• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LG G3 Pre-release/Rumor/Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
However, with new-device-itis, isn't it possible to start running many processes and exceeding the charging supply with the battery draw?

I'm asking if the LG is like this instead - because I know an HTC will pop up the warning that you're running past the charger, rather than state slow charging.

:dontknow:

And, what is the stock charger amperage for the G2 and G3?

I get the slow charging warning with my m8 when I use an older usb cable. I still use it to charge my bed at the night stand overnight... works fine.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
In the interim, you might be able to get by with another charger in the 1.8 to 2.0(ish) range. Lower than 1.8 will almost definitely be a bust. A bit higher may work to get a fast charge rate, if you happen to have anything in that range laying around.

Chargers push voltage and that's standardized at 5 V.

Devices draw current on demand, it's not pushed, up to the specific safe value wired into the battery charging circuit.

Better to try a better USB cable - higher resistance will throttle current and that could be the problem here.

Anything can be lemony when shipped, including the cable.

Upvote 0
As I posted a day or two ago,my G3 is officially on its way back to T-Mobile as of this afternoon.
Sold the OPTIMUS G PRO yesterday & a sale is pending come Friday on the G-FLEX.

The G3 is one nice phone,even with the brightness & text peculiarities.
LG nailed the U/I & features (wouldn't mind seeing a SENSEsque BLINKFEED & TV app though).

I'm looking forward to LG's next effort,whatever that may be.
However,I actually have a sense of contentment for the 1st time in quite a while w/the 1+1 & HTC ONE M8. (Don't hold me to that should a 5.5" M8 Prime drop) ;) :rofl:

I'll probably see most of you in those future device forums,but,I have a feeling it will be more of a spectators view/interest rather than actively anticipating the announcement & availability dates.

PEACE BE WITH YOU ALL. :thumbup:

Kolio.

Will miss you bud :(

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
Final thoughts from moi:
I'll still post a bit, here, but this is my summation-type post. :)

In the beginning...
I stole that line from God. :)

We all had very, very high hopes for this device based upon the rumored leaks and based upon the success and exceptional breakout quality of the G2.

We were hoping for a Snapdragon 805, but were really letdown by the fact that LG had, for whatever reason, decided to go with the prevalent 801 chip. The G2 already had the 801, so some of us were wondering where the improvement was, if any.

The unique characteristics of this new phone turned out to be having a large screen with small bezels
which makes holding a phablet easier,
it was the first American phone to sport a qHD screen, and the OS shell was going to be improved.

The problem with using a qHD was that it was a qHD. Pushing pixels takes power and therefore some battery life. To his credit, the amazing @EarlyMon called this first in a practical and yet prophetic way. Another issue was that the screen didn't compare, in brightness, with the S5 and M8. The MobileTechReview showed us that in living color right off the bat. It was a bit of a shocker.

Some claimed text issues, charging issues, etc.

The bottom line is that the progress of smartphone tech, imo, is so great all around that it's truly difficult to "stand apart from the crowd" with something amazingly unique and ground-breaking. This, imo, was the case with the G3. There were too many trade offs to make this phone one that all of us would unanimously love.

I have an analogy. Compare this device's lead up and debut with another highly anticipated one. The Galaxy Nexus. The Gnex, in its day, more than lived up to its hype. I can count on my one hand the number of folks from the epic thread I mentioned, who passed it up. Sure, some did, but most didn't. Most were early adopters, myself included. We LOVED it. It met our expectations and had no complaints until later on when it became outdated.
Perhaps I exaggerate?

The G3 started out with a great deal of hype, but on it's way many of us were let down by the specs and performance not living up to our expectations, so imo many of us left for the m8 or are waiting for the "next best thing."

Me? I am going to look at this badboy at the store but I'm likely waiting for the 805 if qHD is going to be the rule going forward.

Is it a great phone? Many believe it is the best in the world, now. Is it pound for pound as great a phone as the G2 was last year? I don't believe so.

To all who are getting it? I truly believe you've made a fine choice. To those who aren't? To those who are waiting for the next best thing or who have gotten the M8? Isn't that one of the reasons why we like Android?? Choice!

As this thread is closing, I want to say that I've enjoyed everyone's company, everyone's contributions and everyone's humor. :)

Upvote 0
I enjoyed my time lurking 👀
👋👋 😘💨👄...

We could have done with less lurking and another person helping keep some of us in line :) The mods need help keeping us wild ones at bay! ;)

Hope people like me were/are not too annoying. Not meant maliciously anyway.

BTW, tested the G3 tonight for longer. I really do think that with a great 1080p display the G3 would have been the best device to date and the closest to a reasonable perfect. LG chose the 801 since they knew most would be happy, since most are not heavy users. Well played, but at the tech geek minoritiy's "expense".

Upvote 0
Steven has inspired me to write my final thoughts.

First, I've never really posted here, mainly lurked. Many thanks to the shared frustrations and snark. Some of the finest snark I've snacked on in a long time.

OK, thoughts.........

When I heard it was the 805 and waterproof, I was ready to write the check, no matter the size. Then we weren't sure about the 805. Then we weren't sure about the 32gb storage. Then we weren't sure about the release date. Then we knew it was the 801. Then we heard (and saw) that the Korean version had a somewhat dim screen and battery was taking a hit.

The hype of what it COULD have been, multiplied by the idiotic information rollout = what I now think are people who have swung a bit too far on the pessimistic side. Having used it for a few days, I can say that at 100% brightness, off auto, it's almost too bright for consistent use. Perfectly legible outdoors, with many reviews of the US unit showing similar max brightness to the S5 and M8. The battery for me has been more than satisfactory, and removable.

What it ISN'T, and could have been, is the OBJECTIVE best phone on the planet. Perhaps because it got so close to that, there is even more frustration.

I think for ME, it's clearly the best mix of what's important in my usage. I think if people test drive it without the influence of 100 reviews, a lot of people will agree with me.

I also think that had I chosen the S5 or the M8 (really more the M8) I would be almost equally happy and there are clear, cogent arguments for either of those phones over the G3.

My parting shot is this........at least play with one before judging. The screen is NOT dim, the battery is NOT bad, and it doesn't overheat EXCESSIVELY. Don't let the noise get in the way of an informed decision.

For all that make the wise decision I did, looking forward to seeing you in the G3 forum. For those of you choosing something else, or choosing not to yet choose, I hope you find something that really makes you happy. That's the beauty of Android, and at worst we're all cousins.

Upvote 0
We could have done with less lurking and another person helping keep some of us in line :) The mods need help keeping us wild ones at bay! ;)

Hope people like me were/are not too annoying. Not meant maliciously anyway.

BTW, tested the G3 tonight for longer. I really do think that with a great 1080p display the G3 would have been the best device to date and the closest to a reasonable perfect. LG chose the 801 since they knew most would be happy, since most are not heavy users. Well played, but at the tech geek minoritiy's "expense".

This thread was INTENSE, It was like being on a roller coaster ride!

ADDED: Rushmore, you're great!

Upvote 0
Final thoughts from moi:
I'll still post a bit, here, but this is my summation-type post. :)

In the beginning...
I stole that line from God. :)

We all had very, very high hopes for this device based upon the rumored leaks and based upon the success and exceptional breakout quality of the G2.

We were hoping for a Snapdragon 805, but were really letdown by the fact that LG had, for whatever reason, decided to go with the prevalent 801 chip. The G2 already had the 801, so some of us were wondering where the improvement was, if any.

The unique characteristics of this new phone turned out to be having a large screen with small bezels
which makes holding a phablet easier,
it was the first American phone to sport a qHD screen, and the OS shell was going to be improved.

The problem with using a qHD was that it was a qHD. Pushing pixels takes power and therefore some battery life. To his credit, the amazing @EarlyMon called this first in a practical and yet prophetic way. Another issue was that the screen didn't compare, in brightness, with the S5 and M8. The MobileTechReview showed us that in living color right off the bat. It was a bit of a shocker.

Some claimed text issues, charging issues, etc.

The bottom line is that the progress of smartphone tech, imo, is so great all around that it's truly difficult to "stand apart from the crowd" with something amazingly unique and ground-breaking. This, imo, was the case with the G3. There were too many trade offs to make this phone one that all of us would unanimously love.

I have an analogy. Compare this device's lead up and debut with another highly anticipated one. The Galaxy Nexus. The Gnex, in its day, more than lived up to its hype. I can count on my one hand the number of folks from the epic thread I mentioned, who passed it up. Sure, some did, but most didn't. Most were early adopters, myself included. We LOVED it. It met our expectations and had no complaints until later on when it became outdated.
Perhaps I exaggerate?

The G3 started out with a great deal of hype, but on it's way many of us were let down by the specs and performance not living up to our expectations, so imo many of us left for the m8 or are waiting for the "next best thing."

Me? I am going to look at this badboy at the store but I'm likely waiting for the 805 if qHD is going to be the rule going forward.

Is it a great phone? Many believe it is the best in the world, now. Is it pound for pound as great a phone as the G2 was last year? I don't believe so.

To all who are getting it? I truly believe you've made a fine choice. To those who aren't? To those who are waiting for the next best thing or who have gotten the M8? Isn't that one of the reasons why we like Android?? Choice!

As this thread is closing, I want to say that I've enjoyed everyone's company, everyone's contributions and everyone's humor. :)

Note to Director: Cue "Auld Lang Syne".

Upvote 0
I'm having fun reading the Verizon lg g3 thread on XDA. Those guys are going ape s@#$ over tracking numbers. Amazing how angry some of them are.
Yeah, cracking me up.

Steven - the reason people didn't bail on the gnex wasn't because it exceeded expectations. The battery life was horrible, the signal strength was also not very good. And let's not even get started on how it was rolled out. The reason people didn't bail on the Gnex was because we all knew there was no alternative. We saw the writing on the wall regarding bootloaders, and Nexus in general, on Verizon. It was our one chance, and no one was going to pass it up.

The G3 is a fantastic phone, and I'm excited about it personally. But it doesn't have that "there is no other device that compares" aura that the GNex did. To be fair, it never did. Not until the next Nexus device is available on Verizon will we have that ;)

It's been fun to hang out with everyone here, pre-release threads are great, even if many aren't sticking around, and it isn't a megathread. :D

Reactions: Jeyd02 and Steven58
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones