• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root LG Leon MetroPCS Stock Firmware

That's the exploit we need to fix your phone. Basically you'll go through the root process again via download mode, then at the end I'll have you issue dd commands with the .img on your external (internal isn't large enough) and hopefully it works.

Thanks, It think the only issue I have now is that my phone doesn't show up when I run adb devices so I can't run the process again.

Reactions: Playaz
Upvote 0
I ****ing LOVE AND APPRECIATE ALL OF YOUR HARD WORK AND EFFORTS. This has been such an irritating issue. MetroPCS said I was ****ed and that's just not cool... How you can you let a new customer go without a device when it's technically legal to do what you want with your device? I cannot thank you enough guys... <3333333333333

Upvote 0
I can either:
  1. turn the phone on and sits on the metro pcs screen
  2. boot into download mode which goes straight into firmware update
  3. boot into hard reset but after yes , yes, it just restarts back to #1
None of these options mount the phone to my computer or allow me to access it with adb.exe
This is my issue exactly. I hate to say I'm glad you're in the same boat cause it's depressing really... but it helps us find a fix quicker <3

Upvote 0
I can either:
  1. turn the phone on and sits on the metro pcs screen
  2. boot into download mode which goes straight into firmware update
  3. boot into hard reset but after yes , yes, it just restarts back to #1
None of these options mount the phone to my computer or allow me to access it with adb.exe

Um.. That makes a huge difference. That means we have no unbrick because you need to have accepted the computer check.
You can restore everything but system.img because of that.

I'm sorry to tell you but unless they have released the other leons kdz's I think you're screwed.

Reactions: antonioblee1
Upvote 0
Well that is annoying. I will stick around to see if someone comes up with something but I have an old verizon s4 I guess I can call in and get switched over in the mean time. Thanks!
Okay I came up with something.

Download this to your computer
Code:
http://csmgdl.lgmobile.com/dn/downloader.dev?fileKey=FWECXHE032SUANPEC9C5WOO/H340n10c_00.kdz

Then follow this guide (don't download their firmware obviously)
Code:
http://androidforums.com/threads/unbrick-twogbsds-simple-unbrick-guide.864922/

It should work since we have the same boot structure and same soc. I think it's an Italian carrier. If it works (what do you have to lose?) We can get access to it, root it, and maybe we can get you a modem.bin to flash or something.

Reactions: mrmdc
Upvote 0
Followed the directions exactly. Got to 49%
ZxNJ3Mv.jpg

bdY0TJK.jpg

Then it got all dead.

Reactions: Playaz
Upvote 0
I have to reinstall windows as unfortunately my previous version got corrupted... Furthermore since I don't have a proper usb or a DVD R I am forced to install XP. I will go ahead and see what I am able to do, just been terribly busy. Would a virtual machine work just the same would you assume?

Upvote 0
Windows 8/windows 7 always has errors with lg software for some reason to me. will percentage still go up if you leave that last screen up?

I left the software running with the error screen up for about 20-30 minutes before I gave up and unplugged / pulled the battery on the whole thing. It just sat there at 49%

I can't test any of this, can anyone report their results?

I haven't tried it since my last attempt. If Win7/8 is a legit issue I was going to attempt some compatibility modes on the original method you proposed before I tried a patched stuff. I'm curious as well if a VM of xp might work as well.

I just sat down to work today (EST) but will give this a try again later this afternoon/evening.

Upvote 0
That's the exploit we need to fix your phone. Basically you'll go through the root process again via download mode, then at the end I'll have you issue dd commands with the .img on your external (internal isn't large enough) and hopefully it works.

I'm at work until 6 and am also in the process of moving but I assure you I will find some time.

Edit: here https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B49eSz3ZJIn0N2k3SFR3elI0aFE/edit?usp=docslist_api
This is boot.img
Put it at /sdcard
Go through the download mode root process all the way to the end. Youll see '#'
You may now input commands.
Use
Code:
dd if=/sdcard/boot of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot
To further help with this, instead of running the above command, run

Code:
dd if=/sdcard/boot.img of=/dev/block/platform/soc.0/by-name/boot

Upvote 0
So I have bricked my Leon and can only get the metro pcs screen. but found some info on a kdz file to extract and pack that type of file. Does the kdz file require the other files (as maybe the rest of the files from a similar spec phone be Used or Replaced with some dumped boot.img system.img) and flash it using the firmware updater.
This is my reads
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2666967
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2215929

Kind of new too this but will try since the phone is useless now

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones