• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LG Security Update Frequency

Muckle Dabuckle

Feb 10, 2014
Has LG pledged to push out regular security updates to the V20? The T-Mobile variant now has the December security patch (thank you LG Bridge), which isn't terrible. My V10 was still stuck on the September security patch when I traded it in yesterday. I've noticed my wife's Note 4 is still getting regular security patches and has either the November or December update. The lack of security updates for my past LG phones has concerned me and almost made me switch to Samsung (I even contemplated Apple). Should we have hope being LG launched the V20 with Nougat?

don't know about Tmobile. But my device on VZ has the December update - I got mine in October and got both the november and the december update.

That is a great schedule. Not sure what patch T-Mobile's V20 shipped with. According to their software page (which is way off sometimes) the December patch, that they released last week, is T-Mobile's first update from the original V20 software. So Verizon has had two security updates to their V20 and T-Mobile only one. I could be wrong though. Just hoping LG & T-Mobile treat the V20 better than the V10. I think it took them over six months the patch that quadrooter vulnerability thingy.

Now I'd like to get 7.1.1 or something but we will see what we will see I guess

That would be nice.

Upvote 0
Any LG longtime owners give some info on OS updates? Do you still expect 1 major update and then a few minors and jobs done?

I've had the LG G2, G3, G4, V10, and now the V20. What you describe is what I have experienced on T-Mobile. One major OS update and maybe a security update or two over a year (I usually get rid of them when the warranty is expiring).

Upvote 0
Has anyone received a security update for the V20 in the last few months? Still stuck on December 2016 on my T-Mobile variant. Trying to determine if this is a T-Mobile problem or LG problem. I thought Google made it a lot easier for manufacturers to push out security updates. What gives?

Sick of having to trade my phones in once a year just to get software updates. Even my Amazon Fire HD 8 (that came out roughly the same time as the V20) has had four software updates. $90 tablet: supported. $750 flagship phone: not supported. "Why would we update your phone when you can buy a new one to get the most recent security updates!" I may be a headphone jack away from switching to Apple.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Has anyone received a security update for the V20 in the last few months? Still stuck on December 2016 on my T-Mobile variant. Trying to determine if this is a T-Mobile problem or LG problem. I thought Google made it a lot easier for manufacturers to push out security updates. What gives?
Sick of having to trade my phones in once a year just to get software updates. Even my Amazon Fire HD 8 (that came out roughly the same time as the V20) has had four software updates. $90 tablet: supported. $750 flagship phone: not supported. 'Why would we update your phone when you can buy a new one to get the most recent security updates!' I may be a headphone jack away from switching to Apple.

I'm on Sprint and have the Feb 1 update

Reactions: Muckle Dabuckle
Upvote 0
I'm on Sprint and have the Feb 1 update

Thanks! Sounds like a T-Mobile problem. I've noticed over the last few years they seem to support only Samsung and Apple devices. I thought maybe LG and T-Mobile decided to do quarterly updates but it has been over three months since the last update...so much for that theory.

I've even been checking for updates manually through LG Bridge (which usually drop weeks and weeks before T-Mobile pushes them out) and still nothing.

Upvote 0
Thanks! Sounds like a T-Mobile problem. I've noticed over the last few years they seem to support only Samsung and Apple devices. I thought maybe LG and T-Mobile decided to do quarterly updates but it has been over three months since the last update...so much for that theory.

I've even been checking for updates manually through LG Bridge (which usually drop weeks and weeks before T-Mobile pushes them out) and still nothing.

It is not just a T-Mobile problem. The last official security update issued for the V20 by Verizon was in December, 2016, which is VS99513A.

Upvote 0
It is not just a T-Mobile problem. The last official security update issued for the V20 by Verizon was in December, 2016, which is VS99513A.

Wow! That's bad. So it's T-Mobile and Verizon for sure. Sprint has updated it and, if I wasn't dreaming, the AT&T version has been getting the April security patch (I think I read a few forum posts at XDA making the claim). Seems to me if two of the four major carriers have updated the V20 it may not be LG's fault. I know a lot of the vulnerabilities that these patches fix are just hypothetical or only created in the "lab"...still frustrating and no excuse! I was hopefully optimistic when I started the thread. LOL

Upvote 0
Wow! That's bad. So it's T-Mobile and Verizon for sure. Sprint has updated it and, if I wasn't dreaming, the AT&T version has been getting the April security patch (I think I read a few forum posts at XDA making the claim). Seems to me if two of the four major carriers have updated the V20 it may not be LG's fault. I know a lot of the vulnerabilities that these patches fix are just hypothetical or only created in the "lab"...still frustrating and no excuse! I was hopefully optimistic when I started the thread. LOL

Totally no surprise to me that Verizon is slow on this. They have a history of being exceptionally slow on getting any software updates out for their phones. They always claim that they perform extensive testing on any and all updates to make sure they are compatible with their network/systems and that process is lengthy. I don't know if there is any real truth to that, but that is what they have always claimed.

Upvote 0
Totally no surprise to me that Verizon is slow on this. They have a history of being exceptionally slow on getting any software updates out for their phones. They always claim that they perform extensive testing on any and all updates to make sure they are compatible with their network/systems and that process is lengthy. I don't know if there is any real truth to that, but that is what they have always claimed.

I can see some truth to that being they offer way too many phones (I swear their Droid line offers more models that T-Mobile's entire stock). Not sure what T-Mobile's excuse is being you basically have a choice between Apple, Samsung, and the seemingly nuisance LG. Anyway, I do see some value in the "testing for compatibility" excuse...it's just starting to get annoying. I'm pretty sure I read an article about security updates after the "stage fright" scare and LG and Samsung pledged monthly security updates. So possibly more evidence pointing to the carriers holding things up.

Scarey thing is the April patch fixes security lapses in certain Broadcom Wi-Fi chips. Did LG use them in the V20? Do I have to worry about using Wi-Fi on my phone? I can't find any info. Providing timely security updates would prevent any worry.

And I bet when we finally get a new security patch it will be something like the February one. LOL It's a shame too being a lot of burned Note 7 users picked the LG V20 as a replacement.

Upvote 0
And I bet when we finally get a new security patch it will be something like the February one. LOL It's a shame too being a lot of burned Note 7 users picked the LG V20 as a replacement.

Are you kidding? If and when Verizon releases the next update for the V20, I bet it will only be the January security patch.

Upvote 0
Are you kidding? If and when Verizon releases the next update for the V20, I bet it will only be the January security patch.

LOL! That is what I really think too...I was just trying to be less negative. :D

I wish these carriers wouldn't sell phones they have no intention of supporting (especially phones closing in at $800). Or better yet hire more people to test software updates.

Upvote 0
Since this thread is already at the top and apparently I like seeing myself type:

Today I pressed the update button on my V20 and it waited and waited and waited for about a minute and a half (usually takes ten seconds to tell me there is no update)....AND....still no update. It's like one of those claw machines: it had my update and then dropped it at the last minute?

Upvote 0

You should now have the April security patch on Verizon. T-Mobile last place now. My only offense was buying LG on T-Mobile. Even Blu phones are getting the April security patch!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones