1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support LG Optimus V - Virgin Mobile (Five questions)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Chieve, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Chieve

Chieve Lurker
    None

Jul 15, 2011
    I just received and activated this phone yesterday! :)

I have a few questions though...

My phone is having trouble locating me with the GPS feature and putting up the weather for my location...how do I fix that?

I don't seem to get internet with a cell phone signal...not with 1...2...3...or even 4 bars...and I can't use my browser or youtube. Is this phone able to get internet when you're not at a wifi poin or hotspot, or no?

I have 2 more Actibation buttons...I used the one on my home screen, but there is one on my Application screen and Settings>About Phone area it still says "Activate Phone," and if I click them they still go to Activate even though it is already activated...

How do I cancel a text from sending, and is there a way I can see when the person sent the text? My last phone would tell me when the person sent me a text, and when I received a text.

Thanks!

PS

My mom said I can't get internet without wifi here because we don't get good reception...but when I went down the street and got three or four bars, it was fine. I was still able to text and make phone calls too.

Sorry one more question, my friend sent me a text, and it has the "Download" button on it, but when I click it when I have service it says, "Currently unable to download. Please try again later."

Advertisement

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    **moved to LG Optimus V Forum**

3. pastafarian

pastafarian Pâtes avec votre foie
    None

Nov 4, 2009
    Sales
    The Sea of Tranquility
    I'm moving this to the optimus v section.

well, I would have if someone hadn't got there first.

4. Chieve

Chieve Lurker
    None

Jul 15, 2011
    Thank you! Sorry I am new...so I thought I should post it here lol

5. tcat007

tcat007 Android Expert
    None

Jan 31, 2011
    Texas
    See below:

6. Chieve

Chieve Lurker
    None

Jul 15, 2011
    Thank you!

I am still having trouble downloading the message even after checking my settings and resetting everything...

Same for the internet browser without wifi...I turned on and off airplane mode...I rebooted the SD card and I turned off and on Mobile Networks>Data Enabled

7. koopakid08

koopakid08 Android Expert
    None

Mar 14, 2011
    Behind you
    Sounds like you activated it funny. Call up Virgin Mobile and explain your problem to them

8. cutterjohn

cutterjohn Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 29, 2011
    You MIGHT even be able to find a spot on your property where you can get better signal... try walking around different areas as mine varied WILDLY here, e.g. got best reception in the kitchen and worst in one of the bedrooms, but best overall outside :D

Text messages only rely on voice connection and doesn't need data(3G/WiFi) for text only messaging(SMS). If you want to send pix or movies or something(MMS) then you'll need data: 3G/WiFi.

SMS uses sidebands on the voice carrier IIRC that used to be used for some control signals, but I really don't recall the details so I'll stop here as it's not even really that important. (It also helps to explain why text messages are limited in length... although it seems that newer messaging programs(maybe the protocol?) have added the ability to break larger messages seamlessly into SMS manageable chunks then re-assemble them as a signle message... I'm guessing on this one but it's reasonable.)

Both of those activate apps do the same thing and one on the phone "home" screen is IIRC just a link to the one in the apps drawer. i.e. if you go to the apps drawer and long press an app icon it will "detach" and you'll go to the current "home" screen and you can drop the icon somewhere there, so now you can hit that icon instead of opening the app drawer scrolling through to the app and tapping it. You can get rid of shortcuts on the home screen by long pressing them then dragging them to the trash icon that appears. (I think that all of this stuff is in the manual... I didn't really read it though as I had already learned all of this by trial and error with other Android devices that had crappy or no manuals...)

You can also put folders on the home screens by long pressing an empty spot, you'll get a menu of things.

For alot of the things you want, I'd strongly suggest finding the post with a link to the most recent PDF manual for the OV. IIRC it looked fairly decent and was MUCH more indepth than the short printed manual that came with the phone... might also want to google up a decent Android tips-and-tricksks page/discussion/etc. as long as it's froyo(or eclair to a certain extent) it'll pretty much be applicable to any 2.2(froyo) device barring device specific customizations/GUI overlays...

Tags: