• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LG G3 battery life in real world

One question I did have was for Pastafarian...what does it mean to run the phone "bone stock" and was is "lux"?
Also, Best Buy Mobile says I'm past their return period and won't return/exchange the device (I tried yesterday), so should I contact LG should the battery issue not be resolved? Or would I go to Verizon?

Thank you!

No problem. By bone stock (too much alliteration? :) ) I meant to run the phone without any additional apps to see if something you added may be the culprit or if it is a hardware issue. LUX is one of the first apps I install, much better in my experience than the stock android auto brightness mode.

As for return? Verizon! You may have to be firm, but even though you bought the device from BB, it's their responsibility to provide service. I've had Sprint swap out phones bought from Amazon and Wirefly.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the tips guys, I appreciate it.
So, last night I drained the battery down to about 3%, plugged it in and did a hard reset.
I reinstalled just basic apps and did not install the task killers or battery managers apps.
So far, I think there is a bit of improvement. I've had the phone on for an hour and done some light use on it and it's still at 99%.

One question I did have was for Pastafarian...what does it mean to run the phone "bone stock" and was is "lux"?
Also, Best Buy Mobile says I'm past their return period and won't return/exchange the device (I tried yesterday), so should I contact LG should the battery issue not be resolved? Or would I go to Verizon?

Thank you!

Bone stock. Nothing loaded. Not even basic apps. Try that for a day. See if it drains as you say like that. Then try loading Facebook or something that is known to be "healthy" so that you're actually getting some use out of it. Without syncing every 5 minutes.
If you find yourself getting good battery and decide to load everything you have been and then your battery goes back to crap again, load one app at a time and test the life before loading another. This will help you find the faulty, batter killing app.

Turn on battery saver. "Immediately". I do this then throw my brightness up a tiny bit. Turning on location and whatnot when I need it. I've made it a habit to look for the leaf (in notification bar when battery saver is on) every once in a while.
Kill all apps in background.

Upvote 0
I think the battery is performing better now after the hard reset and ditching the app killer.
I'm down to 54% but have had a pretty solid day of use out of the phone and the building I work in has lousy LTE connection (and I've had to make 2 calls from here recently).
I took the phone off the charger at 1am and turned the phone off after with no use. I powered up at 6:30am this morning and it's now 4pm (Central Time) so I'm looking at a drop of about 4.8% per hour during standby and use.
I think the point that was made by someone regarding having a bad cellular network effecting the battery may be true too, as in the hour and half since getting back to my work building, I've dropped about 14-16%...
I'm going to give it another couple days of testing and see if it seems to get better. If not, I'll do the "bone stock" reset this weekend.
I didn't load Facebook, Twitter, FB Messenger, this time as I noticed they were nearly always running in the background prior to my reset.
I've also made sure to set my email to manual sync.

Again, thanks for all the tips.

Upvote 0
Just got the phone, and even with lots of playing around, I've had great battery life today, especially coming from a GNex. 49% Battery remaining with 14 Hours 25 minutes use and 1 Hour 45 Minutes SOT. Loads better than GNex. Rooted, but 100% stock otherwise.

Do you have social apps running in the background? The DNA, S4 and Note 3 with mainly heavy use and two hours SOT is about 70%. That has been with streaming, web and emulators (heavy cpu load) and leaving the devices unplugged over night. There have been times when there would be drain issues, but that was the EVIL Samsung media service (DNA is fine). Killed the EVIL Samsung media service (and a reason I would need root for any other Samsung device).

Added: The S4 and Note 3 were rooted, but the DNA is not rooted.

The GNex was less than that? Jeepers creepers.

All three devices have great sleep time (2 to 3% overnight), but for the Samsungs the EVIL media service must be killed. Well, if stock I guess the Samsungs would probably not have great sleep time.

Added 2: Duh! The display is the factor here, since drains more power than even the the 5.7" Note 3. The Note 3 is very good unless on average a lot of whites being used on screen.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
I'm very impressed with the LG G3's battery.
I had a Razr that would not make through the day, at all. It required a charge one to two times a day. I'm a driver and used it from 5:00 am thru to around 6:30-7:00 pm. I use Waze, listen to audio files, You Tube and navigation along with accessing social sites, email and texting. The screen was keep at about 75% screen brightness.
The LG G3 is used the exact same way and I come home with about 20% battery capacity at the end of the day without charging, assuming I left for work with a fully charged phone.

Upvote 0
Real world... Yesterday. Took G3 off charge at 5:30am. Surfed a bit, used timer app. Went to beach at 12:30. Streams music from play music for 4 hrs, Surfed a bit. Went from beach to fantasy draft at 7:00. Used Waze. 3 hr draft using dominator 14, screen on almost the entire time. Went home with 16% battery left at 11:30. I don't think my note 2 would have done as well.

Reactions: Maine Coon
Upvote 0
Real world... Yesterday. Took G3 off charge at 5:30am. Surfed a bit, used timer app. Went to beach at 12:30. Streams music from play music for 4 hrs, Surfed a bit. Went from beach to fantasy draft at 7:00. Used Waze. 3 hr draft using dominator 14, screen on almost the entire time. Went home with 16% battery left at 11:30. I don't think my note 2 would have done as well.

And like your practical example, the common denominator is minimal screen on time. Given LG are display makers, logic suggests their next G3-like device should have second gen Qhd. The S5 Qhd gets the same battery life as the 1080p version of the S5, due to a new panel design created for Qhd.

I expect the next G3-like device to right the only wrong (IMO) on the device. That assumes they do not get rid of the sd slot on the next one... ;)

Upvote 0
May have posted this previously, but have great battery life on this. The only time it gets low (~30%) is a few days a week when I work late. I generally have the phone charged (with phone on) to 90%-100% then after four hours get it down to 30ish. But this is with pretty much 3 1/2 hours of HEAVY use. Several hours of netflix, run on a decent wifi connection, screen brightness all the way up with auto turned off. When I'm not on netflix during this time, I'm on 4g running games, with screen on auto at around 70%, some more intensive then others. Overall, very satisfied.

And I'll be honest, some battery is lost when I forget to turn wifi off and leave the area of the signal so it's constantly searching.

Upvote 0
Hello everyone, I just picked up a G3 last night from Verizon. Traded in a Galaxy S3. When I got home with it the battery was at 45% so the first thing I did was to put it on the charger. 2 hours later it finally charged up.

I went in to do some restoring such as finding my old notification tone on Zedge. As I'm searching for the tone I'm watching the battery number start to tumble down. In the 4 or 5 minutes it took to search and try a few tones it went down to 91%. Then I went to Google Play and retrieved my apps then set my alarms for this morning. In total I'm guessing that was about maybe 10-12 minutes of total usage and it had dropped down to 86%. Now the screen was still in auto dim at this point.

So I put it back on the charge because I thought that was a pretty big drop for that short of a time. Right before going to sleep I went back into the phone to try and fix that dim screen. Took it of auto dim and set it to 60% and the battery level was at 95%.

This morning before work I took another 5 minutes to try and fix an alarm tone and get my Google Go Launcher back in order (which I still can't get right). In that time it dropped down from 95% to 90%.

I guess what I'm asking is does this drop off seem normal? Because in all the previous phones I've ever had I can't remember watching a battery number fall off that bad in a relatively short amount of time.

Upvote 0
I believe you really have to go 100-0% with a phone at least once to calibrate before you start getting accurate numbers. I've been getting great life out of my phone. It seems if it's idle and on wifi it basically uses zero electricity like 1% over 2-4 hours. In normal use I'll get about 24-30 hours with about 4.5 hours screen on time (auto brightness around 50-100%).

Now if you try to play games like the verizon included King's Empire game, you will drain battery at an insane rate. I'm talking low brightness, you can kill 10% in like 20 minutes of gameplay. Thank god I don't game on my phone.

Upvote 0
I guess there must be something to the "it just needs to settle in" thing because mine has been off of charge now for about 30 hours at it's still above 70%. It must do very good while inactive because my old S3 would still be eating up battery at a high rate even with me being a very light phone user.

I've always been one to put a phone on charge every evening regardless of how much battery it has left but I think I'm going to let this G3 run down more before I recharge it.

Upvote 0
I bue my lg g3 yesterday and for now I can see the battery is flying like crazy.these is my first charge,also i notice before i go to bed the battery level was 67% and i check one hour after that and it was 70% is that some isue? My brightness is on 30% auto and the battery fly away in front of my eyes.
Can you give me some advice

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones