3 last week. I'm very unimpressed with the battery life. I guess it's the QHD. It dies pretty quick and charges very slow. I'm back to the Note 3 again. That still lasts me over a full day and charges insanely fast.

My experience has been the exact opposite. My phone seems to keep battery life forever and charges extremely fast with the charger that was included in the box. Coming from a 2 year old GS3, there is no comparison. Two days ago I got down to ~35% which is the lowest I've ever gotten it. I did recharge it to full (with the phone on), had approximately 4 hours of continuous screen on time, with wifi on (crappy signal that went in and out), and played games, surfed the web, and watched Netflix that whole time. Brightness at 65% with auto on that whole time except for the hour or so of Netflix which had 100% brightness, no auto.

Upvote 0
I have been using a Note 3 as well as the G3 since each was released. I'm an exceptionally heavy user and have experienced very good battery life from each model. The work apps I use are resource intense and even at that I'm very happy with my G3.

My many years of experience has taught me it's a complete waste of time to compare specific run times since there's so many variables in usage patterns, display brightness preferences, and other data points. In fact that's one of the reasons I buy the phones I'm interested in... paying no attention to battery life until it's setup the way I use it.

Upvote 0
My experience has been the exact opposite. My phone seems to keep battery life forever and charges extremely fast with the charger that was included in the box. Coming from a 2 year old GS3, there is no comparison. Two days ago I got down to ~35% which is the lowest I've ever gotten it. I did recharge it to full (with the phone on), had approximately 4 hours of continuous screen on time, with wifi on (crappy signal that went in and out), and played games, surfed the web, and watched Netflix that whole time. Brightness at 65% with auto on that whole time except for the hour or so of Netflix which had 100% brightness, no auto.
I noticed that it charges fast with the screen off but terribly slow with it on. My battery problem is the knock on feature. I work in a kitchen and keep it in my back pocket so it doesn't get damaged. That's constantly waking it up. I finally figured out how to turn knock off. The whole phone freezes with knock turned off. I hope they come out with a fix for it. It ends up in the 20s by the end of an 8 hour shift on airplane mode as I don't get good service inside. That's ridiculous. My Note ends up in the 70s with Wi-Fi on and Wi-Fi calling. My battery stats show all the use is screen too.

Upvote 0
10 days old now and the battery life seems to be getting better and better. I turned it on at 8 yesterday morning and went to bed at 1 this morning. Had surfed the net, played pod casts, used Viber, sent texts and made calls 32% left. Dont know what those two power management updates were I got from LG, but they have worked

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones