1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

lg g3 display

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by edgie70, Nov 19, 2014.

1. edgie70

edgie70 Well-Known Member

Hi all , the lg g3 ticks all the boxes for my next phone BUT one thing bothers me , looking around google searches people complain about the dim display and poor colours that it produces , is the brightness and colour that poor on the display ??? Cheers

2. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique

Why not go check one out in person for yourself?
    I've only briefly spent time with one in a store and will agree it's not as bright as something like the S5, but it's still a very nice display.

3. rivera02

rivera02 Android Enthusiast

It's the weakest part of an otherwise great phone imo. Brightness isn't great especially when compared to current Samsung phones, but the viewing angles are even worse. I really wish LG would've gone with a really good 1080p display instead of a bad 2k. If you can overlook the display weaknesses though, it's a steal at its cheap on contract price right now.

KOLIO likes this.
  4. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest

IMHO, the G2 would be a better choice.
    Either that,or, wait for the G4(?),which I'd assume will have the QHD/Brightness perfected.

5. vin619

vin619 Newbie

I'm looking at this right now as I write this post vs my wife's iphone 6 plus, question how bright you want the screen to be? On full 100% yeah her iphone is brighter but we rarely use 100% I'm at 65% brightness on my G3 and she is only using 50% brightness on her Iphone 6 plus, color wise its good for me I guess due to my pick of a theme with a great wallpaper. compare this on my old samsung S4 this is way way way better.

6. edgie70

Yeah I suppose that one phone at 50% brightness and the lg at 65% its pretty much a good comparison , cheers

7. edgie70

So ive just come back from looking at a g3 and yeah I can see what people mean , my s3 v g3 on 100% is way brighter than the g3 but I keep my s3 screen on low brightness anyway to save battery as you can see
    Screenshot_2014-11-20-15-39-09.jpg

8. vin619

vin619 Newbie

Thats a preference mate not a phone issue, she prefer 50% brightness to save battery. point was the phones screen brightness is not an issue, its bright enough for me that I do need to turn it down.

9. edgie70

When I tried it , it was bright enough for me

10. mlblack16

mlblack16 Well-Known Member

The G3 has a bright display. What some don't realize is, the default setting (likely on the phone you're playing with at the store) is automatic brightness selected, but with the slider only about halfway.

The G3 can do auto bright with a max bright of whatever you slide the adjustment percentage. I find just over 80% more than adequate to save battery and see, but in direct sunlight I slide it to 100% and either deselect auto brightness or leave it checked and adjust slider after I'm back indoors.

I can say the brightness is 1000 x's better than the S3. Can't speak of the S5, but S-AMOLED displays aren't known for great visibility in direct sunlight.

andruoid likes this.
  11. andruoid

andruoid Android Expert

Coming from a Nexus 4, I had a tie when lookung at a new phone: Z3 or G3. The display and camera is why I chose the G3.

12. meyerweb

meyerweb Android Enthusiast

The G3 is not as bright in daylight as the recent Samsung devices (S5, Note 4, Edge). In most situations, though, it's adequate in daylight. It's certainly plenty bright enough for any indoor situation if you adjust the brightness properly.

It's not as highly saturated and contrasty as Samsung's SAMOLED displays, but I think it's on par with most other LCD screen I've seen. Many people prefer the more natural colors of the G3 to the extremely saturated tones of the Samsung's. Others prefer Samsung's approach. Neither is "wrong." It's all about what you like.

You can adjust the contrast on the LG's screen, which I did at first, but doing so has some negative side effects, so I set it back to normal. I have no real complaints about the screen, although I do wish it would match the S5's output in bright daylight.

13. Benholder90

Benholder90 Newbie

How do you adjust the contrast??

14. edgie70

What do you mean negative effect

15. meyerweb

The phone can't make blacks any blacker, or whites any whites any brighter. So what it does to increase contrast is to push the not quite as bright tones (e.g., light gray) brighter, and the not quite as dark tones (e.g., dark gray) darker. So the ends of the brightness range get compressed. I have one app that uses black text on gray buttons. When I upped the contrast, the gray button turned to a very dark gray, and the black on gray text became impossible to read. The same thing happens on the other end: if you have a screen with light gray, or light color, elements against a white background, the light elements shift towards white, making them harder to see.

16. meyerweb

Settings / Accessibility . Tap Color adjustment, then set the slider to on.

At the top center of the screen image, you'll see a light blue half circle. Drag this up and down to change contrast, left and right to change color balance.

LG G3 Forum

The LG G3 release date was June 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.5" inch screen, 13MP camera, 2/3GB RAM, Snapdragon 801 processor, and 3000mAh battery.

June 2014
Release Date
Reviews