• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LG G5 (RS988) - LG Stock - Receive Error "Process com.android.phone isn't responding"

Ascii2

Oct 16, 2015
Many have reported more trouble on LG's Android Nougat than on LG's Android Marshmallow for the LG G5 RS988.

I am trying to determine if a bug described in this post also manifests for others.

At present, I do not use a SIM with the LG G5 RS988 and use stock Android Nougat updated to the RS98821d revision.

I had noticed some time ago when booting the LG G5 (RS988) into the stock Nougat that I receive an error stating, "Process com.android.phone isn't responding". If one goes to Settings --> About phone --> Status OR Settings --> About phone --> Network, one may see a long delay before any information for section is displayed. The problem manifests both in the normal mode and Safe Mode. The error was not displayed when using stock Android Marshmallow.

I have applied the various LG updates for the device, but the problem persists. Clearing various caches does not resolve the problem. The problem appears to manifest regardless as to whether or not the "Show all ANRs" option from Developer options is used; however, when "Show all ANRs" is not enabled there may be a lag or delay before the device performs some actions while waiting before the "Process com.android.phone isn't responding" error message appears. For the error message to be displayed, the screen should not be allowed to go to sleep prior to the display of the error message. I do not know whether or not the presence of a SIM changes whether or not the problem manifests.

To attempt to reproduce the problem on the device, the following procedure is used on a device without a SIM installed:
  1. Boot or reboot device into stock Android Nougat.
  2. Wait or do something else until the error message appears; do not allow the screen to sleep in the meantime. (At this time, it may also be a good idea to go to Settings --> About phone --> Status OR Settings --> About phone --> Network)

I have attached files of pictures of examples of the error message and the Android software version.

Are others able to reproduce the problem?

Attachments

• Software_Version_Info.png
    Software_Version_Info.png
    300.9 KB · Views: 507
  • Screenshot_Example_1.png
    Screenshot_Example_1.png
    412 KB · Views: 529
  • Screenshot_Example_2.png
    Screenshot_Example_2.png
    356.2 KB · Views: 445
  • Screenshot_Example_3.png
    Screenshot_Example_3.png
    729.4 KB · Views: 686
  • Screenshot_Example_4.png
    Screenshot_Example_4.png
    946 KB · Views: 394
  • Screenshot_Example_5.png
    Screenshot_Example_5.png
    107.8 KB · Views: 429

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones