• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root LG Tribute Stock ZV5 Deodexed & Unmodified [4.4.2]

This is normal. I severely debloated my stock zv6 and I still have more or less the same amount of space. I think- big word there, that the internal storage partition has a set amount of space. And I believe the system partition is limited to ~2.5gb. Again, this is just my speculation. We have a max internal storage capacity of 4gb but this is allocated to certain parts of our phone. You could probably repartition the system to give internal storage more room, though I'm not sure how to go about that. Building from source, we could probably knock down the Rom size to ~1gb. By the way, if anyone in our threads is familiar with setting up a build environment through virtual box/Ubuntu and could assist me, or link me to a good tutorial, I will attempt to build AOSP and CM11/12 for our phone. I'm fairly familiar with linux commands. I think I can do it with a little help. And I do own this device, so I can test myself before uploading anything. My neighbor was nice enough to give me his password, so I now have access to high-speed internet for roughly 14hrs a day. So, I really want to take advantage of it and get more development going for us. Also, I should mention, I have our kernel source from LG and their proprietary sources for building Zv6 Kit Kat. Along with instructions from LG regarding dependencies needed for the build.

Reactions: Hollywood 74
Upvote 0
reviving an old thread because i need some help.
i cant flash from sdcard because it has invalid arguement.
would like to flash kdz file with lg flash tool but i cant find the kdz file for this phone. if anyone has it that would be awesome. idk what happened. hubby turned off/ rebooted phone and it stuck at the boost mobile logo.... wont load past that...
adb doesnt see phone. i can get into recovery (obviously) but its stock recovery...
i can get into download mode as well.

any help unbricking or flashing stock firmwares or installing kdz file( if anyone has it) to this phone would be greatly appreciated. we use this phone for interent as our other phone cant be rooted yet...

download mode shows phone has root... just wont boot

Upvote 0
For LG Tribute only.

Deodexed, Debloated, Rooted Stock ZV5 KitKat 4.4.2
e2nas_stock_ZV5_deodexed_v2.zip

Flash in custom recovery as follows:
  1. Download ROM
  2. Put the ROM.zip on your sdcard if not already
  3. Reboot to Recovery
  4. MAKE A BACKUP!!!!!!!!!!
  5. Wipe data/Factoy reset
  6. Install ROM from sdcard
  7. Reboot
  8. Enjoy!

Hello All,

Well, things were going well, but I've screwed something up and am now here to ask for help. I've got an LG Tribute on which I have TWRP v2.8.5.0, and had no difficulty following the instructions above and having everything work perfectly.

After the phone was up and running I got the message about the update from the V5 to V6 software from LG and stupidly hit restart and install. That was the beginning of the end.

I'm now stuck in a boot loop where I go in to TWRP. I have tried doing a factory reset and reflashing, which although the flash works still leaves me in a TWRP boot loop.

I realize the Tribute is a now ancient bit of technology but I'm having fun teaching myself more about Android, custom ROMs, and TWRP using it.

If anyone has any advice about how I might get things back to a state where the phone actually boots into Android rather than TWRP I'd love to hear it.

Brian

Upvote 0
Hello All,

Well, things were going well, but I've screwed something up and am now here to ask for help. I've got an LG Tribute on which I have TWRP v2.8.5.0, and had no difficulty following the instructions above and having everything work perfectly.

After the phone was up and running I got the message about the update from the V5 to V6 software from LG and stupidly hit restart and install. That was the beginning of the end.

I'm now stuck in a boot loop where I go in to TWRP. I have tried doing a factory reset and reflashing, which although the flash works still leaves me in a TWRP boot loop.

I realize the Tribute is a now ancient bit of technology but I'm having fun teaching myself more about Android, custom ROMs, and TWRP using it.

If anyone has any advice about how I might get things back to a state where the phone actually boots into Android rather than TWRP I'd love to hear it.

Brian
https://androidforums.com/threads/twrp-bootloop-fix-after-update-ota.922585/

Upvote 0
HasH_BrowN,

Thanks much! Just curious, do you still have the ZIP file somewhere or can you tell me what I need to do with the two commands you show in order to create one?

I know how I am about fat fingering when it comes to commands this long and would rather use a ZIP file, even if I have to make it myself once told how to do so (and I don't mean using a ZIP utility, but how I need to format what is to be zipped up).

The link in your original thread to the ZIP file is now dead.

Upvote 0
HasH_BrowN,

Thanks much! Just curious, do you still have the ZIP file somewhere or can you tell me what I need to do with the two commands you show in order to create one?

I know how I am about fat fingering when it comes to commands this long and would rather use a ZIP file, even if I have to make it myself once told how to do so (and I don't mean using a ZIP utility, but how I need to format what is to be zipped up).

The link in your original thread to the ZIP file is now dead.
I'll have to dig for itit (might take awhile). But the commands will work fine. Just follow the directions, its easy (I've got big fingers too).

Upvote 0
HasH_BrowN,

Thanks again. Did this very carefully by hand and it seems to be working since the device is now trying to boot into the reflashed OS (and taking its sweet time on the first boot - it just hit the initial talkback screen).

Several additional questions:
1. Are these two commands "a generic solution" to any TWRP boot loop? I've never gotten caught in one before but am wondering if these are situation specific or are a way to make TWRP "stop misbehaving."

2. Can one safely apply the OTA V6 update or should it simply be rejected, repeatedly?

3. Is there something that can be safely deleted to make the phone stop trying to activate? This thread suggests /carrier/itson but I'll be darned if I can find that. I'm not having any issues flashing ROMs but I'll never activate this device on Sprint's network and I'd love to just get rid of the whole process, since it doesn't complete successfully anyway and insists on repeating at every power-up.

Thank you very, very much for your assistance. It is deeply appreciated.

Brian

Upvote 0
HasH_BrowN,

Thanks again. Did this very carefully by hand and it seems to be working since the device is now trying to boot into the reflashed OS (and taking its sweet time on the first boot - it just hit the initial talkback screen).

Several additional questions:
1. Are these two commands "a generic solution" to any TWRP boot loop? I've never gotten caught in one before but am wondering if these are situation specific or are a way to make TWRP "stop misbehaving."

2. Can one safely apply the OTA V6 update or should it simply be rejected, repeatedly?

3. Is there something that can be safely deleted to make the phone stop trying to activate? This thread suggests /carrier/itson but I'll be darned if I can find that. I'm not having any issues flashing ROMs but I'll never activate this device on Sprint's network and I'd love to just get rid of the whole process, since it doesn't complete successfully anyway and insists on repeating at every power-up.

Thank you very, very much for your assistance. It is deeply appreciated.

Brian
Basically it will work on any device that the same file locations.

I wouldn't do the update. As far as I remember the modem is borked, not sure.

As far as the activation, there are several options. The easiest is to use a file manager to locate ITSON. Either delete it or rename (.bak). You could then go through the system and get rid of any other files/apk's that deal with activation. But MAKE A BACKUP B4 ALTERING THE SYSTEM.
There is also the way that I do it, but it involves using other programs to find dependencies and application child references. But that's another ball of wax.

I wish I could be of more help for eliminating the activation, but I have switched to another device (first the Volt, now G3) and am using custom firmware.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones