• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LG G3 Pre-release/Rumor/Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a techie, and do wish it had the 1080 display, particularly as I do a lot of Web browsing, but it meets my "good enough" threshold.

I could always pass the G3 to my wife in 4 months, get a G3 Prime :) (Our phones are the same vintage, both 2012 RAZR MAXX). I am by far the heavier user, but she is the smartphone photo person.)

Upvote 0
Here is a fairly comprehensive summary that also correlates with Anandtech's review in methods. It explains far better than me and also does it in the frame of comparing with the also good M8: Keys are the battery and performance sections. I notice a significant difference in reviews that are generic and those that actually TEST the device out with light to heavy use.

LG G3 vs. HTC One (M8): Duel duo - page 11 - GSMArena.com

If it's not a root performance comparison, I just don't care.

http://venomroms.com/multitasking-unleash-the-viper/

Good video makes my point.

Upvote 0
Make that a threesome :D I am with both of you. Could not wait for the day that I would be able to hold that beautiful piece of technology in my hands. I had the G2 so surely this next iteration would surely be the perfect phone for me. Removable battery, microSD, laser focus, DAMN! even a 1 watt speaker w/1.5 watt booster amp and that absolutely gorgeous darn near bezel ess screen, QHD no less, are you kidding me ? Surely the biggest improvement since sliced bread right ?

Expectations are through the roof even after all of the reviews start trickling in about all of the screen problems and such. Well that don't matter to me until I check it out with my own two eyes.
I finally go to a sprint store to check it out for myself. I have my M8 with me as it is my DD right now. Getting a little tingle in my stomach as I approach the G3. WOW, this thing is freaking gorgeous !! So lite and comfortable to hold, just like it was made for me. Ok, lets get down to business, start flicking through apps, homescrrens, etc, etc.. Man this thing screams !!! OK lets here some sound, crank volume all the way up and make a +611 call to verizon, wow speakerphone is plenty loud and I don't even have viper on this thing yet, sweet. OK camera let see that super fast focus., another wow can't believe how fast it is and the pics look great ! But then as I am looking at the pick I just took my brain is telling me that it does not look so bright. OK, go back to home screen and go to browser where we can see some more white background. Let me go to settings and check screen brightness, surely it must be turned way down. Setting>display>brightness. OH SH_T !!! It can't be at 100 % !, the check box must be ticked for auto brightness, but its not ! Pull out my M8 on auto brightness and set it next to G3 and oh my, there is no comparison. It is a lot easier for me to see. My stomach at this point is feeling a bit sick and am in disbelief. Tried everything I could to fake out my brain to get the G3 to be almost as bright as the M8 but it was not happening for me. So with hesitation I set her down and knew this just was not gonna work for me. And after a few how in the hell could they take the most important part of a phone and screw it up like that ? Are you kidding me's ? I put her down and walked away.
But that is what makes this hobby so much fun ! All of the reading and research, interacting with all of you fine folks, learning more and more
etc,etc.. So the Note 4 will be the perfect phone for me , right ? :D:D:D
BTW for all of you folks that have the G3 it is probably the perfect phone for you. I am getting older so I need a big bright screen and a lot of volume from the speakers. So on that note make sure you check it out for yourself and see if it fits all of your needs. THE END Phewwwwww :rolleyes:

How did you get in my head and read my thoughts? We had the exact same experience at the Sprint store. I'm left more sad than anything else. So close... It wouldn't have been as bad if I hadn't compared it side by side to my G2 screen. That killed it. It was a really really big let down. All that said, I could see how in a vacuum, it might not bother some people at all, but once you have help them together, it is hard to justify stepping backwards in the display department at least. Especially, since the Quad Screen is supposed to be such a selling point. sigh . . .

Reactions: dan409
Upvote 0
Really?

I was going to just say, "Gee, I coulda had a V8!"

Instead, let's do this -

Notice: the clock is ticking, time to make your final comments gang...

Here's mine - I said that all of the majors were getting 3/32 but did anyone believe me?

Nooooooo! :D

I'm composing mine, Early... I'm composing mine. :p (inside joke)

Upvote 0
Awesome.... what are your initial impressions?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
^ This

Love it so far..I need a root though to put all my programs in..

The screen is great, good outside as well as inside. Mind you, I put the brightness to 100%.

The voice reception is outstanding, like the landline.

The speaker/music is nice and loud, no distortion.

Reports "slow charging". WTF, I use the OEM charger and cable, what it is trying to say?

Reactions: Steven58
Upvote 0
Love it so far..I need a root though to put all my programs in..

The screen is great, good outside as well as inside. Mind you, I put the brightness to 100%.

The voice reception is outstanding, like the landline.

The speaker/music is nice and loud, no distortion.

Reports "slow charging". WTF, I use the OEM charger and cable, what it is trying to say?

Glad to hear you like!! Keep us updated.

Upvote 0

Shouldn't be doing that with the OEM charger. My G2 will almost always give me that message if I hook it up to a random charger who's output voltage/mAh isn't precisely that of the factory one.

Reactions: Steven58
Upvote 0
Shouldn't be doing that with the OEM charger. My G2 will almost always give me that message if I hook it up to a random charger who's output voltage/mAh isn't precisely that of the factory one.

However, with new-device-itis, isn't it possible to start running many processes and exceeding the charging supply with the battery draw?

I'm asking if the LG is like this instead - because I know an HTC will pop up the warning that you're running past the charger, rather than state slow charging.

:dontknow:

And, what is the stock charger amperage for the G2 and G3?

Upvote 0
another annoyance, although it is not G3, it is Google w/KitKat 4.4.2.

Sygic Navigator reports that access to the SD card is denied, OK, bye :mad:

W/root that would be no problem at all.

Without root the solution is to copy the folder "Sygic" to the internal storage.

Cold fix is extremely fast, btw, one of the fastest I've ever seen, under 15 sec from the inside, with nothing but GPS /no wifi or 4G as helpers/.

Upvote 0
As I posted a day or two ago,my G3 is officially on its way back to T-Mobile as of this afternoon.
Sold the OPTIMUS G PRO yesterday & a sale is pending come Friday on the G-FLEX.

The G3 is one nice phone,even with the brightness & text peculiarities.
LG nailed the U/I & features (wouldn't mind seeing a SENSEsque BLINKFEED & TV app though).

I'm looking forward to LG's next effort,whatever that may be.
However,I actually have a sense of contentment for the 1st time in quite a while w/the 1+1 & HTC ONE M8. (Don't hold me to that should a 5.5" M8 Prime drop) ;) :rofl:

I'll probably see most of you in those future device forums,but,I have a feeling it will be more of a spectators view/interest rather than actively anticipating the announcement & availability dates.

PEACE BE WITH YOU ALL. :thumbup:

Upvote 0
have you tried different outlets?

However, with new-device-itis, isn't it possible to start running many processes and exceeding the charging supply with the battery draw?

I'm asking if the LG is like this instead - because I know an HTC will pop up the warning that you're running past the charger, rather than state slow charging.

:dontknow:

And, what is the stock charger amperage for the G2 and G3?

Will retest later on. It is just not right. Maybe it is my strip, maybe something else, I need to find out.

This little animal will have Qi charging both at home and in the car really soon now though :D

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones