• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Library-based music player that displays song title, not file name?

halfbeing

Aug 1, 2011
On my old LG phone, there was a music player that displayed the song title from the sing title tag rather than the filename. I thought this was normal, just as it is for music players on Windows, but now I am trying to find a replacement app for my Galaxy S21 Ultra and I am coming up with a huge and complete blank. What is there that will do this? I have tried 15 apps so far, but none of them can do this most basic thing.

To be specific, what I need it for is to to be able to quickly navigate a collection of piano accompaniments for voice exercises. None of the filenames indicate which exercise is which. All that is in the song title tag.

Reactions: UUXIII
What exactly do you mean by "library-based"? I ask because every music player I've ever installed has been able to display song titles based on tags, so I must be missing something and that term is the one thing I can see that might be an additional requirement.

Maybe if you named some of the players you've tried it will help avoid people suggesting things you've already ruled out (or, perhaps, people will be able to tell you how to do it with those apps?).

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
ID3 is a metadata container most often used in conjunction with the MP3 audio file format. It allows information such as the title, artist, album, track number, and other information about the file to be stored in the file itself. There are two unrelated versions of ID3: ID3v1 and ID3v2.
Each music file has a file name.
You need to ID3 each music file for this to happen...

Upvote 0
Thanks for all your replies. I'm really sorry. I only realised afterwards that I'd mislabelled a folder as I was transferring it from the SD card of my old phone to the storage of the new one. That was why I was seeing loads of unfamiliar file names. Neither those files, nor the MP3s I was looking for, had ever had tags. That was why the apps weren't showing tags. There weren't any.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones