• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LG system data stealing half if my storage!

Bossman3009

Lurker
Apr 21, 2017
Hey there guys im here to discuss a very annoying issue im having with my phone. I JUST got this phone 2 days ago and im already experiencing issues.
I've only downloaded about 4 apps so far and my 8 GB phone is saying its full when I try to download another app. Now as a apple customer I've never experience this issue so as you can guess im pretty upset with my choice of changing my apple device to this phone. I've checked my phone and I've found the problem... System data! Now you know how annoying it is to see that your phone alone is taking 4 GB on who knows what and there's no way to delete it. At this point there's nothing I can delete all I have is the Facebook and snap chat. What can I do to free up my 4 GB. I don't have a PC so can't root my device to fix the problem so what else is there. My system data keeps on steeling more space. I went out today and bought a 32 GB SD card all for nothing. I tried to make it my main storage but noooo my phone doesn't allow it bummer. I dead fell like I've made such a bad choice trading my phone but that's what the n64 emu can do to you. Thank you android just another reason to hate you!

8GB is the total storage installed, so has to include the operating system, low-level firmware, recovery module, system cache partition, as well as your apps and actual app data. That stuff lives in separate partitions, and it's not uncommon for storage menus to list the whole size of these partitions as "system data" (different manufacturers describe this in different ways).

4GB sounds about what I'd expect for this, so my guess is that most or all of it is the system partitions (which is why you can't remove any of it).

Then there's a further catch: the system needs to keep some space as working storage for temporary files, so it will refuse to install apps before you use all of the space.

It's too late now, but in my opinion nobody should be selling 8GB devices now - that's too little storage to be usable. But before you compare to your iPhone remember that you have bought an absolute bottom-spec budget device there, and I'm afraid you got what you paid for (or a bit less) - though I stick to my earlier statement that phones like that just shouldn't be in sale. All you can do is move what you can to sd, and check the phone specs before buying in future.

I looked up that phone's specs btw and it would have been low end in 2012, never mind today. If you are buying on a budget there are much better devices than that - look at some of the Motos for example.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
The difference is that the smallest capacity iPhone currently being sold is 32GB - with no expansion of course, so you need to store your media in that too, but still very different from 8GB.

Of course that also costs $400 (plus sales taxes) in the US, whereas the K7 is available off-contract for $94 from Amazon. And that's why although it's perfectly reasonable to say "this phone is a piece of ####", it's not reasonable to say "I wouldn't have this trouble with Apple", because the K7 costs less than a quarter of the price of the most basic iPhone. A Moto G5 Plus wouldn't have any of these problems, and would still cost only half what the iPhone does.

(The K7, incidentally, is a 2016 handset powered by what was Qualcomm's bottom of the range processor in 2014. That tells you that it was designed with one and only one objective in mind: make it cheap.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones