• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root LG Optimus M Rooted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChazzMatt

Android Enthusiast
Nov 29, 2010
metro Atlanta area
This was posted in another thread, but I'm copying and pasting it here. :D

Seems like a good post to kick off the LG OPTIMUS M subfolder!

I just got a new LG Optimus M about a week ago. This is my first android phone.

I downloaded z4Root in the android market and it said the root was successful and installed the superuser manager app.

How do I test that the phone is Actually rooted? I'm trying to remove all the bloatware apps that MetroPCS has included in the phone.

I downloaded the app named Android Mate (free) and it lets be browse to the /system/app directory and when I select the app and choose delete, it displays a notification that the file was deleted however it never actually gets removed.

============

OK, after installing Root Explorer and mounting the /system/app directory with read/write access I was able to remove all the bloatware.

Yep, well I got the phone last Tuesday by finding an "authorized dealer" that would sell it to me without making me come in on friday or saturday durring the crazyness of black friday shoppers. We got two of them and so far they have been great.

This is my first android phone so I wont be of much help as far at compairing other android phones to this one.

I used to have an iphone 3G and 3Gs before switching over to metroPCS, I still have an iPad to keep me up to date with the latests iOS updates and have made a few iPhone/iPad apps that are in the apps store. With this new android phone I may end up making some android apps, depending on how much free time I have this year.

Back to the phone, the screen size is pretty close to what I was used to with my iPhone, its not one of those huge jumbo screens that saw with the HTC android phones on display at places like t-mobile and Sprint.

The phone has a sticker on the back that says "Qualcomm 3G"However in my area the phone has only shown the X1 indicator up on the menubar. I dont know if this is because MetroPCS is not currently supporting the 3G or if its just not in my area.

I performed a speedtest with he app: speedtest.net and got the following results:
130kbps up
324kbps down

The speeds are not supper fast however its acceptible. Plus you have the option of connecting to wifi if you need to.

this is hands down the best phone available to metroPCS, The 4G phone doesnt even have anything compaired to this. The new 4G craft or what ever its called that is coming out is not a true smartphone like this one is.

All I can say is that I am super happy with this phone and the low monthly bill that I have from metro.

The phone is very responsive, no lagging or jitters like I was affraid there would be.

Camera is good, here is a picture I took with phones camera. http://lh4.ggpht.com/_kCkDPrMyGPs/TPPr5KekJeI/AAAAAAAACk0/izQ47FdN8pQ/s800/112710150832.jpg
also the auto fucus on the camera is great for the barcode scanning apps.

battery life lasts me probably about 75%-85% of my day before I have to recharge it. This should get better over time after I stop playing with it ALL DAY LONG.

the phone comes with a 2GB micro SD memory card, I purchased an 8GB one from target on black friday for $14.

Rooting the phone was very simple. The app in the android market named z4Root worked with the Optimus M both rooting and unrooting. It was just a click of a button and the rooting was done.

One REALLY big downside to this phone that makes me mad is that this phone is loaded full of bloatware. Its got a ton of metroPCS apps loaded on it that are useless, and the bad thing is that you cant remove or unistall the metroPCS apps. There are 3 in particular that were starting to drive me crazy. MetroPCS Easy Wifi, Boingo Wifi, and My Extras. The my extras app randomly just pops up advertisments on the screen, while the other two wifi apps constantly display notifications and play the alert sound when you get in range of any wifi. The metoPCS apps both cant be removed or turned off unless you root the phone and manualy remove the files.

On top of that they incluse the MetroPCS app store where you can download all the apps that come with the phone and cant be removed. Sorry but If I cant remove the apps why would I need to download them agian?

One last thing, I have now become addicted to the app called ShopKick. You walk into stores and get points for both just walking in and also for scanning products in the store with your phone. If you want to give it a try send me a MSG and you can use my referal code so we both get a free 100 points (i dont want to post it on her as some will see it as spam)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones