• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LG G3 QHD Display Review! (by MKBHD)

Eek...Not sure if it's the guy's video or how he shot the video, but the full brightness doesn't look good at all in shade or sunlight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8ATR2P7G-Q

I'm figuring it's gotta be the way this was shot because it can't be that horrible viewing in sunlight, at full brightness.

The guy who has the korean version says it is quite bad compared to amoleds, but it is not a deal breaker for him.

Of course I would prefer that it had Kindle Paperwhite quality in the sunlight. Doesn't seem to be the case though.

Upvote 0
Eek...Not sure if it's the guy's video or how he shot the video, but the full brightness doesn't look good at all in shade or sunlight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8ATR2P7G-Q

I'm figuring it's gotta be the way this was shot because it can't be that horrible viewing in sunlight, at full brightness.

Yeah,I agree.If this is indeed the case,I'd just return it within your carriers time frame (typically 14 days from purchase) for a refund,or another model altogether if this is really that bad in sunlight.

I've owned several phones from most of the well-known mfgs & all of them lose a bit of visibility in sunlight.

If memory serves me right,the best phone that I've owned for outdoor use is the Motorola Photon.

This subject has the potential to turn into another "Battery Life" discussion............. :p

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
The guy who has the korean version says it is quite bad compared to amoleds, but it is not a deal breaker for him.

Of course I would prefer that it had Kindle Paperwhite quality in the sunlight. Doesn't seem to be the case though.

Yeah, that video looked awful, so I am hoping that I can at least see in sunlight. The way it looked in the video, I could barely see anything. All the phones I have had up until now have been more than efficient in sunlight. This didn't look close.

Yeah,I agree.If this is indeed the case,I'd just return it within your carriers time frame (typically 14 days from purchase) for a refund,or another model altogether if this is really that bad in sunlight.

I've owned several phones from most of the well-known mfgs & all of them lose a bit of visibility in sunlight.

If memory serves me right,the best phone that I've owned for outdoor use is the Motorola Photon.

This subject has the potential to turn into another "Battery Life" discussion............. :p

Best I had was Photon, until the Note 3. The Note 3 has been fine in the sunlight and as you know, L.A. weather requires good viewing in the sunlight.

Upvote 0
Yeah, that video looked awful, so I am hoping that I can at least see in sunlight. The way it looked in the video, I could barely see anything. All the phones I have had up until now have been more than efficient in sunlight. This didn't look close.
Best I had was Photon, until the Note 3. The Note 3 has been fine in the sunlight and as you know, L.A. weather requires good viewing in the sunlight.

Yeah,I remember the NOTE 3 doing pretty good in sunlight as well.
It's still one of the best phones available,arguably better than anything out to date.

Upvote 0
I'm pretty close to picking the G3 to upgrade from my Note 2. The display is probably the main thing that gives me pause though.

I've been on Samsung phones for a few years now, and have loved the bright colors and crazy contrast/black levels of their AMOLED displays. Especially how blacks disappear into nothing in a dark room, for example.

I'm wondering how I'd feel going to an LCD after all this time. I can remember my devices from years back (iPhone 3G, EVO 4G) with their piss poor viewing angles and low contrast. Even my 2013 Nexus 7's LCD offers so so viewing angles, but very lame black levels, even in a well lit room with the brightness up.

Any long time AMOLED users switch to LCD? How big a deal was it for you?

Upvote 0
I'm pretty close to picking the G3 to upgrade from my Note 2. The display is probably the main thing that gives me pause though.

I've been on Samsung phones for a few years now, and have loved the bright colors and crazy contrast/black levels of their AMOLED displays. Especially how blacks disappear into nothing in a dark room, for example.

I'm wondering how I'd feel going to an LCD after all this time. I can remember my devices from years back (iPhone 3G, EVO 4G) with their piss poor viewing angles and low contrast. Even my 2013 Nexus 7's LCD offers so so viewing angles, but very lame black levels, even in a well lit room with the brightness up.

I have an S4 amoLED and the G3. I realize that the S5 is much better than the S4, but that said the G3 is clearly better in sunlight and clearly more detailed. The contrast isn't great. It's not bad, and nothing you would notice in normal lighting, but in dark rooms the S4 crushes it.

Doesn't bother me, but if that's what you like, I don't think you would like the G3 display.

You WOULD like everything else though. ;-)

Upvote 0
The contrast isn't great. It's not bad, and nothing you would notice in normal lighting, but in dark rooms the S4 crushes it.

Doesn't bother me, but if that's what you like, I don't think you would like the G3 display.

Yea, I'm not surprised by that assessment. Maybe I'll just have to get one home and see how big a deal it is in real life for me.

But yea, pretty much everything else on the phone looks pretty killer, EXCEPT the light themed system menus many Android phones seem to be going with these days (including Android L from the look of it), as apposed to the dark look that Android has had for years. Wounder if that's something that can be tweaked in the G3's theme switching?

Upvote 0

Your eyes should adjust to it after just a few minutes and look normal to you. It would stick out though when comparing again side to side.

Upvote 0
In real life the only real world situation that would affect me is driving with it as GPS. Usually the car is shaded well with no direct light on location of phone mount, (bout to get tinting on windows though).

I usually do not use the phone in direct sunlight, other than basics and for short periods of time. Any time I am really using the phone is inside. When I am in the sun, I usually do not want to use a phone, but this is just my situation. I understand others needs are different than mine.

I chose this over the M8 because of the camera. I liked the speakers, but the camera I use more, granted it may be harder to see the outdoor picture I just took but its not a deal breaker. We used my wife's G2 at the beach recently and got some phenomenal pictures, I can't remember being bothered by the screen visibility.

Upvote 0
In real life the only real world situation that would affect me is driving with it as GPS. Usually the car is shaded well with no direct light on location of phone mount, (bout to get tinting on windows though).

I usually do not use the phone in direct sunlight, other than basics and for short periods of time. Any time I am really using the phone is inside. When I am in the sun, I usually do not want to use a phone, but this is just my situation. I understand others needs are different than mine.

I chose this over the M8 because of the camera. I liked the speakers, but the camera I use more, granted it may be harder to see the outdoor picture I just took but its not a deal breaker. We used my wife's G2 at the beach recently and got some phenomenal pictures, I can't remember being bothered by the screen visibility.

drexappeal already reported that unchecking autobrightness and pushing it to 100% gives a perfect picture in direct sunlight.

I don't think we should be concerned.

Upvote 0
how is this even possible that the AMOLED is better than the LCD in sunlight..it has always been the other way around and usually by a mile. AMOLEDS are getting much better year after year but even with the S5 it is nothing compared to my iphone 5s in direct sunlight...And neither of those compare to the Nokia 1520..sunlight seemingly has no effect at all on the screen with that polarizing technology they are now using..pretty unreal.

Upvote 0
Please let us know. Direct sun and contrast/black level performance. :)

It's been cloudy in my place for the last couple of days, with the little sunshine.

What I can tell you, the text in the androidforums.com is readable, black is black, the contrast (raised thru Settings) is OK.

Nothing exceptional though. It is not Kindle Paperwhite for sure.

I always can put the phone in the shade though, from my own head :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones