• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Lg revolution / first basic impressions

I don't think it's possible, due to the carrier. AT&T is the only one that allows that for 3G. But i'll give it a go when i get a chance, phone is in the car, i'm at work until midnight.

However, this is a capability on 4G.

Im asking because the Thunderbolt is capable of this due to having an SVDO modem. was wondering if this got into the Revolution

Upvote 0
Im asking because the Thunderbolt is capable of this due to having an SVDO modem. was wondering if this got into the Revolution

Revolution, as suspected is unable to surf/download from the market when in a call on 3G, as the TB is able to do.

The Revo however, will be able to make calls over 4G, VoLTE, thus being able to surf at the same time, whereas the TB does not have this feature. Dunno if a software/firmware (Radio) upgrade would change this.

Upvote 0
I tried the 3G voice and data simultaneous on the LG Revo, no joy. I do not believe the 4G VoLTE is ready for prime time yet. The issue will be with the 4G to 3G hand off in the future to preclude dropped calls. VZW plans to force you one way or the other, if you are on a 4G system, the hand-off will occur between towers, same if you are on a 3G system, the problem will happen when you are transitioning out of a 4G area.

Upvote 0
I tried the 3G voice and data simultaneous on the LG Revo, no joy. I do not believe the 4G VoLTE is ready for prime time yet. The issue will be with the 4G to 3G hand off in the future to preclude dropped calls. VZW plans to force you one way or the other, if you are on a 4G system, the hand-off will occur between towers, same if you are on a 3G system, the problem will happen when you are transitioning out of a 4G area.

Sorry l am a little confused. So at the moment we should not be able to make calls and use data/surf the web over 4g?

Upvote 0
The way the LG Revo and Samsung Droid Charge do Voice and Data simultaneously is using both radios, CDMA (Voice) and LTE (Data), that is only if you are in a 4G area. From my research and owning both phones, they cannot do voice and data in a 3G area.

The LG Revo has future capabilty to do Voice over LTE (VoLTE) as proven during the 2011 CES, this is like doing VOIP at home. This is the future of 4G. So the Revo will use one LTE radio to package voice/data simultaneously, if that makes sense, kind of future proof. I am sure this will reduce the need for 2 radios at some point and shrink the size of form factor used in 4G smartphones and hopefully extend battery life.

The TB can do voice and data in both 3G and 4G area. It uses a SVDO (3G Voice/Data Modem) radio for 3G areas and a combo of SVDO (Voice) and LTE (Data) radio in a 4G area. The TB is not VoLTE ready and cannot be updated to my knowledge.

Upvote 0
The way the LG Revo and Samsung Droid Charge do Voice and Data simultaneously is using both radios, CDMA (Voice) and LTE (Data), that is only if you are in a 4G area. From my research and owning both phones, they cannot do voice and data in a 3G area.

The LG Revo has future capabilty to do Voice over LTE (VoLTE) as proven during the 2011 CES, this is like doing VOIP at home. This is the future of 4G. So the Revo will use one LTE radio to package voice/data simultaneously, if that makes sense, kind of future proof. I am sure this will reduce the need for 2 radios at some point and shrink the size of form factor used in 4G smartphones and hopefully extend battery life.

The TB can do voice and data in both 3G and 4G area. It uses a SVDO (3G Voice/Data Modem) radio for 3G areas and a combo of SVDO (Voice) and LTE (Data) radio in a 4G area. The TB is not VoLTE ready and cannot be updated to my knowledge.

oh ok because I am in a 4g area and I was on the phone and the web at the same time, but it was using CDMA for the call and LTE for the web. Ok thanks for clarifying

Upvote 0
I just installed Beautiful Widgets per Stetsons advice, checked the battery draw, minimal... Really digging that. After 3+ days, I am thinking this phone is the best VZW has to offer-Today. The Display really is gorgeous, not as much as the Samsung Charge, but in a different way. Very bright, warm, and easy on the eyes type of display. The crispness of the screen transitions really makes it a joy to manipulate. Very responsive processor.

I think the only phone one may want to hold out for would be the Beast: Samsung Galaxy S II, if VZW can get it, and if it is 4G (Doubt it will be 4G)... Something is holding back the Bionic as well, wish we knew more.

I think LG has a winner here. I never got 4 and 5 bars at home on a 3G connection, with the LG Revolution it is consistent. I don't like Bing, I think that is my chief complaint, but there are ways to minimize or remove this bloat. The 5MP camera is a non-issue in my book, Netflix Rocks, My movies rock! After 4 hours on wifi and 3G, I am at 80% battery, emailing, downloading apps, and browsing to add some context for everyone.

Hopefully I am not boring everyone, but I think the info really needs to get out there for the consumer to make wise informed decisions. Too often at VZW the sales staff does not get the training to inform the buyer properly. I think sometimes the way phones are released wantonly, they have a hard time preparing for the questions that come up.

So if you want a 4G phone, want to lock into that unlimited data plan and have a semi-future proof smartphone (VoLTE), the LG Revolution is an exceptional option to consider. That is my impression as of Sunday.

Upvote 0
I plan on doing that sometime today. I am trying to be fair and balanced having owned the other brands too. I want to continue testing out all the features too. I need to get over to Seattle and make sure the 4G flies like it did on the Charge. How is the 4G working for you Stetson? Are you in a 4G area?
Not in a 4g area yet, Omaha... will be here "by the end of the year"

Upvote 0
Only had 3 bars for these tests but I tend to get higher numbers with full bars (obviously lol)

Attachments

• CAP201105291615.jpg
    CAP201105291615.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 71
  • CAP201105291616.jpg
    CAP201105291616.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 61
Upvote 0
My concerns after 5 days of LG Revolution (Recap of multiple posts):
1. Battery Drains quick in 4G areas, compared to Charge
2. Slower download speeds in 4G areas, compared to Charge
3. Slower Mobile Hotspot and dropped signals in 4G area, compared to Charge
4. Camera Screen outdoors, really hard to see, compared to Charge
5. USB connection Icon will not go away without rebooting
6. Memory is not verified... Multiple incorrect sources.
7. Stock keyboard is crappy. Swype is OK.
8. Bing, what more do I need to say.

Upvote 0

There is a lot I like about this phone. Also there are a few major things I do not. I will be exchanging it for a Charge tomorrow. All in all it is a good phone though.

Upvote 0

i think your post may give someone the wrong impression, so i feel compelled to provide a little rebuttal (based on 4 days of use):
- i'm on the outskirts of a 4G area all day....my battery has never lasted less than 10 hrs yet
- not intimately familiar with Charge, but my 4G-outskirts area gets ~9mbs (better than my cable modem)
- the screen is indeed relatively hard to see in direct sunlight, but i have yet to see a phone that isn't
- i do not experience the usb icon issue
- memory specs not verified, but "practical" memory no issue from my experience (includes hd video testing)
- keyboard is ok, but certainly could indeed be better
- deleted all bing icons, installed google.....bing essentially unnoticeable to me (bing who?)

hope that alleviates some concerns. rev definitely has some issues, like all phones, but i'm quite happy with it and would definitely recommend it to others.

Upvote 0
There is a lot I like about this phone. Also there are a few major things I do not. I will be exchanging it for a Charge tomorrow. All in all it is a good phone though.

What are the major things you don't like? From your first comments it sounded like you really liked the Rev. Also, you said that the weight was just right but the Charge is a full ounce lighter, I think.

Not picking, just curious since I just ordered a Rev and am awaiting delivery.;)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones