• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help lg k20 plus question

corvairbob

Android Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2013
i have an lg k20 plus model phone.a for some reason about every 3 months i have to do a factory reset because it will not keep any apps open. i use mostley tinycam app to monitor my cameras and after i do a factory reset, after i do this the phone works good. but as you know i have to go and reset all my favorites and home screen etc. i do not have a ton of app as i have 15 gb of internal memory left. it uses about 1.3 gb of the 1.5gb of internal ram and i have about 550 mb of ram free most of the time.

sometimes i will delete the tinycam app and reinstall it and the phone will work for a week or so then it will just do this again it will let me open any app and then close it. if i turn off the phone it will work better for about a day and then start it again. it will keep doing this until i factory reset it again. so is this a flaw with the phone or was i luck enough to get one that is not working correctly? i got it from ebay and that may be why it was there.

so is there anything i can do to make this stop or my best bet is to just get another phone and sell this one as parts? thanks much

If you think it's the tinycam app try an alternate. I use the IP cam viewer. You could also try clearing the app and system caches instead of a factory reset.
thanks tiny cam app is not causing this as all the app do it. it is i use tinycam app more than the rest. i can't get all my cameras on that app i tried. and yes i did do system caches clearing and that di dnot help all it did was make it worse as i managed to clear out some that should not ahve been cleared and the phone just went wacko. but i have also cleared them one at a time and still did it.

i notice it more on tinycam as like i said i use that app 90% more than the rest. but weather bug and my radar goodbudget and free cell are more of the most apps i use and they all will open and then close, this goes on until i reset to factory. so i'm wondering if anyone has had this issue with this model of phone? thanks

Upvote 0
It's not a great phone, but it's not bad. It shouldn't be doing this so frequently ... or ever. If a factory reset clears that up then try looking at other apps that would be clogging up your phone with crap. That's what it sounds like to me.
i would ordinarily agree with you but with the lg aristo i have zero issues and run all the same apps. in fact i'm now using that phone again due to the issue with the k20 plus.the only reason l stopped using that one is it would get slow and run out of room, i had to put a lot of apps on the sd card and that made the phone slower when it had to access the sd card to run the apps. and there were a few apps i want to add but did not have room so i got the k20 for the added room on the phone. that added apps i do not think made any difference as i put them on the phone and only used them a few times. plus i did have those apps on the aristo without any issues.

i thought the same thing that i had bad apps. i use greenify to close the apps when not in use and i make sure i take the thumbs of the start page so i don't have any residual stuff messing with the memory. thanks

Upvote 0
I get the general impression reading through your postings that you're micromanaging your phone's RAM, essentially forcing Android to over-compensate for your actions. Try removing all those 'magic' utilities and instead focus on setting up Android's memory management properly so it will just work the way it's designed to.

Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0
I get the general impression reading through your postings that you're micromanaging your phone's RAM, essentially forcing Android to over-compensate for your actions. Try removing all those 'magic' utilities and instead focus on setting up Android's memory management properly so it will just work the way it's designed to.

you could be correct. but i do the exact same thing with the aristo and it works good. that is why i'm asking. i have had other phones but they all had less memory space and i could not put the apps on it i use the most so i went to the 32gb phone. and i ren the same apps the help me with closing apps and such and those phone ran good but for less memory.

so tell me what apps do you think i'm using to micromanage the phone the only app i use that helps is greenify. the phone otherwise does it's thing. i have lots of apps but the only app that i have on the phone that assists the phone is greenify. and if i don't use that i have a bunch of issues with apps the never close. so if this greenify is micro managing i'm guilty thanks

Upvote 0
now i'm being told i micro manage this phone so i turned it back on after having the battery out of it for a few days.

i take it out to keep it from just draining over time. and i ran 2 apps. myradar tinycam and then hit the square open last used apps. i got funlux tinecam myradar and settings, as i turned on the screen display to keep it on while i post and it close both tinycam and myradar and it is running so slow i have to wait almost 5 seconds to respond.

i went to memory and it says i used 54 apps in the last 3 hours. and i just put the battery back in it so that should have cleared that statement out i had 548mb of free ram and that is counting up and down everytime i open that memory tab now at 353 and it just closed that tab and went back the the home page. so now i just took out the battery again and restarted with the back off. now i have 49 apps the last hour. 1.8gb memory avg used 73% 506 mb free. now 507 free nw 503 free 504,505, need i go on here?

now i open my radar and then tinycam and i get 507 free then close and open memory and got 508,510, so that must be a dynamic range

i opened greenify to close those apps that is the only app i have on it the does anything to micro manage that i know of. oh i have avast anti virus on it be before i did not have that and it still did what it is doing now. something has to be going on that i just can't find. that is why i'm asking. this is the only phone i have had that ever did this kind of open and close the apps. sometimes i will get app closed message but this doesn't give a message it just closes.

so tell me if the battery is out it seems that should purge everything in the memory. i mean that is as cold of a boot i know of. and the battery was out of it for a few days. so i will keep the door off for a bit and see if maybe the door is causing some twisting? thanks

Upvote 0
Well it probably isn't Greenify but if you're setting it up to do things like 'clean residual memory' tasks that's micromanaging the RAM. So it's not the app, it's how it's being used.
Having to do a Factory Reset every three months is an indicator of a serious problem. Since you're so sure it isn't a matter of over-tweaking things, than you should flash it with a stock ROM, do Factory Reset, and start over with a clean set up to see if the phone continues to be a problem.

Upvote 0
Well it probably isn't Greenify but if you're setting it up to do things like 'clean residual memory' tasks that's micromanaging the RAM. So it's not the app, it's how it's being used.
Having to do a Factory Reset every three months is an indicator of a serious problem. Since you're so sure it isn't a matter of over-tweaking things, than you should flash it with a stock ROM, do Factory Reset, and start over with a clean set up to see if the phone continues to be a problem.

i have greenify setup accordly to how it wants to be setup. the phone is not rooted so i have limited settings. some apps i had to set them to ignore working and running state to get the apps to shutdown.

this last time i had to do a factory reset i went into the settings and i turned off everything i could and that made no difference. i just checked and everything is off google stuff i did not mess with but except for greenify everything is off i mean everythig i wanted to see if anything running was causing this, and turning off the phone systems did not change a thing.

if i do a factory reset that will turn on what the phone thinks it needs but i just know in about 3 months it will start doing it again. i have had to do the factory reset on this phone now at least 4 times in the past year.

so how do i do a reflash can someone point me to a youtube that shows how and the programs needed to do this? i do not want to root it, i did that to a different phone and the twas program took up so much memory the phone was junk to me and i could not get that twas out of the thing so i tossed it out. i'm not that much of a phone wiz to mess with that anymore. i believe in letting the phone do its thing but not just start closing the apps by itself like it is doing now. thanks

Upvote 0
By adding those 'enhancements' it feels not so much a matter of optimizing performance but rather treating this Android device like it's an ailing Windows PC -- memory managers, anti-virus utilities, and whatever other third-party utilities that have been added indicate a Windows approach to system management, not Android.

you may be correct but if i did not have greenify my battery drops in less than a day with greenify the battery lasts a few days so the phone is not doing what everyone claims they should do.

out of the box all i put on the phone was tinycam app and whatever came on it for the box and the battery ran out of power in less than a day then i added greenify after asking why this was going on and the people at that time said to install greenify and let it set itself up and do what is said to de and it will shut down everything not needed to run.

that is all i can tell you. but on my other phones i do not have this issue and they are full of apps. i eventually did fill this phone with apps because i was replacing the old phone because it kept telling me it had no space. so i got a 32gb phone and that issue went away.

to be honest i have had smart phone for a few years and this one is the first one i have had this issue with. and that is why i started this thread to see if other are having this issue. it sounds like no one is so i think i have a phone that is having internal issues. thanks

Upvote 0
i went to memory and it says i used 54 apps in the last 3 hours. and i just put the battery back in it so that should have cleared that statement out i had 548mb of free ram and that is counting up and down everytime i open that memory tab now at 353 and it just closed that tab and went back the the home page. so now i just took out the battery again and restarted with the back off. now i have 49 apps the last hour. 1.8gb memory avg used 73% 506 mb free. now 507 free nw 503 free 504,505, need i go on here?

Freeing up memory to improve performance is a common misconception with Android and other 'nix variants. With most people being familiar with Windows and the Microsoft paradigm, it is hard to break this habit. In this case the reverse is true. The phone performs much more efficiently with less free memory. You are seeing all those recently used apps because Android is pre-caching them for you so when you go to actually use them, they are available much more quickly.

memsettings.png

This is what I see and my phone runs perfectly fine.

I still think one of your apps is bogging down your performance, but without having your phone to examine, I can only guess. Things like cache and temp files filling up or exceeding a reasonable size would be my first place to look.

Other than the performance issue, everything else works reasonably well?

Upvote 0
Freeing up memory to improve performance is a common misconception with Android and other 'nix variants. With most people being familiar with Windows and the Microsoft paradigm, it is hard to break this habit. In this case the reverse is true. The phone performs much more efficiently with less free memory. You are seeing all those recently used apps because Android is pre-caching them for you so when you go to actually use them, they are available much more quickly.

View attachment 138978

This is what I see and my phone runs perfectly fine.

I still think one of your apps is bogging down your performance, but without having your phone to examine, I can only guess. Things like cache and temp files filling up or exceeding a reasonable size would be my first place to look.

