• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LG Motion in Boston?

daydreamingby

Oct 12, 2011
I'm planning on moving to Boston from Florida and wanted to know if any Boston users had some info about coverage, call quality and drops, and internet speed over there?

I'm in Boca Raton, and the coverage here is REALLY good compared to 3 years ago. I get good quality calls and no drops whatsoever here and around the cities north and south of here, and a solid 6MBps on 4GLTE, however I turn off $G to save battery and only use 3G because it has improved SO much that is good enough for youtube, and using Tunein Radio Pro or Pandora all day long on it.

I live about 30 miles south of Boston, and travel to Boston frequently. I can attest to the fact that the further you get from Boston the service is spotty (most people don't realize that MA is very rural outside of the hustle and bustle of the Boston/Brockton/Taunton/Worcester areas). The cell service in and around Boston is amazing, very fast, barely ever drops any calls or lags or anything like that. If you are going to be living in Boston specifically, you will be impressed with the speeds and coverage.

Here is the MetroPCS coverage map for the Boston area

Attachments

• coverage.png
    coverage.png
    453.8 KB · Views: 59
Reactions: HunnieBunnie
Upvote 0
I live about 30 miles south of Boston, and travel to Boston frequently. I can attest to the fact that the further you get from Boston the service is spotty (most people don't realize that MA is very rural outside of the hustle and bustle of the Boston/Brockton/Taunton/Worcester areas). The cell service in and around Boston is amazing, very fast, barely ever drops any calls or lags or anything like that. If you are going to be living in Boston specifically, you will be impressed with the speeds and coverage.

Here is the MetroPCS coverage map for the Boston area

Can I get a speedtest you guys up there have a weird spectrum setup

Upvote 0
I'm planning on moving to Boston from Florida and wanted to know if any Boston users had some info about coverage, call quality and drops, and internet speed over there?

I'm in Boca Raton, and the coverage here is REALLY good compared to 3 years ago. I get good quality calls and no drops whatsoever here and around the cities north and south of here, and a solid 6MBps on 4GLTE, however I turn off $G to save battery and only use 3G because it has improved SO much that is good enough for youtube, and using Tunein Radio Pro or Pandora all day long on it.

Your moving to where metro supports BYOD (bring your own device). If you want to, you could go into a metro corp store with a GSM phone (must be unlocked already) and have it put on Metro's GSM network which uses T-Mobile's network. You can also buy a GSM phone at the store, I recommend the L9 since the bootloader can be unlocked and BobZhome is working on ROMs for it (he's also from Boston ;) ) The L9 also has xda support for the T-Mobile variant, but a handful of people there flashed the MetroPCS firmware on it, xda may also support the MetroPCS version sooner or later. I'm sure tmobiles coverage is better than metro's :)

Upvote 0
Really good information from all of you guys!!!

I was thinking of reviving an old iPhone 3GS to Metro, but I would rather take advantage of the Motion 4G speeds from Metro since their speeds have improved greatly since 2011...

However, they have improved their speeds so much here in Florida, that I disabled 4G on my motion and only use 3G all day for Pandora, Tunein Radio, and light Youtube usage.

The reason I did that was mainly because of saving the battery, and because I was well enough on their 3G, which is nice :)

PS: I'll try and see if I get the same 3G speeds I get here there, and also if the antenna on that old iPhone 3GS is good enough for their 3G.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones