• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help LG Mytouch E739 rebooting automatically

Mine does that too occasionally. It usually means that there are too many background programs running. Try installing a task killer and something like fast reboot. Run those regularly and you should see a difference.
I am learning that the more advanced that the Android platforms are becoming the more like desktop PCs they are becoming... Which means that we are soon going to have to use utilities for defragmenting, etc...

Upvote 0
Mine does that too occasionally. It usually means that there are too many background programs running. Try installing a task killer and something like fast reboot. Run those regularly and you should see a difference.
I am learning that the more advanced that the Android platforms are becoming the more like desktop PCs they are becoming... Which means that we are soon going to have to use utilities for defragmenting, etc...

Do NOT use task killers. They are a throwback to the very early days of Android. Very rarely do apps need to be killed any more. There are many informative articles spread across all of the internets on this topic. Do yourself a favor and always research any advice you are given. This will help you in making an informed decision.

Upvote 0
Go into your settings menu then and look at how many of your apps are still running even AFTER you think you have exited them... Then come back and tell me whether or not you still need a task killer... Some of the better apps will terminate after you exit them, but some don't... The ones that don't will eventually build up and cause your phone to crash...

Upvote 0
Go into your settings menu then and look at how many of your apps are still running even AFTER you think you have exited them... Then come back and tell me whether or not you still need a task killer... Some of the better apps will terminate after you exit them, but some don't... The ones that don't will eventually build up and cause your phone to crash...

Do some research. Android manages its memory very efficiently. I don't use task killers and my phone does not crash. There are many reasons to NOT use killers. They create more problems. Google is your friend, use it.

Upvote 0
Android apps don't "terminate" after you exit them (like iOS does, for example), they pause. This makes re-entering the app later significantly faster. From Android 2.0 (Eclair) onwards Android has used memory very efficiently. Prior to Eclair, task killers were required, as apps would continually run and slow down the phone. Task killers are a throwback to that time several years ago. These days, when task killers are used, they kill ALL tasks which requires that all of the system tasks then have to reload into RAM and run, draining your battery unnecessarily. This also means that your weather widgets stop working, your live wallpaper stop and so on...
Here is some interesting information on the problems with task killers
phandroid.com/2011/06/16/android-psa-stop-using-task-killer-apps-now/

Instead of using task killers, try using Watchdog. In the cases of having poorly coded apps on your phone which can cause problems, Watchdog can identify these problem apps so that you can then uninstall them. This is far more effective than the use of task killers. If you don't want to pay for apps, there is even a "lite" version. More info here-
http://www.tested.com/news/how-to/923-android-task-killers-are-deadheres-what-you-should-be-doing/

Also it should be known that in the Android OS, empty RAM is wasted RAM. When Android needs RAM it kills the oldest cached apps that are not actually running, but are instead sitting idle (or paused) in the background. If you are constantly killing apps to free up RAM, what is the point of having 512Mb of RAM?

If Android tells you that it is low on space, that is referring to your storage space, which is NOT the same thing as RAM. This is when you would move apps to your SD card or uninstall them if you don't use them.

With regards to the bloatware that is on the stock T-mo ROM, the use of Titanium Backup allows a rooted user to not only back up their apps (this is quite useful when changing ROMs), it also allows a used to "freeze" apps such as the bloatware on the stock ROM (although this is only available on the paid version).
There is more information about this here
http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/how-to-use-titanium-backup-for-android-complete-guide/

Hopefully this will help clear up a lot of the common misinformation that is prevalent in the Android community and always remember, Google is your friend!
Research every claim that people make so that you can make yourself as informed as possible. This is the only way to stop the misinformation.

Reactions: downeaststudio
Upvote 0
Ok, so I just checked out that app. Even the programmer advertises it as a task killer, so what's the difference between this and other task managers?

Pls reread the developers Market page - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zomut.watchdog&hl=en
"Watch your phone's apps, don't kill them."

The main point of Watchdog is to monitor your apps as is clearly stated in the first line of this article - Watchdog Task Manager Lite - Android app on AppBrain

By observing Watchdog, you will be able to see that an app you have exited is still in RAM, which is normal, but if it continues to use CPU and bogs down your system, that is an indicator of a poorly coded app. If you find you do have to kill a certain app due to it using excessive CPU when not in use then you should probably uninstall that app & find an alternative. That is the only time an app should be killed.

The primary point of Watchdog is observation, to determine if an app is a problem, as opposed to killing apps left right & center without any rhyme or reason. You can set it up so that it notifies you if an app goes over your predetermined limits so that appropriate action can be taken.

Upvote 0

Android does not need defrag. Depending on your ROM there are 2-3 reasons for this.

1. Android is a Linux file system. Linux does not need to be defragged.
2. The ext SD cards used in Android phones are solid state, not a spinning disc. This means the access times are not dependent on the position of the head over the spinning disc.
3. The MTP mounting used in Android 3.0 (Honeycomb) onwards does not give a connected computer full access to the SD card, hence a defrag would be impossible for Honeycomb (3.0), ICS (4.0.x) and subsequent Android ROMs.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones