1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

LG Optimus M OVERHEAT??

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Subzero79, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Subzero79

Subzero79 Newbie

Hello all, I am not sure if anyone has had this problem..

I purchased my Optimus M in November in NYC when it first came out and after several weeks I felt the phone would overheat to the point where I started gettin pain in my hands and arms like I had arthritis.. mind you i am 29 with no health problems..even a rubber phone cover did not really help. I reside in philadelphia but managed to get back to the store and the jerks at the store would not give me a refund because i was over 100 minutes. The same jerk also told me that this phone would be 4g compatible once the network switched over which I now learned is not the case. I am still using the phone cause like an idiot i paid the money for it.. Does anyone any recourse for this?
    I dont consider myself to be paranoid but this issue is really bothering me especially that metro and lg dont seem to give an F. Is there any program or anything to test radiation or the sort coming from the phone?

Another issue I have with the phone is that I cant use the call function without keeping it on speaker phone or the screen goes blank and then I have to literally remove the battery and start it again...
    Any help would be greatly appreciated...

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Muilisx

Muilisx Android Expert

Sounds like a defected phone

3. Aplus

Aplus Android Enthusiast

Not sure about the overheating. But, your other problem sounds like you have the original scratch guard on the phone.

4. UKCatFan

UKCatFan Android Expert

Instead of repeating it all here, take a look at a couple threads I started as I had a similar but not exact problem. Metro replaced my phone for me. One question, was the place you went an authorized dealer or an actual company store? Only a company store will help you with problems. The authorized dealers will just blow you off and tell you tough luck.

http://androidforums.com/lg-optimus-m/262351-screen-going-crazy-update.html

http://androidforums.com/lg-optimus-m/264884-lg-home-question.html

5. Muilisx

Muilisx Android Expert

indeed....when i bought my ascend and had a issue, I was told to go to a corporate store...rofl

6. kanaida

kanaida Android Expert

It's probably a defective battery. I'd be careful, if they get too hot some actually explode like the kid that died with some kind of phone in his shirt pocket somewhere in china. This is very rare of course, but heat is a valid concern.

I say that because the battery generates most of the heat, and I've had mine for a while now and I can tell you it's not like most other metro phones I had that get too hot to talk on after talking shit for like an hour.

7. Silvist

Silvist Android Enthusiast

In case you didn't know, all phones include a 1 year limited warrant. Long as you did physically damage it, you should have no problems swapping it out. So if you can get yourself out to a metro corp store, get it swapped out. If you want to find the nearest location of a CORP store, non dealer, go metropcs.com and locate stores. If that's not possible you could talk to LG, though that would be a much longer process.

If you go through metro they do charge $10 to swap out the phone. But hey its better than having a fireplace instead of a cell phone lol.

8. Subzero79

Subzero79 Newbie

Thanks alot everyone!

9. richiedaze

richiedaze Well-Known Member

You should check your running processes. Many apks on the market are poorly made, they continue to run even when not being used, burning up your ram and putting stress on your cpu. Thats why the back of the phone where the processor is located it hot. Usually live widgets are the ones constantly running in the background constantly checking for new updates to refresh the widget.

This problem is considered normal on Android phones, especially when the cpu is overclocked...

10. septembersrain

septembersrain 句_句 Smurfing Awesome

I had to make sure my location was on E911 only. For some odd reason leaving it with Location on made it become very hot and it started being buggy (Slow app time, Etc). After putting it on E911 and restarting it, It resumed normal temperature. Not sure if this is common or not but, I've tried leaving the location on twice. Both times resulting in it becoming very heated....I also agree with the above poster. You need to make sure you check your running applications, Stop ones you know you do not need. (Be careful though)

11. Rufus2000

Rufus2000 Lurker

I am so glad you posted this. I just bought my LG Optimus and the first time I picked it up, while it was charging, my whole arm instantly hurt. Trying to convince myself I was imagining things, I began to use the phone. I get a hot headache every time I hold the phone.
    I am going to return this one. I hope it is broken. I can't believe that a phone that is obviously a health risk can make it market. This is so frustrating. I got it for free and it is just the phone I wanted.

12. reilus

reilus Android Enthusiast

However, the part that applies to you is that you can exchange your phone at a metro pcs location--they should have a main office somewhere near you. They give you up to 30 days to do it.

You can also get 1 year replacement with LG. However, when I first got my phone I noticed it was getting really hot too. Much data was syncing in the background. I went in and turned off all my stuff, only allowing contacts to sync. Also, you might have other apps trying to do some stuff in the background.

As an aside, every MetroPCS reseller I met was a jerk. There was nothing wrong with my phone, but I thought there was because the proximity censor kept turning the screen off. The jerk told me to take it to the warranty center because it was "so defective that he could not get in to see if I had 100 minutes or more". Well, I got a refurbished phone--which pisses me off.

These clowns didn't even know about the proximity censor deal, so they switched me out with 15 phones before I found out that its a defect in the phone. Then some jackass tried to tell me it was a *feature* of the phone!

I told that douche bag that it is not called a feature when it interrupts the regular functioning of the phone. He just stood there and looked pretty sheepish and didn't know what to say. These clowns are prime for a job with TSA--the place where all the fast-food rejects can get a job.

13. reilus

reilus Android Enthusiast

You're kidding, right? Sad that I can be forgiven for asking.

14. lyubimov

lyubimov Newbie

Hi! I am getting the same problem - sometimes it gets hot, especially when it is charging. So I am still not sure how serious is that. Should I replace it or not...

Little off topic:
    Just wanted to mention that guy at the store is a complete IDIOT!!! I swear to god. He messes me up all the time I am there.
    First of all he obviously has a problem understanding English I can't even explain him my problem properly.
    Then, when I was buying the phone he messed up all of its specs (like he said it doesn't have a camera and stuff like that).
    Also he made it sound like he gave me 2gb sd card just because he is so kind and wants his customers happy, but IT IS INCLUDED with the phone.
    Then he even forgot to give me the box with accessories as well as mail rebate form. There's actually much more, I just don't want to write it all down here.
    Seriously I have no idea how such a stupid ass like him can work there??? He just pisses me off.
    In fact, I am wondering if I could write a complaint on him? Do I need to go to the store and do it there or call Metro PCS... not sure how it works. I am really a nice guy and I have never actually done anything like that, but its just ridiculous how such a jerk can work in the store.

15. Darnell0216

Darnell0216 Android Expert

Either complain where he works or go to your local Corporate store and see if they'll let you do it there or tell you call it in.

As for the overheating, if it feels hotter than phones usually get while charging, I'd show some concern. If you recently purchased it, take it back when the idiot is off duty or go to Corporate and let them know the problem.

16. lyubimov

lyubimov Newbie

It seems he's always there, so I told him I have a problem except overheating, it might be service related though: my phone keeps hanging up while I am talking (not very often but still...) so I have to call back, usually it happens when I call overseas. I doubt its phone related, even though I didn't have nothing like that with my previous metro pcs phone. So he said he can not do anything (he didn't even understand me, he thought I am talking about "shutting off" not "hanging up" I couldn't even explain the problem to him) and I have to go to corporate store for the technician to check it which I am planning to do.

Well right now its charging and the battery temperature is 36 Celsius and I have seen it's higher. I had bunch of phones neither one of them got that hot.

Thank you for your reply.