1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Liberty -> Gingerbread

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Thunder Moose, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Thunder Moose

Thunder Moose Lurker
    None

Aug 21, 2010
    Hi all,

I'm currently on a driod x, using the last update of froyo and Liberty rom. I'd like to upgrade to gingerbread so I can stream netflix, but I'm not sure how to maintain root access once I revert to a stock froyo state.

I'm not super techy with my phone, i'm a z4 user and I understand thats now not an option for gingerbread.

I've read the guides available and many say that rooting GB isnt possible, you have to root froyo, install GB via apk, which gives you rooted GB. I also hear this root may not stick after reboots.

Could someone please explain how I would go about getting GB on my droidx in layman's terms?

I'm willing to take whatever steps necessary as long as I dont brick my phone, and I end up with GB, root access, and liberty rom if it's available.

Thank you.

Advertisement

2. cougar214

cougar214 Android Expert
    None

Feb 9, 2011
    Liberty rom is not available for the official 596 release of GB. Yet anyway. Rooting the OTA of GB is not possible at this time but if you flash Team Black Hat's version it IS rooted and you do not lose root.

If you would like to give this a go the first thing you will need to do is SBF your phone back to stock Froyo. With you running Liberty I would suggest you SBF and do a factory reset right from the get go. Lady Liberty doesn't like to let go....lol.

Look for roolers guide on flashing, rooting, etc. It's at the top of this forum. It has all the info you need and links to the files you will need to SBF your phone back to stock Froyo. I know you say you are not tech savvy so we will do this one step at a time so as not to confuse you.

Lets work on SBF'ing your phone first. You will need two things. The first thing you will need is a program installed onto your computer called RSDlite 4.9. The second thing you will need is the full SBF file for flashing your phone back to stock. those can be found on roolers guide.

Once you have RSDlite setup on your pc and you have the SBF file ready to go come on in and we will move on to the next step which is actually SBF'ing your phone. I hope i'm making this as easy as possible for you.

3. Bugly

Bugly Android Expert
    None

Jan 30, 2011
    Male
    VW mechanic
    Tacoma, Washington
    There are a few people who think there is a shortcut that will work, don't buy into it, it will only cause you to bootloop.
    The only clean, proven method id to SBF and go from there.
    Maderscok, although it is a great program while working within FroYo, will NOT work to upgrade to GB. Please keep this in mind if you run across this and wonder if it will work.

4. Thunder Moose

Thunder Moose Lurker
    None

Aug 21, 2010
    Ive downloaded all the files you've mentioned here, however I am more interested in the Liberty Rom that I have now, than I am with the gingerbread updates.

I'll keep an eye on the liberty scene to see when a GB version is released, at which time i'll follow your above directions and work my way through the process.

Thank you cougar and bugly for quick, informative posts.