• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LG Motion 4G Pattern Unlock Backup Code

djslakor

Jan 15, 2013
When configuring the unlock pattern, Android asks for a backup PIN code which is supposedly used after 5 incorrect unlock attempts. On my phone, this never occurs. I can try to unlock the pattern 100 times and it never asks me to enter a PIN code, reset via google account, nothing. Is the only way to solve this a hard reset?

Note: I am just testing features, I have not forgotten my pattern.

Don't know, however you should be aware that the pattern lock is so insecure it is essentially useless: basically, if you tilt the phone and look at the screen, most of the time you will see the pattern traced out in grease.

You should use the PIN or password for locking. Even face recognition (if you have that option) comes with a warning that it's not secure.

Upvote 0
Don't know, however you should be aware that the pattern lock is so insecure it is essentially useless: basically, if you tilt the phone and look at the screen, most of the time you will see the pattern traced out in grease.

You should use the PIN or password for locking. Even face recognition (if you have that option) comes with a warning that it's not secure.

I wonder if my brother could show his face for the camera and it unlocks for him, we look pretty alike.

Upvote 0
Definitely let me know what you find out, sammyz.

When you set the pattern lock, it does ask for a backup confirmation code, it just never actually uses it.

According to documentation I've stumbled across, it should ask for the backup confirmation code after 5 unsuccessful pattern unlocks. I tried 20 or 30 bad unlocks and it never asked for the backup PIN I set.

I also read in forums that you can set it to send some type of unlock override to your google account, that doesn't occur either.

So, so far, it seems the only way to get past the pattern lock screen if you forget it is to do a hard reset. If anything, that makes it more secure, so I don't mind ... just curious why it doesn't work as it seemingly should (i.e. wtf is the backup pin code used for?? :)).

Upvote 0
I've never used any pin or pattern lock screen before but I tried it out to see if u can help and mine works fine. I purposely put the wrong code like 6 times (not 5) and this shows up
ScreenShot_zpseb54cb67.png

After I press okay it looks like this.
ScreenShot_zps1b379e56.png

So I press the button on the bottom right [Forgot pattern?] and this pops up
ScreenShot_zps54252b42.png

I did however notice that its buggy. It will sometimes take up to 20 tries until I can use the backup pin and sometimes it just won't do it. I'll have to turn the screen off and turn it on and then it'll work.

Upvote 0
My LG Motion 4G does not behave this way after 5 unlock attempts, nor does it ever show the "Forgot Password" graphic at the bottom, it only shows the emergency call button.

Are you running LG Motion 4G Android 4.0.4?

This isn't a stupid mistake ... sortof hard to mess this one up. :)

Running stock odexed... Worked for me....

Upvote 0
That's so strange. My phone is stock as well. I can try the pattern unlock a solid 30 times unsuccessfully and it never asks for the backup pin that I set.

If I switch to using a pin code, after 5 invalid attempts it times out for 30 seconds, which seems to be proper behavior ... but on the pattern unlock, it just lets me try over and over again on the stock installation.

I don't see how I could be doing anything stupid or wrong on this one.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones