1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Liability?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by cmhobbz, Jun 23, 2011.

1. cmhobbz

cmhobbz Member
    None

Apr 19, 2010
    Just a thought, but let's say I was in a situation where I needed to dial 911. Now let's say that before or during that call my phone random reboots or powers off. If I am in a serviced location, and this happens, does it create a liability issue for either Verizon Wireless or HTC?

I can't seem to recall the details of the 911 statement, but being that the random reboot issue is a failure on their ends... it seems to me that this could really be a big problem for them. And if so... it surprises me that they haven't already resolved this issue, based upon the above scenario.

I'd be interested in hearing everyone's thought on this, as well as anyone who knows whether the 911 statement makes this a mute question.

Take care all!

Advertisement

2. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    Seeing as most legal professionals will not answer hypothetical questions you would need this to happen before getting a full answer, you would be tasked with the burden of proof. Are you going to be able to prove that the phone rebooted and caused greater damage than would have happened otherwise? Also liability law differs in each state some states if you are 1% at fault for the damage or negligent you can not recover from another party, so you would need to prove that the initial cause of you calling 911 was at no fault of your own.

3. sevenstars

None

Dec 16, 2009
    and you'll get an infraction. WTF? Infractions? Wh
    supercilious, condescending douche bag, and hide i
  4. CharlzO

CharlzO Android Expert
    None

Apr 2, 2011
    Male
    Computer Programmer
    And to add, without breaking down the whole thing to find it, there's also the fine print saying that VZW doesn't guarantee service at all times, or whatever...

5. Mr_Stump

Mr_Stump Member
    None

May 18, 2010
    To prove you didn't know you were using a defective hand set before you tried to make the call would be difficult to too. Since it is a known issue.

6. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Guest
    None
    If the connection is severed to 911. Then 911 will always call the number back and if they cant get an answer they will send fire and police to where your phone resident address. TO try and see if you are ok.

7. Filosophic1

Filosophic1 Member
    None

May 23, 2010
    U.S.C.G. Licensed Captain
    South Louisiana
    Unless you are using a Thunderbolt...when 911 tries to use your last known position according to the Thunderbolts GPS, they'll send fire and police to the next town over :D