1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

LG Optimus S vs Samsung Intercept

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bkmollen, Dec 20, 2010.

1. sonicbluemustang

sonicbluemustang Android Enthusiast

I was researching the Intercept for my daughter and realized it does not offer 3g Hotspot. :(

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Carlos3686

Carlos3686 Lurker

Virgin Mobile is Sprint Owned and all of it's customers use the Sprint Network

3. Carlos3686

Carlos3686 Lurker

The Samsung Intercept may seem like a lazy dog. But Frankly I find that to be a matter of opinion and not actual fact. I have had the exact opposite experience with the Intercept. I find my Intercept to be as responsive as i need it to be. Not to mention its sleek and sexeh look and feel. The Lg Optimus V looks and feels like a fraking paper-weight to me. Its so not sexeh. Plus Virgin Mobile has plans to update The Intercept to Android 2.2 Froyo which should also serve to dramatically speed up the interface operations putting it on par and probably above the Virgin Mobile version of the LG Optimus V.

4. NYdroid33

NYdroid33 Member

haha its amazing how quickly people are to snap at you... notice how he didnt respond, hes probably too embaressed after spending an hour typing up that long sarcastic response to come back to this thread. I bet he felt so proud after posting that

5. NYdroid33

NYdroid33 Member

Correction: can never get what you really want from Sprint.

You either settle for mid grade phones that have nice features but are also missing nice features or you fork over the extra $10 a month for a 4g phone that doesnt even have 4g service yet. Im suprised no class action lawsuits have been filed yet. Its amazing how they charge all these people an extra $10 a month just to own a nice phone with all the features you want. Just one more reason on top of many others to jump ship to verizon...

6. CarrieK

CarrieK Android Expert

I've done a comparison and based on my own situation it is cheaper for me to remain with Sprint even with the changes. We've been happy with their coverage in our area, customer service, and with our phones (we have an EVO and 2 Optimi ;) ) Of course, once contract renewal time comes up, we may have to eliminate a line, but that would be true regardless of which carrier we chose.

7. apinkel

apinkel Android Enthusiast

I hated to see the across the board smartphone plan price increase, BUT... I get the same coverage as verizon (since sprint has a roaming agreement with them) for a lot less money (in my case).

For 69 I get essentially unlimited everything (since the majority of my phone calls are mobile to mobile). I looked at verizon and I could get a 450 min phone plan and data for 69... that didn't include text messaging, nights started at 9 instead of 7 and it didn't have unlimited mobile to mobile. On top of that my work has a secure email/calendar server that required an additional $15/mo on verizon. The cost difference for me between verizon and sprint would have been around $500 over 2 years... and I would have had to watch my text and phone minutes like a hawk.

8. peterbrown77

peterbrown77 Newbie

I had in Intercept (on VM, 3 of them for my family). We took them all back last night and got Optimus V's (Identical to the S). The difference is night and day! The Opti boots in 35 seconds, not 3 minutes, no lag, a very nice piece indeed. I had paid $249 each for the Intercepts, so I also got back $300.

9. bcojoe

bcojoe Lurker

Getting the wifi hotspot on the Optimus V is a simple matter of downloading the Quick Settings app (free). The wifi hotspot feature is on the phone out of the box, it's just been removed from the menu choices by Virgin Mobile. Quick Settings simply allows you to open it even though it's "hidden". I'd imagine it's the same on the Intercept, but you'll just have to try it for yourself.

10. bcojoe

bcojoe Lurker

To be more precise, Virgin Mobile (and Boost Mobile) use the NON-ROAMING Sprint network. Anywhere that you'd be (seamlessly, so you might not even know it) roaming on a Sprint phone, you'd be without service on a VM or BM phone.

11. maclifer

maclifer Lurker

My understanding is that Virgin Mobile USA is not owned by Sprint; they just use Sprint's network for all service in the United States. VM USA is a subsidiary of the Virgin group, no?

If they're owned by Sprint that would be very interesting... :)

12. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Android Enthusiast

Optimus = EVDO Rev A
    Intercept = EVDO Rev 0.

Just one of the many downsides to the Intercept.

13. grabnar82

grabnar82 Lurker

they are

Virgin Mobile USA

"Welcome to the Virgin Mobile USA Media Center for use by journalists and researchers. Virgin Mobile USA is one of Sprint's prepaid brands."

14. arashed31

arashed31 Newbie

All of Samsung's midrange to low end Android phones are in their own class of pure crap. Trust me, I've owned almost all of them.

LG Optimus One Forum

The LG Optimus One release date was October 2010. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 3MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

October 2010
Release Date
Reviews