Other than the performance issue, everything else works reasonably well?

yes the phone runs good when i run but when it starts closing the apps as soon as i open them then is starts running bad . i'm back to my old phone and will look for another 32gb memory phone and sell this one for parts. this is the 4th time it has done this with exactly the same apps. since i got it. all my other phones ran perfect but they just did not have the ram for the apps and having them on the sd card was not working. anyway the screen shot you gave looks like my phong but for the free memory and that is what you said the phone is keeping stuff in the ready.

what i need to figure out is why it is just closing any app i open. and it like every 3 months lust like it has some kind of time in it and when it reaches the time ir start acting up. almost like a demo phone. demo hearing aid do that they run for the alotted time and then shut down. this phone acts just like that. thanks

Upvote 0
ok this is what i did to see if the problem returns. today i did a backup on the lg k20 plus using the phone settings section-backup and reset-backup for google was on so i figure google has my apps. so i did a factory reset and let the phone do a factory reset. and then whatever the phone turns back on i will leave that alone.

it put all the apps back but i only moved these 4 apps to the home screen and then opened up tinycam monitor swifi greenify and freecell apps. so if any apps are giving me fits will they still give me fit if i do not open them from this fresh restore? what i will do now is about every 2 weeks move an app form the back up to the home page and only run apps that are on the home page.

being this phone for the moment is not going to be used for phone service, i took the sim out and put back in my old phone so i can test this without phone or txt. and just so you know i have not ever called with this phone only txts and only to the wife. this uses tracfone service.

so will the apps i have in the back pages cause any issues if i do not open them up? if so what i will do is do another factory reset and only let google put back tinycam,freecell,greenify and not use the swifi being i will not be walking around the are with this for some time. or will those apps stay closed until i open them at least one time. and if any of those apps are giving me the trouble i will then narrow it down? i'm now back to using the lg aristo phone for everything and tracfone service as well and i have no issues with that phone ever. i used it for a year without issues but i did not like the apps sharing the sd card becasue the shared apps ran slow or not at all and then the aristo would always tell me i have no space.

that is why i went to the 32gb k20 plus phone. thanks for the help so far.

Upvote 0
so will the apps i have in the back pages cause any issues if i do not open them up?

When you enable Google's backup apps and settings, and if it was one of those settings that was the problem, then it will be restored and you'll still have the problem. If you do find that this didn't fix it, do a factory reset again, but this time load the apps one at a time and set them up fresh.

Upvote 0
When you enable Google's backup apps and settings, and if it was one of those settings that was the problem, then it will be restored and you'll still have the problem. If you do find that this didn't fix it, do a factory reset again, but this time load the apps one at a time and set them up fresh.
ok that is why i asked. i will do it again and turn off the backup and when i asks me to restore them i will not do it. and then let you all know what is going on as i start installing apps but this will take some time to finish. thanks alot for the help

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
ok what i did was use the phone to remove all the apps that had check marks on them when i went to the app section and held the page down and asked to remove apps then the page changed and has a ton with check marks so i figured these were installed by me. the only app i left was greenify freecell and tinycam app. i left freecell because it tool me almost a year to get to the play level and if i restore it i have to start over but if that app windes up being the issue i will remove it and not use it again. but it has been on my other phones and they are not having this issue. if this is not the way to insure they are not on the phone then i will do a factory restore but i'm guessing if the phone removes them they should be gone. thanks

Upvote 0
ok so far it is doing good with just 3 apps that are not what came with the phone. so what i'm doing is leaving the tinycam app running to see if this issue is time on. if it is then i should start seeing some symptoms in a week or so. i'm also cycling the apps so i use tinycam greenify and freecell so the phone gets some use. if i start seeing this problem again then it has to be the phone. when i reset the phone i just let it setup how it would do under normal settings. i only changes what an app said to change and i turned off swipe. i will post every now and then to keep updating so if anyone has ideas can help out. thanks

Upvote 0
ok i did not get anyhting yet going on but because i do not use this phone now that i have taken the sim out of it what i did was do a reflash of the factory program. i think this phone was a demp and being a demo it would mess up after a while so it had to be reset. if stolen it would mess up enough to cause the person with it to just get rid of it. i got it from ebay and that would be a good conduit to move a stolen phone. anyway i reflashed it and did a clean reset when it asked me if i want to restore my apps i said not and now i have some of them back. i will run with this not for a bit and see if it start doing it again. it should take like 2 or 3 months. the sim is back in and i now will use it as a phone again. if the problem returns then i will know for sure something is wrong and just peddle it as parts. and get another one from ebay. i will let you know how it goes as soon as i know for sure. thanks for the help so far.

Upvote 0
ok this is how it is going now. since the first of feb i found a program that let me get into this phones system and i re flashed the phone. and i have every app on it now that i had on it back then and it has not missed a beat so far. by june i will come back and let you all know if it has been running good since i re flashed it. thanks for the help bp.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones