1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

LG V20 Security Update Not Working

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by laceyd18, Feb 16, 2018.

1. laceyd18

laceyd18 Lurker
    None

Jan 27, 2013
    I bought a used LG V20 (Verizon) phone off of eBay from a seller that I have purchased from before and haven't had any issues, but this time I am.

When I woke up this morning - it said that I had a security update so when I got to work, I plugged my phone in and did the update. Well, it took forever to come back on and then when it did, it asked me to install the update. So I did a chat with Verizon and he told me to go into safe mode, blah blah blah, and none of that worked either. I disconnected from the WiFi to see if that was the issue and we thought it was but it SLOWLY took forever for the android update to download after my phone came back on and then when it was done, it told me to install the update AGAIN. I really don't want to factory reset this phone considering I did all of the transferring and what not yesterday. Can anyone help me out here?

Advertisement

2. psf57

psf57 Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 9, 2015
    Female
    You 1st download the update THEN you must install it. No problem here. Also you must be connected to wifi to download then install update.

3. laceyd18

laceyd18 Lurker
    None

Jan 27, 2013
    That was how my phone was doing it - I had no control over that. I figured it out by doing more research and looking at the update history. It updated to 18A then 19A and then AA. The update notification is gone now. I was completely unaware of it being 3 separate updates. I have never had a phone do that before.

Thanks for your response.

4. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Unfortunately most manufacturers and carriers are lazy. They *could* write updates that would be comprehensive rather than incremental (Like Lineage OS), but they don't. So, as you found out, you have to apply them one at a time in order.

5. laceyd18

laceyd18 Lurker
    None

Jan 27, 2013
    That is pretty ridiculous! I was getting so frustrated and then I thought "let me just look at the history and see what it says". I am used to not having to update anything because I had the LG G4 for ages and finally upgraded cause I wasn't getting service anywhere anymore, my camera had a black smudge on it, it was slow, etc. Maybe I can actually enjoy the damn phone now lol

6. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    I get the monthly security patches on my G6 and it only takes a few minutes to update, but when I turn on some older phones I have, updates are pretty backed up and can take an hour or more to get them up-to-date. It's like installing an old version of Windows and then having 126 pending updates ... and then after that it finds 47 more. :rolleyes:

LG V20

The LG V20 is a flagship that launched in September 2016. The device launched with Android 7.0 Nougat out of the box. The phone featured a 5.7-inch Quantum IPS display, Snapdragon 820 chipset, dua-rear cameras,a secondary display, and more.