1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support LG Optimus V not rooted, stuck in boot loop

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by beezus, Jul 14, 2011.

1. beezus

beezus Lurker
    None

May 24, 2011
    I'll keep this short and sweet. LG Optimus V, had it for about 2 months, never rooted or altered in any way. The phone was dying, so I plugged it into my laptop. Went to unplug it, the phone was flashing black LG loading screen on and off. I unplugged it, it was fine. Later, phone dies, so I plug it into the wall outlet (using original charger) and it flashes LG screen again with flashing buttons. Will not go into recovery mode. Will go into Emergency Mode, but that's about it. Flash lasts about a second before looping again. When trying to go into recovery mode, flash lasts a second or two longer. Also will not charge. Called LG, completely no help. Any suggestions? I'm desperate at this point. I've been researching for two weeks now and can't find any story similar to mine, and I'm to the point where I really just want to throw this phone out of a window.

Advertisement

2. mkbkr1

mkbkr1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 15, 2011
    Sunset, Louisiana
    Call VM and talk to them. They are usually pretty good about replacing a defective phone. Normally takes about a week to get your new phone shipped to you.

3. puffidredz

puffidredz Lurker
    None

Oct 24, 2010
    woke up this morning and mine is doing the exact same thing your's is. i had it charging last night, woke up, saw it was on android splash unplugged it and now the phone doesnt stay powered on in either recovery mode and when i try to go to regular mode, it starts to load the home screen then shuts off again. if i dont have the charger plugged in, it doesnt even power on. no lights. no nothing.

my phone is rooted with custom rom but i dont think this has anything to do with it because the phone doesnt power on unless i have the charger attached. i dread calling VM for anything. i did manage to get the phone to stay on for a while in home screen but it only lasted about 10min before shutting off again and doing the whole boot loop dance again. i did notice however that altho i had the phone charging last night, the battery still shows dead as if i left it off the charger all night when i hadn't.

btw u can get it in recovery mode by holding down home+vol down+power first, and then plug in the charger cable. if u plug it in before then it will jus carry u thru the whole loop all over again. i've googled this problem and i've come across a few people who have this same problem when rooted with custom rom or stock unrooted rom. i honestly think its a defect in the craftmanship of the phone regarding the power.

currently the phone stuck in that loop again so i've put it in recovery mode and i'm just going to let it sit there and try and charge. while the phone was cold this morning it now feels warm so i think its actually trying to charge now.

i think the moral to the story with these LG Optimus is you can never let the battery fully die or discharge ever. they have a hard time coming back up. As soon as you get the charge battery warning, it's best to do it or turn the phone off completely until you can or this is what happens.

4. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus
    None

May 13, 2011
    Laborer (all the dirty nasty work nobody else want
    Florida
    Have you tried a fresh battery. Or charge that battery up with a friends phone,to see if it's the battery that's defective.

5. truetoit

truetoit Lurker
    None

Jul 9, 2011
    Just wanna say....I love this forum. :D
    My phone fizzled out on me this afternoon. I was freaking out.
    I just figured out what was wrong with my phone because of this thread.
    The vol+home+pwr button thing...GENIUS!
    Was about to go totally ninja on someone.
    Thanks for the help, peeps!

6. mc40638

mc40638 Lurker
    None

Jul 22, 2011
    Hi. I am a New Member, and searching this forum earlier today taught me how to hard reboot my phone. Of course that caused a factory reset.

I do not think this is a problem with the Optimus (P-990 - LG Optimus 2X in Europe, 'LG G2x in the US).

This is my hypothesis and I honestly do not want to experiment to test it.

My phone was low in charge so I went to replace the battery with a spare. I was careless and was working quickly and I bet I shorted the contacts in the Optimus when I placed the battery in the first time.

I am not surprised this corrupted by EEPROM (or whatever is used for erasable non-voltile memory [internal SD in Android terms] thus preventing my phone from booting. A hard reset probably involves rewriting to the EEPROM a data from the ROM essentially reloading the operating system and the default applications. Fortunately my phone remained unlocked (T-Mobile provided me with the unlock code).

I had backed up my apps and gmail provided me with a backup of my contacts. A bit tough since I had to wipe and reformat my external SD since it got corrupted, and I could not restore apps until this was done. The OS complained about not enough disk space.

I started to wonder why GOOGLE did not backup automatically the entire phone (OS, etc) into an image which was maintained on google servers as is gmail.

This is not a technical problem. Certainly an image could be stored and used to restore a phone. Aside from the fact that application data may included username and passwords which could be compromised, I think the big deal is this. If someone were to hack the stored OS on the google servers, they could potentially get all the data from your phone when this hacked OS is installed. I suspect security is the motivation behind the poor synchronization provided by google, but that is only a guess.

Tags: