1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support LG v10 Unusual Charging Speed?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Aricchi, May 21, 2016.

1. Aricchi

Aricchi Lurker
    None

May 21, 2016
    I just purchased an LG v10 yesterday, new, from Verizon and I'm wondering if the charge is unusually slow and there may be some manufacturing issue or if I just have too high of expectations?

Using the Quick Charge, my phone claims to take about 2 hours and thirty minutes to charge from around 10%. Using the same Quick Charge cable but plugged into my desktop, my phone says it will take 5 hours and some minutes to charge.
    Is this unusually slow?

This is my first time using an Android device.
    Really appreciate any answers or suggestions, thank you!

Advertisement

2. eebvending

eebvending Member
    None

Feb 23, 2010
    Since nobody has responded yet I will jump in but unfortunately I can't answer your question definitively. I have a V10 as well so your topic caught my eye. I have only used the cable with the AC adapter so I can't say for certain if it is normal for the process to be slower when going the USB/PC route. However I do believe I have read on Android forums that it is indeed slower charging that way. Hopefully someone with more info will reply to this for you.

Aricchi and Mikestony like this.
  3. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±

Sep 10, 2010
    Male
    Next to you
    I'd like to chime in also and I can attest to using the cable only via laptop will definitely cause the device to charge slower.
    I believe that is inherent in the computer usb port putting out a limited amount of current....I think .5 amp vs the wall charger using the same cable which is much higher, therefore charging the device quicker. :D

Thanks for the input @eebvending and you are correct about the slower charging via computer ;)

And @Aricchi, welcome to AF!!

Aricchi and KOLIO like this.
  4. Aricchi

Aricchi Lurker
    None

May 21, 2016
    Thanks so much for the replies! I found it obviously charges much faster when I'm not downloading a bunch of things. ^^;

Mikestony likes this.
  5. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest
    None
    Using the supplied plug & cable,it shouldn't take no more than 80-90 minutes tops to fully charge the V10.
    The stated stats for charge times are a guesstimate at best,particularly on LG devices.
    Another LG peculiarity (a harmless one) is the 100 % full indicator.
    In my use,this stays at 100% for a ridiculously long time,which I believe to be intentional BS from LG to put people at ease regarding battery usage,so they can go about their day after the initial daily 1st use of checking mail/messages/etc.. w/o the battery usage concerns lingering.
    The V10 does quite well in overall usage between charges,should make it through a day before plugging-in for the evening.
    In a sense,I see where LG's intentions are good,but,it seems the 100% reading lingers way too long to be believable.
    Again,I have no concrete proof of this,just comparisons with other mfgs similarly powered devices & battery usage.

Aricchi and Mikestony like this.
  6. Aricchi

Aricchi Lurker
    None

May 21, 2016
    Thank you for the reply!

That makes a lot of sense, if it is the case. I did notice that the v10 stays on 100% for quite a while, it seems, compared to other devices (and I definitely feel better about it lol). I don't particularly have a problem with it considering the complete battery life is not terrible plus there's the option of a backup battery for mid-day.

The main reason I purchased the LG v10 as opposed to the Galaxy s7 or Note 5 was the comfort of having a removable battery. Battery replacements on non-replaceable battery devices are not overly expensive and only once every 1 1/2 - 2 years but I read that the s7 in particular is built in a way that makes battery replacement without costly damage to the phone very difficult (link).

And the LG G5 seems like it has too many kinks with it since the whole modular thing is a completely new concept for LG, or so I've heard.

#6 Aricchi, May 22, 2016
    Last edited: May 22, 2016