1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

LG is all done with phones...

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by rootabaga, Apr 5, 2021.

1. rootabaga

rootabaga Android Expert

mikedt and ocnbrze like this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

I never actually saw an LG phone, ever. I know LG does some products in China, I've seen their washing machines fridge-freezers, and microwaves, but not phones.

3. rootabaga

rootabaga Android Expert

Not to put too fine a point on it, but they’ve been done with phones for a long time.

This just makes it official. ;)

Jfalls63 likes this.
  4. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

Back when headphonejacks were a thing they had the best DACs. I had to rip my CDs again when I got one.

Hadron likes this.
  5. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Yeah, they tried making audio quality a selling point. As did HTC. The lesson, sadly, seems to be that not enough people care.

Perhaps the other lesson, given LG's many attempts to innovate, is that it's hard to find innovation in the smartphone that people find genuinely compelling. It's cheaper to do what the market leaders do: just call whatever phoned-in iterative update you release "innovation" and be done with it.

Davdi likes this.
  6. rootabaga

rootabaga Android Expert

From the article: "LG's smartphone division has logged nearly six years of losses totalling some $4.5 billion. Dropping out of the fiercely competitive sector would allow LG to focus on growth areas such as electric vehicle components, connected devices and smart homes, it said in a statement."

Four and a half billion dollars. Is that a lot? ;)

7. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Depends on who you are and what your priorities are. $4.5 billion over 6 years is about 0.5% of LG's revenue (assuming Wikipedia is accurate there - I don't know how easy it is to get reliable numbers for these huge, sprawling family-controlled conglomerates, though LG do seem to be more honest in their dealings than Samsung have often been),

dontpanicbobby likes this.
  8. codezer0

codezer0 Android Expert

Well, shit.

Meanwhile I'm here with a G4 I can't seem to root because none of the supposed files I'd need for it are available to download anymore, and my v20. Mercifully my V20 has been so much happier since rooting and putting a custom ROM, short of being thirstier on battery life. but at least I can get an extended battery for it. And... that's the problem.

In all the years I've been alive and had the privilege to even have a wireless phone of any kind, a number of truths always held:
    • No phone bought on contract ever lasted more than one year
    • No factory battery ever lasts even a third of its advertised figures
    • Sealed battery phones? I'd be lucky to even get six months out of one before its life is degraded
    Not even joking. And while I'm aware the xcover pro exists, well... I'm not touching another Samsung, whose battery I can't replace. And while its design shouldn't impede the ability to design/make an extended battery for it, I can't find any replacement batteries for the stupid thing, anywhere.

9. mikedt

mikedt 你好

I've only ever bought one phone on contract, an NEC 9A in 1992, 29 years ago.
    IMG_3114-2.jpg

Of course I can't really comment about LG phones, if they're good or bad, having never seen one.

10. Milo Williamson

Milo Williamson Android Enthusiast

I have an LG computer, that has been in excellent condition forever, had this since the wee days of where, I just walked away from a massive drama chat. Into a finer state of groups of people.

11. Milo Williamson

Milo Williamson Android Enthusiast

Hahahaa.... :) Well you guys where a bit later on in my life, was thinking of my wethinker's crew :)