• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help LG Optimus V phone, media question

gordong11

Lurker
Feb 17, 2011
Hi all, new here, great site!!

I just got an LG Optimus V, running andriod 2.2, and I love it. It only came with a 2GB micro-SD card though, and I like to download/watch videos on it.

I want to upgrade the micro-SD card to 8GB or 16GB, but I'm unsure which to buy....

Will a Micro-SDHC work with the phone? and is it better than a Micro-SD card? and should I get the highest class(2,4,6 or 10) possible? will the higher class make a difference in playing videos? the user manual says nothing about the type of card to use if replacing.

I noticed SDHC cards come in class 6 and 10, so I'm guessing they are a better performing card than a standard Micro-SD.

Thanks for the advice

Gord

Added: btw i love this phone, Android is awesome!! its my first Android device. For $140 and $25/month(no contract from Virgin, unlimited data,txt,nav w/300 anytime mins), this phone is the bargain of the century. Has wifi, 3G, and nav too.

Will a Micro-SDHC work with the phone?

Any.

and is it better than a Micro-SD card?

SDHC cards are just higher capacity.

and should I get the highest class(2,4,6 or 10) possible?

I would. The higher the class the faster it will be.

will the higher class make a difference in playing videos?

higher bitrate videos, yes.

Reactions: jdjamm
Upvote 0
For the record, the camcorder app records video at 2000kbps, and the phone is shipped with a Class 2 card, so it has to be able to handle that. I have a Class 10 Wintec 16GB Micro SDHC card and for playing back videos recorded at 512kbps video and 64kbps audio and I see no appreciable difference in the playback of the Class 2 vs. the Class 10, and I have been running tests since the day I got the phone.

The only difference I see is when I transfer files to the card, the Class 10 card can be written to faster. The differences are minimal enough to me that I ordered a 32GB Class 2 Sandisk card to replace my 16 when I wanted more capacity.

I have a Palm Treo 700p that needs a Class 4 card to get full video playback performance with H264 MP4 video files, but I haven't found the same to be true with the Optimus V....to my surprise.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones