1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips LG X Power - Make SD Card part of internal storage.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Rob22445566, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Rob22445566

Rob22445566 Member
    None

Dec 21, 2011
    From what I've been reading about Android Marshmallow, it has a new feature that allows for the adaption of SD cards to extend internal storage.

The first time it sees a new SD card it's supposed to offer the option to format and make it an extension of internal storage. Something this phone really needs. At least on mine I could never get it to offer that. I tried doing a factory reset twice but it never appeared.
    I've always been on the verge of maxing out my internal storage.

So, this weekend I did some digging and found that some manufacturers are DISABLING that feature!!
    It sure seems to me like LG is doing that. Anyone else agree?

But... there's a hack to force the formatting and make it part of internal storage.
    And it Works!!!
    https://www.androidpit.com/how-to-format-microsd-cards-as-internal-storage?sac=true#comment2380548

Check out this screen grab of my Storage specs. Total storage 45.33Gigs
    Capture+_2017-10-15-22-15-52.png

The hack uses the ADB command shell to force the partitioning.
    https://www.xda-developers.com/install-adb-windows-macos-linux/
    I ran into several stumbling blocks along the way, as this was my first time using ADB, but it finally worked.

The main command is: (sm partition disk: 179.64 private)
    But I couldn't get to work for quite a while because the syntax is incorrect.
    You must remove the space between : and 1.
    The correct command is (sm partition disk:179.64 private)

After doing this hack, now the majority of my apps automatically install on the SD card and so does there data files. I use several music and podcast apps that would not allow me to specify the storage area and I was always maxing out the internal because of them... Now, the apps and the podcasts files are all going to SD storage without doing a thing.

Rob

Advertisement

Shoe Queen and ihateumorelol like this.
  2. Shoe Queen

Shoe Queen Lurker
    None

Feb 18, 2018
    Female
    I did work! THANK YOU for sharing this. I'm new to android dev stuff but I got it figured out after some trial and error. Thanks again! :)