1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

LG Optimus and barcode scanner

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by mrbeankc, Mar 14, 2012.

1. mrbeankc

mrbeankc Newbie
    None

Mar 14, 2012
    Just got an LG Optimus and have had fun learning over the weekend how to use it and downloading some useful apps for it. One of the apps I was looking forward to using was barcode scanner. The problem it seems is that after the last update for the app it no longer works on Optimus phones or at least that's what I've read. I've tried it and I just get a black screen which it seems is what Optimus users are getting on it now.

So I was wondering if there was another barcode scanner clone out there that might do the job for me?

Advertisement

2. tcat007

tcat007 Android Expert
    None

Jan 31, 2011
    Texas
    That's been a problem for a while, surprised the developer hasn't fixed it yet.

http://androidforums.com/android-ap...goes-black-screen-optimus-v-after-update.html

From developer's site:
    I see only a black screen on my LG Optimus series device

These devices appear to have a bug wherein selecting any preview size that the device says it supports that does not match the screen size results in no camera display. The app chooses a higher resolution for better scanning. It has been confirmed as a device problem. A future version may include a workaround option for these devices, to force it to use screen size preview only

You can always return to the previous version by uninstalling your copy, and installing version 3.72 from this link: BarcodeScanner3.72.apk - zxing - Barcode Scanner 3.72 for Android - Multi-format 1D/2D barcode image processing library with clients for Android, Java - Google Project Hosting
    Or, you install a debug build of the next version which will work around this problem on the Optimus, by forcing it to use lower resolution: BarcodeScanner-debug.apk - zxing - Barcode Scanner 4.1 beta 1 for Android - Multi-format 1D/2D barcode image processing library with clients for Android, Java - Google Project Hosting
    Note that version 1.4 of Barcode Scanner+ released on Market already contains this same work-around.