• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LG G3 battery life in real world

21 hours, 6 hours screen time, 66% left on the battery..

100% brightness, as usual.

ZoneRom 8.3,

http://forum.xda-developers.com/tmobile-lg-g3/development/rom-zonerom-07-24-14-deodex-t2827304

custom kernel.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/tmobile-lg-g3/orig-development/kernel-kasp3rd-kernel-t2841509

incredible, all I can say.

Seriously...how is that possible? That would extrapolate to approximately 61 hours total with 17 hours screen on time (if my math is right)

Upvote 0
Seriously...how is that possible? That would extrapolate to approximately 61 hours total with 17 hours screen on time (if my math is right)

well, my friend, you may or may not believe me.

I don't think it is linear though.

at this point I have 24 hours on battery with 42% screen at 100% brightness and 57% of the battery left.

wifi and NFC are on, BT is off.

I made quite a few phone calls, played with DPI, made a nandroid backup etc.
Some web browsing, but not much.
Stock battery.

Frankly, I can't believe it myself. But that's what the screen of the battery usage in About Phone tells me.

I'd better make a nandroid, just in case :D

Upvote 0
Now, I stand corrected. My screen time is just 1 hour 20 minutes.

Now...that makes sense. I was about to call BS LOL! I had charged my phone last night and now its down to 66% to match your usage. I had 13 h, 36 minutes off the charger with only 1 h, 6 minutes of screen on time.

Based on that usage, I could expect approx 40 hours off charger with a little over 3 hours of the display being on (auto brightness set at 50%).

Almost 2 days of light usage isn't bad but I was about to root my phone and put on that ROM/kernel combo you have :D

Attachments

• 1408039732475.jpg
    1408039732475.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 65
Upvote 0
I would still recommend doing so, presuming you are w/t-mo and have D851.

For the first time in my Android life...I'm waiting on a good reason to do so. Just don't see the need as there is nothing I can really gain at this point that I am missing. Once I root it...then I'll get all flash happy and I'm enjoying not constantly updating, using Ti-Bu, and spending time making nandroids LOL!

Upvote 0
For the first time in my Android life...I'm waiting on a good reason to do so. Just don't see the need as there is nothing I can really gain at this point that I am missing. Once I root it...then I'll get all flash happy and I'm enjoying not constantly updating, using Ti-Bu, and spending time making nandroids LOL!

Heretic!! :D

u certainly have a point here, but there are few reasons to root etc, G3 Tweakbox, FauxSound, SDFix among them.

It is rude not to root after all :D

Upvote 0
I've seen a HUGE difference in battery life in San Diego compared to Newport News VA. Geographical location /4G areas may be an issue here.

For the most part, reception is great here. However, my old work drive from Mission Valley up to Escondido took me through some dead spot. I noticed my battery would struggle in those areas as it worked to establish a connection.

Upvote 0
I've seen a HUGE difference in battery life in San Diego compared to Newport News VA. Geographical location /4G areas may be an issue here.

Signal Fatigue is the number one battery drainer in a low usage situation. Always been that way.

At vzw we used to tell people to leave their phone in their car with a full charge overnight. We'd put that in the notes and when the next tech III rep got them they'd ask if the "car trick" worked. The customer would usually say it was nearly fully charged but the battery started draining again later that day which meant it was their heavy usage that caused the problem. Or they'd say it was drained or nearly drained the next morning meaning they had signal fatigue or a bad battery.

The fun part was that they had no idea why they had to put it in the car. Meanwhile we just wanted them to keep their hands off of it overnight. ;)

Upvote 0
Signal Fatigue is the number one battery drainer in a low usage situation. Always been that way.

That's just a myth.

Smartphones are designed by exceptionally smart engineers that understand how phones and cellular systems work, unlike the average user that buys into these silly myths.

The stories I read make me laugh, written by those with no formal education or knowledge of the subject, they do a wonderful job of keeping the misinformation flowing.

For those not too lazy to read:

5 myths about improving your smartphone battery life

Upvote 0
That's just a myth.

Smartphones are designed by exceptionally smart engineers that understand how phones and cellular systems work, unlike the average user that buys into these silly myths.

The stories I read make me laugh, written by those with no formal education or knowledge of the subject, they do a wonderful job of keeping the misinformation flowing.

For those not too lazy to read:

5 myths about improving your smartphone battery life

Odd that you linked to an article which has no mention of the topic in your post.

Upvote 0
Coming from a Samsung Note 2, the expectation for battery life was pretty high.

The G3 does not disappoint though. After 2 weeks with the phone, I've only had to charge before sleep and the phone was usually at 30% battery life still (i usually unplugged at 7am and sleep around midnight). On the weekends I tried to max it out by constantly playing games, streaming Netflix and browsing the web - I still haven't ran into an incident where I had to charge the device before the sun went down.

However there are 2 things that significantly exhaust the phone battery: The first is screen brightness. I usually have it on auto-brightness at 50%, which is plenty bright in my opinion. I tried using the phone at 100% brightness - the battery level literally dropped every 2 minutes. I also found playing games eats up lots of battery (duh), and heats up the phone fast. Fortunately I am not a gamer so this is a non-issue.

Upvote 0
Thought I would add my experience into this thread. Took phone off charge at 6am this morning, used for browsing, Facebook, texting, calls and music whilst in the gym. Auto brightness set to on with 100% and with Bluetooth on connected to my car for telephone for 2 hrs

Screen on time is showing as 2 1/2 hrs, it is now 11 pm at night and have just hit 30%. I would say that is pretty good, seeing as it also says it could run for another 6 hrs

Upvote 0

At vzw we used to tell people to leave their phone in their car with a full charge overnight. We'd put that in the notes and when the next tech III rep got them they'd ask if the "car trick" worked. The customer would usually say it was nearly fully charged but the battery started draining again later that day which meant it was their heavy usage that caused the problem. Or they'd say it was drained or nearly drained the next morning meaning they had signal fatigue or a bad battery.

The fun part was that they had no idea why they had to put it in the car. Meanwhile we just wanted them to keep their hands off of it overnight. ;)

LOL

Yeah, I understand it will drain like crazy in bad areas but I can't believe the difference overall! Took it off the charger this morning to sleep on the couch (why are women always cold?) and still woke up with 100% charge. Got to work to show it off to the other nerds and still had 100%. I hadn't been messing with it at all but any other phone i've ever had would've drained an easy 5% in those HOURS. Made it through the whole "work" day easily with showing it off plenty and my normal heavy usage.
Luckily on work trips I am only supposed to use my work phone (no camera) so it isn't an issue. I was just forced to test drive it over there since my M7 took a dump 12 hours before I had to be at the airport. Still had to meet friends for dinner, pack, kiss the kids, and "say bye" to the lady. I had my daughter googling reviews on her iPhone while I was asking my friends how the like theirs through FB trying to decide between M7 n G3.
So glad I decided on and decided to keep this phone. Just wish it had sense! :smokingsomb:

Upvote 0
I must be in the minority here, but my G3 battery is terrible. I've had the phone for a month now and the drain is extremely disappointing considering I love the phone itself.
As an example, the battery in the past 45 minutes has drained 13% and I've only looked at 2 received texts and searched for one app on the Play Store.
Can anyone give me feedback as to what might be causing this?!!?
I went from the iPhone to this phone as my iPhone 5 was getting plagued by a bad/old battery.
I went so far as to take the G3 back to Best Buy Mobile and they were nice enough to give me a new battery and the issue is the same.
Might there be an app causing the issue? I've taken off all my active widgets, put on a battery defender app, and Advanced Task Killer...any history of these apps draining a phones battery?

Thank you for any help!

Upvote 0
That's not even close to my experience. I've been using my phone all day and am at 50%. First thing, lose the task killer. They haven't been needed or effective since the gingerbread days. It could be an app that's causing the issue. Have you tried a factory reset and use the phone bone stock? Are you running at 100% brightness? Try lowering the brightness and use auto or try lux. A weak data signal can also wreck a battery. Since the battery was swapped, the final thing could be hardware. If you can't lock down the problem, insist on a replacement phone. Good luck!

Reactions: redsox34
Upvote 0
Thanks for the tips guys, I appreciate it.
So, last night I drained the battery down to about 3%, plugged it in and did a hard reset.
I reinstalled just basic apps and did not install the task killers or battery managers apps.
So far, I think there is a bit of improvement. I've had the phone on for an hour and done some light use on it and it's still at 99%.

One question I did have was for Pastafarian...what does it mean to run the phone "bone stock" and was is "lux"?
Also, Best Buy Mobile says I'm past their return period and won't return/exchange the device (I tried yesterday), so should I contact LG should the battery issue not be resolved? Or would I go to Verizon?

Thank you!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones