• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Liberty GB is out in the DONATE TOOLBOX ONLY, not yet released to the public!

I'm running Liberty GB right now, and I gotta say-- it's pretty damn snappy. I used Apex; Fission; Liberty 1.0, 1.5, and 2.0; and now this. Definitely the fastest and most responsive out of anything I've used. I highly recommend it once it reaches full release.

EDIT: It's also probably worth noting that I'm running Launcher Pro+. I've experienced no lag or issues whatsoever with it, and it seems to be running better than it did on any of the Froyo flavors of Liberty/Apex/Fission/stock.

As for the whole "buying a beta" thing... The important thing to remember is that the Liberty Toolbox paid version existed before they started allowing those who owned it to test out new versions of Liberty. The initial idea behind it was that you were supporting the devs with what is essentially a 5 dollar donation, and, in return, they threw a few extra features your way. One of those tokens of thanks, now, is that you get to test a beta. I'll repeat that: a beta. It's not like they're charging for the use of Liberty.

They are working very hard and offering very easy installations for Liberty, when they really could just tell everybody to piss off. When I bought the paid toolbox, I did so because I wanted to support the devs with 5 bucks. I've bought apps that cost that much, and I think they at least deserve that for building what I think of as the best part of my phone. I just so happen to get to test a beta for my support, which is good and all, but I still would have supported them anyways.

Not only that, but it's a good and more practical way to test on a large scale without arbitrarily selecting certain users to upgrade. We all know how different our phones can be despite them being the same model (look at quadrant scores, battery life, etc. that vary widely for no apparent reason, all else equal). They need a big sample to test, and this is the most practical and fair way to do so. Aside from this, they'd have to travel to the various forums and hand-pick users from God-knows-what criteria.

-Exhale-

Sorry, just wanted to give my two cents on that. Lol I can understand people's frustration for what, on the surface, appears to be a "pay-to-play" beta, but one has to remember that the main function of the paid toolbox is to support the devs-- not get early access to beta builds.

Upvote 0
I'm running Liberty GB right now, and I gotta say-- it's pretty damn snappy. I used Apex; Fission; Liberty 1.0, 1.5, and 2.0; and now this. Definitely the fastest and most responsive out of anything I've used. I highly recommend it once it reaches full release.

EDIT: It's also probably worth noting that I'm running Launcher Pro+. I've experienced no lag or issues whatsoever with it, and it seems to be running better than it did on any of the Froyo flavors of Liberty/Apex/Fission/stock.

As for the whole "buying a beta" thing... The important thing to remember is that the Liberty Toolbox paid version existed before they started allowing those who owned it to test out new versions of Liberty. The initial idea behind it was that you were supporting the devs with what is essentially a 5 dollar donation, and, in return, they threw a few extra features your way. One of those tokens of thanks, now, is that you get to test a beta. I'll repeat that: a beta. It's not like they're charging for the use of Liberty.

They are working very hard and offering very easy installations for Liberty, when they really could just tell everybody to piss off. When I bought the paid toolbox, I did so because I wanted to support the devs with 5 bucks. I've bought apps that cost that much, and I think they at least deserve that for building what I think of as the best part of my phone. I just so happen to get to test a beta for my support, which is good and all, but I still would have supported them anyways.

Not only that, but it's a good and more practical way to test on a large scale without arbitrarily selecting certain users to upgrade. We all know how different our phones can be despite them being the same model (look at quadrant scores, battery life, etc. that vary widely for no apparent reason, all else equal). They need a big sample to test, and this is the most practical and fair way to do so. Aside from this, they'd have to travel to the various forums and hand-pick users from God-knows-what criteria.

-Exhale-

Sorry, just wanted to give my two cents on that. Lol I can understand people's frustration for what, on the surface, appears to be a "pay-to-play" beta, but one has to remember that the main function of the paid toolbox is to support the devs-- not get early access to beta builds.

im glad to hear that your liberty gb is snappy. for me it was less than snappy.

Upvote 0
Paying for a beta release seems a little strange. Generally you open an alpha or beta to general public so you get the most feedback and then when you release a full featured rom with most or all the bugs worked out you can charge a premium. Most people that tested it will pay to upgrade. I have always supported the developers and have donated to that team and its individual developers many times. but to be honest this is a little lame.

just my 2 cents.

Upvote 0
Paying for a beta release seems a little strange. Generally you open an alpha or beta to general public so you get the most feedback and then when you release a full featured rom with most or all the bugs worked out you can charge a premium. Most people that tested it will pay to upgrade. I have always supported the developers and have donated to that team and its individual developers many times. but to be honest this is a little lame.

just my 2 cents.

How is it lame? You get full featured roms for free! Your position makes about zero sense. You'd rather pay for the finished product rather than the beta? How does it matter what you pay for? It's a goddamn donation.

Personally, I haven't donated anything to Liberty. I'm just thrilled that they eventually allow me to download their full-featured roms that have been somewhat tested for FREE.

Don't hear me whinin' none.

Upvote 0
How is it lame? You get full featured roms for free! Your position makes about zero sense. You'd rather pay for the finished product rather than the beta? How does it matter what you pay for? It's a goddamn donation.

Personally, I haven't donated anything to Liberty. I'm just thrilled that they eventually allow me to download their full-featured roms that have been somewhat tested for FREE.

ok first off watch the language!
secondly its your opinion, tom made a valid position, he doesnt feel he should pay for a beta when betas should be released to the public so that more people can test it, and get far more feedback. so far your position makes no sense, and i do not see why you think toms makes zero sense, alot of people would rather pay for a full released rom version instead of a beta thats full of bugs.

Upvote 0

Not even sure how to reply to this needles post. But, No charge = more testers for the beta. Then you get a quality product to charge for when you release it. I don't mind donating I have donated hundreds of dollars to developers and forums withing the android community. I have also donated to the Liberty team. That is not the issue.

Reactions: VoidedSaint
Upvote 0
Not even sure how to reply to this needles post. But, No charge = more testers for the beta. Then you get a quality product to charge for when you release it. I don't mind donating I have donated hundreds of dollars to developers and forums withing the android community. I have also donated to the Liberty team. That is not the issue.

i wouldnt stress too much about it tom, he doesnt realize this is a community of friends, that doesnt care what we do with each others money, just as long as feedback is giving, mainly in a positive effect

negativity can only bring more harm than good, and he shows that in his post. hopefully if he posts again, it will not be in a negative format, but in a constructive way that can help others.

again only hoping

Reactions: tom108
Upvote 0
i wouldnt stress too much about it tom, he doesnt realize this is a community of friends, that doesnt care what we do with each others money, just as long as feedback is giving, mainly in a positive effect

negativity can only bring more harm than good, and he shows that in his post. hopefully if he posts again, it will not be in a negative format, but in a constructive way that can help others.

again only hoping

I agree. I don't post much (most everything I have to say is already said by the time I have something worthwhile to say), but I do like this place a lot. One of the big draws is the friendly connection with the other regulars in here. To see someone post a response like qwazi's kind of stinks.

Oh, Tom, I have to agree with VS, what you said makes complete sense to me. I mean, pay, don't pay, that's up to whoever has the money. But, one does really limit their numbers if people who have donated before have no access to betas. I actually think that's one of the best ways to think of it.

Reactions: tom108
Upvote 0
How is a theme choice considered "laziness"?

Liberty supports theming and typically releases with multiple themes. Why is having the option of the stock color scheme so terrible?

You have no clue what I'm even talking about so don't jump down my throat bud. Install Liberty 2.0 default and let me know how you like the quality of the notification bar icons. Not to mention the laziness of them not even updating the market to the latest version.

Upvote 0
Just saw a tweet that testers are going to get a copy of Apex alpha soon! I'm sure that Apex will be released in a thread to everyone.

Liberty ran a bit better for me on Froyo than Apex. But, on GBlur it doesn't seem that much different from, well, GBlur. I have been having issues with wifi since the jump to GBlur and was hoping to find a ROM that addressed this, thought Liberty was at first, but now realize there's no change. Oh well, guess I will have to give GB Apex a shot.

Upvote 0
Liberty ran a bit better for me on Froyo than Apex. But, on GBlur it doesn't seem that much different from, well, GBlur. I have been having issues with wifi since the jump to GBlur and was hoping to find a ROM that addressed this, thought Liberty was at first, but now realize there's no change. Oh well, guess I will have to give GB Apex a shot.

Unfortunately, the wifi issue is probably going to be under the locked down kernel that can't be changed. Not sure that any dev will be able to fix but I'll gladly stand corrected.

Upvote 0

When I bought the paid toolbox, I did so because I wanted to support the devs with 5 bucks. I've bought apps that cost that much, and I think they at least deserve that for building what I think of as the best part of my phone. I just so happen to get to test a beta for my support.

To be honest, JRummy isn't asking for donations. He's giving those who donated somewhat of a kickback. In retrospect, I don't think there's anything wrong with it. Instead of giving it to his own testers, he's others an early sampling.
I didn't use Liberty so I didn't buy the app (donate)...
What you guys don't get is that many of us donated but can't get this beta, in most cases we donated much more than the $5 that the people who get the beta paid. I donated $15 but I didn't get this "extra" for my support. However, I didn't expect much from this version being that the main person has left team liberty, GummyJar will be the Rom to look out for if you liked past versions of Liberty.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones